• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is garbage matte gone in CC 2015?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I missing it, but is garbage matte gone in premiere cc 2015? I don't see it anywhere. It's a real bummer if it is. 😕 Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Yes, Garbage Matte effects have been deprecated in favor of the more capable masking tools that are available with every effect in Premiere Pro. In lieu of Garbage Mattes, use the Opacity effect with a mask:

masking.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that that's a valid use for the Garbage Matte effects, and Opacity masks are no substitute for them given this scenario since Opacity is not available as a master clip effect. For now, I'd suggest the workaround that has been posted, which is to create a simple project in CC 2014 that uses the Garbage Matte effects on a clip, then open the project in CC 2015 and save the effects as presets. That way, you can apply these effects at will in CC 2015 as both sequence-level effects and master clip effects. It's not the best workaround, but pretty painless and you should only have to do this once to give you back the same functionality as CC 2014.

While I do think that Opacity masks offer more flexibility and capability in general versus the Garbage Matte effects, I'd encourage anyone who wants and needs them back to make your case here: Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form‌. I did!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the post. I did provide feedback to Adobe and hope that they will bring back the garbage matte effects. I have only been using Premiere Pro for about 6 months and I have had to learn on the fly, so to speak. For the professionals that use these programs and are very well trained on their functionality, it is great for them but for those of us that are relatively new and are learning as we go, it isn't very nice of Adobe to remove the tools that I am sure that many of us are familiar with using and then come out with a new version and then the tools are gone. It really messes with your head and you are immediately put into a "what do I do now" mode and trying to figure out how to use these new tools. I don't mind learning new things but not when you are trying to get a project done for a client. I actually went back to the 2014 version after upgrading to the 2015 version and will await to see what Adobe is going to do. A lot of time wasted upgrading, uninstalling, and reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bring back the garbage matte! You have made this more difficult than it needs to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this still work if you want to block out objects outside of the green screen so you do not have to crop the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at Joost's post nr. 16.

As a transition thing: You can create a CC2014 project with the Garbage Mattes applied to any clip (color bars). Open it in CC2015 and save those mattes as presets. Then you have them again.

Here is an example: Dropbox - garbage_mattes_for_Pr_CC2015.prproj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the work around.

It's easy to draw a mask, but it's not clear what to do next with respect to Keying.  I'll have to wait for a tutorial video.  I don't use this software day in and day out so I'm not getting the complete picture on how to use Keying with a mask.  I don't consider removing something an upgrade.  Leave the old way and add functionality would be the method they should take.

Regardless Ann, thank you for the sane / useful workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave the old way and add functionality would be the method they should take.

That's kind of what they did.

They added feathering, inversion, bezier control, rectangles, elipses  and tracking.

They applied it to many effects as well as fixed clip FX instead of it being a standalone effect.

Its just called Masks instead of Garbage Mattes.

FYI . the garbage matte was little buggy and imprecise. It was severely limited in functionality and useabilty.  R.I.P Garbage Matte.

How hard have you looked for a video tutorial?

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Masking and Tracking

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a lousy idea.  Support referred me to this post.  WTH...  Did Microsoft buy Adobe?  This is the kind of goofiness Microsoft pulls.  This is not an upgrade.

Mattes and Masks how they now are is definitely an upgrade.  They now work how professionals expect them to and as a result of  many feature requests.

They offer far more functionality than just a basic  "garbage matte" and can be used for power grading and cc. as an example.

Well worth ones time to learn how to use them practically and creatively.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, that these are more powerful in getting more detailed masks done.

Just don't know why they took the old tools away if they had no technical reason to do so.

Give us the more powerful one and leave the basic one intact

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smoothbassman wrote:

Agree, that these are more powerful in getting more detailed masks done.

Just don't know why they took the old tools away if they had no technical reason to do so.

Give us the more powerful one and leave the basic one intact

Here you go

If you want your Garbage Mattes back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said...VERY well said.  This is NOT an upgrade.  Was there some security issue, perhaps, that Adobe doesn't feel obligated to mention?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the possibility to allowing the freeform masking tool to make new mask vertices outside the frame?  Is it currently possible and I just missed it?I

It looks like to me that I had to create the Opacity mask, then take a few extra steps to drag the bottom vertices out of the frame.  It would be much easier to just directly create the mask vertex points outside the video frame. In this case, I want to do this because I have a subject in an interview chair and want his body to extend to the last pixel at the bottom of the frame.  I guess I could zoom in and make a clean line on the last row of pixels, but that seems even more tedious.

What say you, Adobe? Ya feel me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the possibility to allowing the freeform masking tool to make new mask vertices outside the frame?  Is it currently possible and I just missed it?I

Change the Zoom Level in your Program Monitor ( eg 25%) and you can draw the Mask outside of the image area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the opacity mask works great for keying. However, when I apply a transition to the clip (cross dissolve in this case), it creates a dark area where the mask is when it first hits the transition. After the transition is done, it looks fine. The issue applies to every transition I tried. Any suggestions??

040b4d26edd172e83d422c65fd04b550.png746e6b53276f79dcbe1de04227da1516.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into that myself.  Its a bug IMHO

Use Key framed opacity for a transition as a workaround.

Adobe need to seriously look at alpha and opacity issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2015 Sep 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got off the phone with Adobe. To my astonishment, they owned up to the issue and acknowledged that's not the way it's supposed to work.

The agent offered me a really quick and easy work-around. Just open a previous version of Premiere Pro (we used CC2014), import any video and create a new preset with a 4, 8 or 16 point garbage matte. When you open PP CC2015, voila - it's there (in presets) and works like a charm. Apparently, PP cc2014 & PP cc2015 share the same preset folder.

8d5a4f32a7c7c08b18ddb50767cd40e2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again the inept user experience team at adobe has made life harder and more frustrating for Premier users-- this time by eliminating garbage mattes. Instead of editing (making money) search for a solution, Adobe boards confirmed many others have had to waste time, by searching for a solution and learning a new method, in order to perform a once simple task. How many cumulative man hours has Adobe wasted with this single undocumented change? 1000's? Well, what ever it is it's Too Many! Adobe we hire you (by paying to use your software) to make our life easier. Usually you do, but far too often you make it more difficult. We've come to expect unintuitive interfaces that require trail and error key and click combinations that magically make a feature appear. Stupid-- but the Adobe way. Please know, when you change things and don't tell us in a straight forward way, your wasting our valuable time! Please replace your UI manager with someone who understands the importance of making your subscribers job easier. If that's too harsh for you touchy feely Cali types, at least have your team actually talk to people who edit video and other media with your products. I know it'll be for the first time, but its about time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2015 Oct 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again the inept user experience team at adobe has made life harder and more frustrating for Premier users-- this time by eliminating garbage mattes. Instead of editing (making money) search for a solution, Adobe boards confirmed many others have had to waste time, by searching for a solution and learning a new method, in order to perform a once simple task.

Adobe responded to professionals ( feature requests) and made masking far more powerful than the weak Garbage Matte.

It is  simple, powerful and easy to apply. It is a fixed effect on most effects and therein lies the power of the effect. for far more puproses than the crude  simplistic  Garbage Matte.

All progress requires users to undertake the "learning curve".  

Users like you hold us back from features we require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you direct me to a tut on how to use Premiere without the garbage matte?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌

I agree, add lazy to that list.  They demand we fill out a form if we want something they broke fixed.  How about your engineers and managers read our posts? We are not just paying their salaries, but telling them what is wrong, and then they insist we take more of our time (money) and do it a second time in another area.  Hubris.

‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree, I think the mask feature is grand.

Way more than 16 nodes with bezier curves.

And now I am able to feather without going through hoops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At first, I was so frustrated with the Garbage Matte being replaced but what was frustrating was that there was no information on how to lose the greenscreen background now. BUT, once, after a very long tedious time, I found the new Ultrakey in PPCC2015, it works like a total dream. I love it. And, once I set up the Preset for the way I wanted all my interview talking heads to remove the greenscreen key, it is a simple click and it's all done.  So, bravo, PPCC15 . .  but, your tutorials still mostly suck when I'm looking for a How To Do something. They're great on marketing tips and sales features, but how to use the features still needs a lot of work..... Thank you for the Ultrakey in PPCC15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: Ultra Key has been around since at least  CS5. ie Its not new,

Took 30 seconds  to find this...and there are plenty more

Premier Pro CS5 Green Screen Ultra Key | Creative Sweet TV | Adobe TV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree. Its crap like this that's pushing me toward finding another software to edit my work. I'm not a professional and probably never will be, but there is a difference between catering to your professionals and dicking over your non-professionals. I still use CS5 Photoshop because some of the most basic take for granted functions (functions that have existed since photoshop 5) have been removed in the newer versions to make it better for ILLUSTRATORS. Last I checked there was an adobe program specifically for illustrators... I'm getting tired of every damn update from adobe removing something to cater to professionals because it's "better." It's not better when people have to spend far more time learning something more complicated and time consuming than the basic function that was user friendly before. Not to mention all I see in this post is "masking is better than the garbage filter" well the garbage matte is used for more than just hiding unwanted things on the screen. You can also use them for animation effects. And thus far, I'm not seeing/finding any time stamp controls for the anchors. Been trying to figure this change out for over an hour on how to use it the same damn way I used garbage mattes prior. Thank adobe appreciate the new headache. I'm finding it harder and harder to justify spending $50 a month for products I almost have to take a class on how to use again every time a new update comes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else noticed that if you add a mask inside of the Ultra Key effect the screen starts strobing/glitching like crazy? Never had this with the garbage matte. See below...

Adobe Premiere CC 2015 - Mask Ultra Key Glitch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines