• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintain folder structures on import

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add an option to preserve empty folder structures on import!

Often I or an assistant editor will create a folder structure in the finder with empty folders to be populated with media later on in the production workflow (i.e. Final mix stems, color files, graphics). Currently if you import empty folders or folders with only one item in them, those empty folders disappear on import and the single item that was inside them is left outside any folder. This prevents planning and proper organization, and I'm not sure what the benefit of it is? Fewer folders? But I wanted those, that's why I made them.

Just leave the folder structures as they are, don't change them. If some users want an option to "automatically remove empty folders on import" then add that, but don't make removing them the default.

Importing empty folder structures is an essential organizational tool for any medium to large scale professional production. I made this same request in May of 2018 and have never gotten a response or seen it addressed, I really I hope I do this time!
Idea Started
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

today is my favorite day "Mirror OS Directory on import" is in Beta.  thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023
Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 192 Replies 192
192 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems ridiculous, that import will not bring in a folder with a single file. Instead, it just spits it into the main project view. Please fix this already!! It is backwards in project organization.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work in Productions either. Please maintain folder structures on import as it is a necessary feature, to turn a folder into a bin, and any subfolders underneath into sub-bins. It does appear broken as I can't replicate any folder import without seeing errors like assets outside their respective bins, and sequentially number folders not imported. This is the same behavior as I see in Projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Review December 6 2022

Would love to see the meeting minutes from that review.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the list of annoyed users.  Whoever made this decision should be fired and blacklisted from ever working in software UX. As should those who refuse to fix it in the face of so much negative user feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's OK to be annoyed. But your subsequent commentary is unwarranted (blacklisted? Fired? Please don't suggest such things!)

As I was advised in the PP Professionals FB group, there are instances where editors do not want this to be the case - apparently working with RED footage and others have reasons too.  

For myself, as the OP stated, i just want a button to turn this functionality on or off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough. I'd settle for a button to turn it on/off.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd take a button (on by default) but never have seen situation where you wouldn't want to preserve folder structure. Someone prob not doing a proper job. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this has only messed me up. I've never encountered a situation where I wanted to trash my folder structure on import. Adobe has had 20 YEARS to implement this - there is no excuse for not having this be the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's infuriating is that it used to be fine.  Until a few years back when it just disappeared 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if they could do what Resolve does. They have three import options
although it is called adding to Media Pool. Premiere should do it like
this:

Import Folder
Import Folder and Sub Folders
Import Folder and Sub Folders (create bins)

The third option is what I use in Resolve to keep my folder structure
intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This chart shows the billions of dollars of stock buybacks Adobe does rather than invest in their products:

https://ycharts.com/companies/ADBE/stock_buyback#:~:text=Adobe%20Stock%20Buybacks%20(Quarterly)%3A,3...

They are spending billions hiking their share price, presumably from subscription money, which we wait years for really simple fixes. I would really like Adobe to spend a lot more money on Premiere. It's widely used in the industry but seems to constantly suffer from very low investment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nowadays, the Adobe ecosphere is one of workarounds. If you are using template folder structures that you fill for projects, you could add two empty TXT files to every folder. These are valid files for PP and count for the two necessary files. Later in PP after import, you could sort or filter for txt files and get rid of them. It's dumb, but it works.

If your template structure changes, you could (on PC) employ some Robocopy code or some such, to copy two empty TXT files to each (subsubsub..)folder within a root folder with a mouse click. A little research involved once maybe, but worth the result.

It's ridiculous, though, I agree...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think anyone answered your question: "Am I crazy?"  

No, you are not crazy.  I have the same quetion, and the answers I've seen so far are making me feel crazy.  

All I want to do is drag a folder of organized audio and video into the project, and have it keep the same structure.  But now I have to do each piece of media separately.  All I want to do is drag and drop the media into the project, just like it used to work, and there isn't any support, now I have to organize my media twice, and that makes me crazy.  And you wouldn't like me when I'm crazy, or maybe you would, I don't know, at any rate.  I hope there is a solution to this one day.  I only use Premiere for personal quick and dirty projects, not in the professional sphere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all your media single items in folders?

As I don't have any issues as long as there's more than one item in a folder. And yes, it's annoying you have to do that, but still ... most of my folders have a number of files, and are never a problem.

So ... again ... is your problem with folder with mulitple clips, or with single clips?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Folders with only one or no clips do not appear. It’s super frustrating and stupid. It didn’t use to be like that!

Jason Kileen
Senior Editor
www.kileencuts.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, that really ... is just wrong. Period.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an external hard drive with video files and audio files organized by
the date of the shoot.

An example of one such day is as such:
2022_0623
AUDIO
2022_0623_R07_01
0623_215023.WAV
0623_215023L.WAV
0623_215041.WAV
0623_215041L.WAV
VIDEO
2022_0623_IP_01
IMG_3174.MOV

It's with multiple clips in multiple folders organized by date. If I
select a dated folder, the Audio and Video folders display as empty. I
have to drag and drop the files into the folders. Ideally I could select a
whole month's worth of footage and have it display in the project folder
already organized.

Best,

Steve

Thanks,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Just curious ... are there any non-letter bits to the naming for those folder trees? Premiere can be wonky if anything but a letter, number, or underscore is used in folder tree naming. And ... do weird stuff.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a big priority, but it's time to finally allow users to import a folder that only has one asset it in. It's been an issue for years. Currently, a folder has to have two or more assets within it for Premiere to recognize it as a folder. If it's just one asset Premiere will remove the folder upon import. Again, not a major issue, but it's defintely a nuissance that comes up often.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2023 Feb 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's been filed as an Idea ... I'd recommend everyone goes there to vote up the "Idea" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question: Which method for importing are you using PP-side?

DO NOT use the "Import"-tab that is no screwed under the menu bar and pretends to be a UI-revamp of the previous import menu. It is not!

In fact, PP has now the old and new one parallel... If you want to import your stuff with folders you have to a) make sure you have at least to valid files in every subfolder (txt-files will do as fillers) AND b) drag and drop your (root) folder(s) into the project panel. DO NOT USE THE IMPORT TAB!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"now screwed under"

"at least two valid files"

Jeez, what's with my typing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's a long discussion about this in on the forums, but as I have no idea if Adobe is reading and paying attention I'm specifically reporting this as a bug right here, right now.

I, for many years, have organized my mac project folders by asset: music, vo, stills, video, renders etc and am used to dragging and dropping the folder direct into the project panel so I retain my heirachy and organization. 

This is my established workflow, I'm not here to be told not to do it this way (unless it's RED or BRAW etc footage that needs to be specifically imported with it's metadata, I'm a freelancer and thus have no consistent media type I work with).

The drag and drop import of assets is no longer retaining my folder structure and this is a problem, it's totally wasting my time I see many others arguing about this and am formally requesting from Adobe that the issue be addressed promptly. Need to keep the folder structure. It's important because organization workflow begins at the Operating System level, and must continue into Premier.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be helpful to know which OS you are on, and which specific way you access those imports.

From a Finder/Explorer window, from the Project panel's Import option, or from the MediaBrowser panel?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

funnily enough the other thread I'm referring to has a lot of dialogue from you Neil, I watched you go back and forth with people for 40 comments before I decided to report this as a bug separately.

I'll update my original post w my OS info, but I think I described my import workflow pretty specifically...

Votes

Translate

Translate