• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintain folder structures on import

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add an option to preserve empty folder structures on import!

Often I or an assistant editor will create a folder structure in the finder with empty folders to be populated with media later on in the production workflow (i.e. Final mix stems, color files, graphics). Currently if you import empty folders or folders with only one item in them, those empty folders disappear on import and the single item that was inside them is left outside any folder. This prevents planning and proper organization, and I'm not sure what the benefit of it is? Fewer folders? But I wanted those, that's why I made them.

Just leave the folder structures as they are, don't change them. If some users want an option to "automatically remove empty folders on import" then add that, but don't make removing them the default.

Importing empty folder structures is an essential organizational tool for any medium to large scale professional production. I made this same request in May of 2018 and have never gotten a response or seen it addressed, I really I hope I do this time!
Idea Started
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

today is my favorite day "Mirror OS Directory on import" is in Beta.  thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023
Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 192 Replies 192
192 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this. It’s pretty critical to organizing projects for many editors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely ridiculous. WTF Adobe? Please fix this now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This behavior is really annoying and needs to be fixed. Just more unprofessionalism of this program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They still didn't solve this and its a disgrace, I have folders that contain card names and premier just delete it. its a scandal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import a whole shoot into a project which is organised with different card and camera names, Premiere clears it all out so I only have XDROOT or M4ROOT folders with no idea which camera it is unless I manually re-apply all the folder names. I have gone back to v22.2 which is the last time I was able to import the whole folder structures and can't justify updating until this is sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug was fixed at some point. At least it didn't happen for a while back in 2021. But now it's back again! Please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug has been around forever! How has this not been fixed yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having to manually recreate folders inside Premiere that I already created in the Finder is a waste of time and completely pointless. Folders should be imported when we import them. Editors don't need to be second-guessed by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is related to:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/41902426-maintain-folder-st...

Not only has the above request been ignored for far too long, Adobe have compounded the issue with the new Import page.

The new import page is useless for anyone who is organized. And that means just about any professional video editor. Why?

When importing source material it is very likely the source material will have already been sorted into folders outside of Premiere, or be in a predefined folder structure which should be maintained.

Can I do that in the new Import dialog? No. Premiere decides that any imported folder structure is not required and dumps everything into the project panel.

If I have an exisiting folder structure that I import, I expect Premiere to maintain it.

Let me spell this out:
If the folder has multiple files in it - maintain it.
If the folder has ONE file in it - maintain it.
If the folder has NO files within it - maintain it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still having this issue on Aug 20 2022 .. how hard can it be to fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't believe this is still not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the most frustrating things for professional video editors. I can always use a template project with everything built out, but dragging in the already established folder structure would be a life saver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every professional video editor I know use a folder strucure for his projects on the hard drive. I use the same folder structure for every middle or big project for organizing footage and all other data for the project. It would be great if I could import this folder structure from the hard drive, which is already partially filled with data, into Premiere and thus display the same structure from the hard drive in Premiere (even with the folders still empty). I still have to unnecessarily manually create the folder structure in Premiere for each project. Please change that! It can't be that such a basic function for a professional workflow is only available through a third party!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have hundreds of folders from hundreds of shoots across multiple systems, this is critical to management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This NEEDS to be addressed. Media professionals need this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, a constant annoyance on each and every project. Please fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typical Adobe - does not address any user issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've come from Version 22.3.1 to 22.6.2 and all the work I've put into organizing and structuring my footage is for nothing. I'm a professional earning my living with Premiere and editing.
I'd loosing A LOT of time right now, so I'm going back to version 22.3.1
PLEASE ADOBE make Premiere PRO again. Right now it's becoming less and less useable for professionals!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded myself from "important" to "critical." I'm working on a large project right now and I can feel the hours of wasted time building up because of this change in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like a no-brainer to fix this. Media files often come in an organised folder structure and Premiere ruins it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are in late 2022, after learning the software over the last few weeks, I discovered this problem today as a new user to premiere pro. Why the blank would you make life so difficult with file structure for every software you have? I'm SOOO mad I could eat my keyboard!

Just allow users to import empty folders so they can set up a folder template that contains a structure like "footage" "audio" "Graphics" "Photos" "Documents" "Music" and such.

Been around since photoshop 2... not CS2, 1990's photoshop 2. To all new users, I would run to other software solutions. I've already walked away from Dreamweaver to Visual Studio Code. Next is Premiere, Lightroom & Photoshop.

Customer feedback is ignored and customer service has been GONE for years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multicam project with quick turn around super slowed down by this..Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please! we NEED the option to import with the folder structure even if there is only one file inside that structure!!!! I usually start with one file (stock or music etc) in a subfolder and later I add more - but the folders structure disappears uppon import so I need to manually recreate it in the premiere - PLEASE ADD THE OPTION TO IMPORT WITH THE FOLDERS STRUCTURE EVEN IF THERE IS ONLY ONE OR NO FILES AT ALL!!! This is so FRUSTRATING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming in to support the need for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate