• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workflow & Project File Best Practices on a Series of Videos in the same Style and Format?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

So I've been creating a series of Educational Tutorials recently, I am now working on the 4th one, and although the topic of each video is different, the style and layout of each video has been the same because they are part of the same series.

They all consist of a to-camera intro by the presenter, followed by a logo and topic title sequence, followed by a blend of to-camera and on-screen tutorial from the presenter.

The topics change, but this format is the same each time.

My question is; does the community have any best practices on creating repeating series' of videos in the same style?

So far I have been creating a brand new .prproj file for each video, placed within a folder alongside a Media sub-folder for graphical assets and recorded footage etc. So that the .prproj file is always with its linked media assets.

Therefore when I come to create the next video in the series, I have to duplicate the previous video's .preproj file, move it to a new folder, and rename it. Then I have to copy/paste a lot of the reused assets from the previous project to the new project's asset folder and relink them within Premiere so that clips in that new project are pointing to assets stored in the same folder, and not the previous project's asset folder.

Then I just delete all the old tutorial footage from the timeline, keep the titles/transitions/overlays, and edit with my new footage instead.

Today though I was wondering about whether I should be creating a kind of project template at this point, to use instead of having to duplicate entire old videos and relink them? A .prproj file containing just the titles/transitions/music/logos I use each time.

Or, should I be using just one .prproj file for this entire educational series, and using new Sequences for each video so I don't have to relink the assets each time?

Trouble is I've encountered bugs in the past caused by having Sequences and Nested Sequences within a project.

Creating repeating series' of content in the same style is nothing new, so I'm wondering if the community has any best practices to improve the efficiency of my workflow? 

Thank you!

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

One thing you could look into is using 'Productions':

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/production-panel.html 

You can keep your reused assets in one project/bin and then you can use them in whatever project/sequence you want.

Duplicating media for every project is unnecessary and wasteful. At the very least you should have a common assets folder which you import into whatever project you're working on, no need to copy the media over and over.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing you could look into is using 'Productions':

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/production-panel.html 

You can keep your reused assets in one project/bin and then you can use them in whatever project/sequence you want.

Duplicating media for every project is unnecessary and wasteful. At the very least you should have a common assets folder which you import into whatever project you're working on, no need to copy the media over and over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, @Mike Dziennik . I'll give Productions a read over and try out implementing them.

They sound like the kind of thing I was imagining. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines