• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintain folder structures on import

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add an option to preserve empty folder structures on import!

Often I or an assistant editor will create a folder structure in the finder with empty folders to be populated with media later on in the production workflow (i.e. Final mix stems, color files, graphics). Currently if you import empty folders or folders with only one item in them, those empty folders disappear on import and the single item that was inside them is left outside any folder. This prevents planning and proper organization, and I'm not sure what the benefit of it is? Fewer folders? But I wanted those, that's why I made them.

Just leave the folder structures as they are, don't change them. If some users want an option to "automatically remove empty folders on import" then add that, but don't make removing them the default.

Importing empty folder structures is an essential organizational tool for any medium to large scale professional production. I made this same request in May of 2018 and have never gotten a response or seen it addressed, I really I hope I do this time!
Idea Started
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

today is my favorite day "Mirror OS Directory on import" is in Beta.  thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023
Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 192 Replies 192
192 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At some times you just have to question yourself if you really want to continue using Adobe products. I really don't get how this problem exists for years and no-one responds ...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of us who are producing a lot of content on a regular base in a free lance way or working at scale in a production environment that process has been ironed out. Standardization helps streamline workflow to focus on the creative work. So having a placeholder system to then populate as the project progresses rather than having the media files already in hand prior to setting up the project directory / bin foldering system seems like an absolute no brainer. When can we expect this minor feature update yet powerful productivity booster to be implemented in the road map?

I can't help but wonder if there has to be a minimum number of votes and comments before this gets prioritized for the roadmap? Does anyone have a point of contact on the inside?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get how it can be this hard to implement this change in Premiere - it seems like it would be LESS WORK for premiere to just accept the folder structures as they are on the drive rather than try to consolidate everything on its own, often times incorrectly from an organizational standpoint.

But then again this is what you get when you have programmers solve problems without understanding the workflow behind it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Import Media will not create folders, if they contain only 1 file.
The files are put to the folder above ... thats NOT, what I expected.
All files are presorted into a folder structure, for coming from cams, audio devices or other sources.
I would like to import my complete folder struture with ALL folders, even when containing 1 file only
Thank you
Best Regards
Bert

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also need this. When we do 2-300 projects a year, making a standard folder structure is a massive time-saving and refindability issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Even when the folder is empty!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to be able to import a pre-made folder structure (without files in it) into premiere. Right now, when you import folder structure it only imports the folders with files in them and ignores the others. This is completely inefficient for AE's and Editors who need to maintain a certain organizational folder structure. Please fix this immediately!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed -- this is pretty straightforward stuff. Should be an import setting or preference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please please please can we have this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems a bit wrong that the head of Adobe got $45 million compensation in 2020 and yet here we are just waiting for basic, unambitious fixes for years on end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please address this, it's infuritating.

I've just spent the last hour meticulously setting up my folder structure in Finder with a ton of stock footage and it's come into PP with 2 of the folders present...??

So bored of this banal stuff... Does anyone at adobe actually monitor this? Or am i better off on the Adobe PP facebook page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! its seems like a bug, but dont. Alway was like that. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe. Please have this sorted. Please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid for a 3rd party plug in for this function. It's called Watchtower from nightsoftheeditingtable. Saved me hours if not days just trying to organise things properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everything that Phil D. says - it should be an option to remove empty folders not a default action.

I feel like the software caters to the non pro users frequently. Workflow is super important as is file/folder structure. Let us import our empty folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing exact folder structure is critical for proper organization. Please make this revision a high priority item. It's costing a lot of us tons of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This is infuriating, and surely not that complicated to sort out 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe – I used to be able to import folders as bins when they had a single file in them, and PP is now dumping all of the files in the same place when I import them. PLEASE sort this out. It's incredibly frustrating and time-consuming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is extremely important guys!!! lets go

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's actually insane that Premiere doesn't do this already. I regularly import folders with only 1 item in them because i plan on populating that folder in premiere with things like adjustment layers, or things from other projects.

ADOBE - if i drag a folder into premiere, i want that folder to be in premiere. otherwise i would have just selected the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes this is really annoying. I would go as far as empty folders should import too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely ridiculous, why has this feature dissapeared? Now we have to recreate folder structures within premiere? Why! As everyone else has said, add this as an option, not as deafult, unless you enjoy wasting creators time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a ridiculous oversight. Yet another unnecessary inconvenience caused by adobe's absurd overreach in the supposed continued transformation of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding my voice to this. I too miss being able to transfer my folder structure from my file browser into Premiere. PLEASE FIX!!! It wasn't broken!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh...was just forced to update creative cloud to collaborate with a new editor and now to find this ridiculous behavior that ruins all of the systems we have with our project organisation and external editors. Where can we partition for a 'feature reinstatement'??

Votes

Translate

Translate