• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

will my Premiere Pro CS5 run on windows 10 when it comes out?

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently running on Vista Prof.

getting new PC with windows 8.1 with a free upgrade to Windows 10 later in the summer.

Can I install my current Premiere Pro CS5 on Win 8.1 and will it later run under Windows 10?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2015 Apr 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the final version of W10 isn't out yet, I doubt you'll know until it is and somebody tries it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think Premiere Pro CS5 won't be tested on Windows 10. So, you will have to wait and see if it works fine.

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2015 Jun 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been attempting to install The Premiere Pro CS5 package on a new laptop that has the Windows 10 trial version.

Overall, I like most of what I've seen so far of the Win 10 interface and functions (except Control Panel.) and it has no issue with games I've installed. However, when I loaded the two discs with CS5, everything appears to be installed EXCEPT Premiere Pro. I can find and open Encoder, Bridge, Encore, etc. but NO Premiere. I've made several attempts, but have had no luck. I cannot guarantee that this is due to a failure with Win 10, but I've successfully installed these same discs on a Win 7 computer (and yes, before uninstalling I did un-register and delete the serial # on that computer.) To add to my suspicions that Win 10 (or some related drivers) may be the issue, I also could not install two other creative programs from Serif that - prior to this - I've never had a problem installing. I'll keep digging for answers and post if I find something interesting.

Having used every operating system since MS-DOS, I fell in love with Windows 7, proclaiming it their best EVER... and use it at work every day with CS6. I have hope for 10, but as others here in the forum have cautioned, it may be best to wait a bit. I'm seriously thinking of UP/Downgrading back to 7.

Note: I will eventually be using CC, but I needed to produce a small project at home already had CS5. I also wanted to see how my new laptop could handle the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2015 Jul 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious to know if Premiere Pro eventually worked on Windows 10.  Were you successful?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, no. I was really hoping that the recent rev. upgrade to Build 10162 would help, and I tried to reinstall Premiere Pro again. No luck. Although, like I mentioned, it successfully loaded everything else, which I still think is weird and makes me suspect something else is going on here. Have you had a similar experience? I'm not giving up on the mission just yet.

The only other thing worth mentioning is that I've really grown fond of Windows 10. OK, so far it's been fantastic and I have no intention of down-grading back to 7. I am still bummed that my expensive CS5 suite is not working (software that would completely fill my needs right now) but in the end, I am almost resigned to the fact that, ultimately, I'll be forced to float up to the "Cloud" where Adobe really wants me. I guess there are worse outcomes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering if your laptop meets Premiere's minimum system requirements.  If I remember correctly this Premiere not showing up has been a problem for others with underspeced laptops

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very reasonable assumption, and could very well affect some people. However, I'm currently running Windows 10 on my dream laptop... an ASUS ROG G75. This thing kicks ass! I love everything about it. I finally can run every game I have on Steam at either "High" or "Ultimate." No it is not a CUDA graphics card, but I should still be able to run CS5. In fact I think this laptop has better specs than the workstation I edit with at work using CS6.

I appreciate your thoughts and feedback on possible issues. Keep 'em coming. I'm willing to consider any possibility. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I happen to have a G750JW and it is a perfect video editing laptop.  I did upgrade the memory and installed two SSD drives in my unit.

You did not specify which ASUS G75 model you have but I found several and all that I found had nVidia graphics cards..What does graphics card is in your laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the G750JW?!  😄  I'm jealous. That's actually the unit I really wanted, but just didn't have the budget for. Glad to know it's perfect for video editing. You've given me even more incentive to save my cash. I'm really hoping that my G75VW will do the trick (full specs are below.) That's why I was so anxious to load CS5 - because I already own it and wanted to test my systems capabilities.

I'm not sure why, but there have been several posts within the Adobe forums that seem to discourage people from going the laptop route for editing, or have been quite cautionary. I certainly understand the demands placed on a machine when editing, and that, historically, you generally have gotten more power for the dollar with a workstation. However, when you look at the specs and pricing of today's higher end laptops - such as ASUS units - and factor in the advantages that a laptop can provide, I think the argument begins to weaken. Have you ever used your system in the field with "Adobe OnLocation?"

Personally, I've always thought laptop editing would provide the perfect working situation for me. I'm a full-time, sub-contractor for a non-profit looking to branch out. Frankly, I'm getting sick of always being tied to the same desk at the same location. Much of the work I do could be accomplished at home (or on the road.) I could save tons of money just not having to commute the 30 minutes to work every day. 1-2 would be all I'd need. Plus, my coffee at home is much better than coffee at the office. Another advantage (or disadvantage) would be an extended workday. Now, I leave at 6 to 7pm. At home I could indulge my unhealthy obsession for perfection and work all night.

You asked about my graphics card, so in the interest of full disclosure... I give you my entire infrastructure. I'd be interested in your feedback. Does my unit have what it takes? 

============================

The main drive is a 500GB solid state. Here's the rest...

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

System Model: G75VW

BIOS: G75VW.218

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16336MB RAM

==========================

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce GTX 660M

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0FD4&SUBSYS_21151043&REV_A1

Display Memory: 10159 MB

Dedicated Memory: 1990 MB

Shared Memory: 8168 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To really use a laptop you really have to AC power it as otherwise the performance gets lousy because they slow everything down for battery bragging rights.  Also you have to not plan on editing some of the really complex codecs.  Sometime this year next generation laptops will be coming out with the "SkyLake chipsets.which really has me excited.  Rather than SATA interface drives these will have the newer M.2 PCIe x4 SSD devices so rather than ~500 MB/second SSD'd you will have >1000 MB/sec SSD's  Start saving up.

Since you have a GTX 660M with CUDA capability for Premiere you can enable that with a simple edit of the "cuda_supported_cards.txt" file.  Just add the "GTX 660M".to the list of cards.

Then the next thing you want to is overclock that GPU with something like the EVGA Precision X tool and just change the Memory clock.  With my G750 and the GTX 765M that I have the default Memory clock (GPU-Z) is 1002 MHz.  I have mine running at 1503MHz with no problem with temperature at all.

I just checked and you have USB3.0 ports on your computer.  That means you can use some of the latest generation of USB 3.0 flash drives.  When you leave work copy your project and media to one of these very high speed units and plug it in to your laptop and edit away.  One of the latest great USB 3 drives is the Samsung T1 (256GB, 512GB and 1TB), another one that is great is the Patriot Supersonic Magnum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2015 Jul 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks so much Bill. Great information - very helpful! I did not realize that the 660M was CUDA capable. I'm also impressed with your overclocking specs, and that your system runs with no significant temperature spikes. I had consider doing this, but was afraid of burning out my CPU. I'll check out EVGA Precision X tool. That boost could make a real difference while editing on my G75  - when I finally get to it  :-] 

I'm also relieved with your assessment of the USB 3.0 ports and their potential. I never considered using them for the application you mentioned. Ultimately, I really wanted a system with a Thunderbolt port (like you have on your G750) but perhaps USB will suffice. I wanted one for my video projects, but more importantly, for using an audio conversion device like the Zoom TAC-2R Audio converter. In addition to being a cinematographer and editor, I am also a singer-songwriter looking to record my original material, and from what I've read, the latency with Thunderbolt is extremely low, which is a key advantage. Perhaps if the USB 3.0 is fast enough, I could, instead, get the Zoom UAC-2, which uses the USB 3.0 port. The latency may be low enough for my purposes. Your real world experience has given me very practical food for thought.

Thanks again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AV-Ninja wrote:

Hey, thanks so much Bill. Great information - very helpful! I did not realize that the 660M was CUDA capable. I'm also impressed with your overclocking specs, and that your system runs with no significant temperature spikes. I had consider doing this, but was afraid of burning out my CPU. I'll check out EVGA Precision X tool. That boost could make a real difference while editing on my G75  - when I finally get to it  :-]

Hey be very careful I overclocked the GPU not the CPU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks for the cautionary clarification!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just tried to install CS5 Production Premium to a new Windows 10 machine........no it does not work, at least for me.  Goes through the unzip process then goes right back to the first screen of the unzip process again.  I thought maybe it was just leaving that screen up, but there are no unzipped files anywhere.  I tried using the Windows 10 application compatibility tool, but that did the exact same thing.  Not sure what is actually going on and I am not very familiar with Win 10 so don't even know what to try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2015 Aug 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that stream of information you generated.I'm a very small fish in these waters, and struggling to get back to working with CS5 after a long spell away because of poor health. At least for now, I know to avoid adding confusion the confusion and hurdles that moving to Windows 10 would generate. I've learned (in a fuzzy way) a lot from all the posts that followed. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for all your responses.  I have Windows 7 on a laptop which is truly a workhorse, and everyone has been after me to upgrade it to Window 10, but after reading all these replies and the fact the the pro does not funcation properly, I think I will stay with 7.  I would rather not go into the cloud yet for my Adboe needs, and for all my other needs I have an Lenovo desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

still no luck with CS5 install on windows 10 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines