• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Maintain folder structures on import

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add an option to preserve empty folder structures on import!

Often I or an assistant editor will create a folder structure in the finder with empty folders to be populated with media later on in the production workflow (i.e. Final mix stems, color files, graphics). Currently if you import empty folders or folders with only one item in them, those empty folders disappear on import and the single item that was inside them is left outside any folder. This prevents planning and proper organization, and I'm not sure what the benefit of it is? Fewer folders? But I wanted those, that's why I made them.

Just leave the folder structures as they are, don't change them. If some users want an option to "automatically remove empty folders on import" then add that, but don't make removing them the default.

Importing empty folder structures is an essential organizational tool for any medium to large scale professional production. I made this same request in May of 2018 and have never gotten a response or seen it addressed, I really I hope I do this time!
Idea Started
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

today is my favorite day "Mirror OS Directory on import" is in Beta.  thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023
Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 192 Replies 192
192 Comments
Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure how to edit OP, so for reference I'm on OSX 11.7.3 (Big Sur) and using Premier (and AE etc) at the 2022 release. (22.6.2 Build 2)

Here was the other thread that had a lot of comments and seemingly no resolution

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/am-i-crazy-folders-are-ignored-on-import-wit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

weird this didn't post before, but:

here's the other thread

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/am-i-crazy-folders-are-ignored-on-import-wit...

My OS

OSX 11.7.3 Big Sur

Premier 2022 (22.6.2 Build 2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

doctorsney,

Upvoted.

Whether this is a bug or feature request, here are more related requests that were probably migrated from UserVoice. There are probably others. Upvote them all. There is a staff response in the first link, but it may have posted earlier than indicated. Migrated comments came in with the migration date. The second link has the most votes.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/please-preserve-folder-structure-on-import/idi-p/1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/maintain-folder-structures-on-import/idc-p/1352290...

I did not find this one, which also shows as migrated:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/41902426-maintain-folder-st...

I summarized my understanding of the different outcomes of drag and drop, project panel right-click import, media browser, and the new import mode window:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/importing-folders/m-p/13249271#M433954

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, I totally agree, the way folders are at times ignored if you have only one or zero items in there is just wrong. And needs changing.

And like so many other users, I've been harping on that forEVER. Both here in in-person at NAB to the devs. I simply do not understand why that hasn't been changed.

Past that, I am a practical person primarily. Depending on the method of import, Premiere can and will behave differently. Which is the reason for my question of how you were importing. This is not to say that is "correct design" or anything. Just ... it's what it does. Right or wrong is irrelevant to my questions there. As if there's a way to get your situation at least working for now, I'm all about that.

While trying to get the devs to fix the blame app.

So, actually, you have not answered my question. Because as I listed, there are three different ways you might be doing this, and again, they all seem to have slightly to hugely different implications in practical use.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, I upvoted what I could.
Neil, 

my import options seem to be as follows:

1 - Drag and Drop into my project panel, I like this and use it a 1/3rd of the time

2 - Command+I to bring up the Import Dialogue and then select my items, sometimes folders of items. I use this 2/3rds of the time but would like to drag and drop more.
3 - Media Browser - I use this import method for things like RED or BRAW, anything where there's complictaed junk in the folder structure or spanned clips etc.

I'm experiencing issues with methods 1 and 2. This USED TO WORK I'm not sure when or why it stopped working, but I'm so used to working this way that it's a built in expectation for me, I'm I'm a little stumped as to why/when this changed.

As I said I'm a freelancer and I wear many hats, so while I'm on Premier daily when I'm busy, sometimes I'm quiet for a few weeks or a month or two, and that was to eplain why I'm not sure when the change occurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Those details are always handy because in this complex and convoluted app, exactly how you do something is so often needed to be able to replicate the behavior and/or advocate effectively for changes.

Let alone fill one of my main goals here: just get people working in a flawed app as-is. And for the record, all apps, being made by humans, are flawed. Period. It's not a "pejorative" comment, simple reality.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty Angry about this. And we pay so much for this software and it cant do the easyest tasks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround until this gets implemented (and in case it never does) to maintain folder structure on import:

1. Start to drag and drop from the Finder or Explorer to an After Effects Project tab, holding Alt/Option after the drag and letting go after the drop.
  2. In the After Effects Project tab, select all and then copy (or cut) and paste from the After Effects Project tab to the Premiere Pro Project tab.

Important:  Press Alt/Option after you start the drag from the Finder or from Explorer and hold it until after the drop.

File > Import also works for step 1.

The After Effects project does not need to be saved.

- Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Warren Heaton – creative! But... This might work for large projects, but in my role (journalist) I'm regularly creating and dragging new bins into PP, often with single clips (see screen grab). The only workaround I've found so far is to duplicate files inside their folders in Finder, then drag into PP as usual. Slowly filling my HDD with duplicate files and faffing about with this, that or the other workaround just isn't what I expect from Adobe – though maybe I'm an incurable optimist...

The frustrating thing here is that this never used to be a problem. I don't understand why Adobe changed PP to stop single-file folders importing as bins – nor why they aren't listening to folk who just want it back to how it was.

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 20.24.45.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ajwazzer 

I've also had success on the Premiere Pro side by placing a small screen capture in each folder in the Finder or in Explorer.

After Effects should be fine - even if the folders are empty - as long as the footage items are supported file formats.  I've noticed that SRT files get ignored by After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We so shouldn't have to do this. This is a professional editing suite, isn't it...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's so fusrtraing about this is that it used to be how PP worked. But then a few edge cases came up where this workflow caused problems but instead of fixing the workflow for those edge cases they just removed the feature for everone. Ughhh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to keep the folder structure when there is only one clip in a folder during import into Premiere? Videos are only kept in folders if there are only more than 2 of them in a folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Burke,

Sorry about that. Please upvote this feature request; https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/maintain-folder-structures-on-import/idi-p/1351592...

Add any comments there, if you like.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import a folder in Premier Pro that only has one file, Premiere omits the master folder and just imports the file. This is a major major problem when they decide how to override my organization choices. For example if I import a folder titled "Stage Left Go Pro" and the file inside is "GX010005.MP4," Premiere omits the Stage Left folder and just imports GX010005.MP4.  The same occurs if there is another nested folder with the name GoPro and another file inside that. If it is only one file, Premiere throws out all folders but the root file. Imagine when you have several Go Pros labeled with various locations. This can get quite confusing. Adobe is helping no one with this software choice, although I consider it a bug or a flaw and it needs to change immediately. So annoying and time consuming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue: file a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman 

@Kevin-Monahan 

If this is a "known issue" it is not listed in Adobe documentation.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/known-issues.html

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Known issue" as in well known pain point across the user base.

However, it's not technically a bug or problem with code in any respect, simply a design choice. Therefore, not on the "known problems" list.

And there's probably several Bug filings about it on this forum. Upvote them all.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R Neil Haugen,

I find your belief that systematic, cogent decision-making is the basis for the "Known Issues" documentation entertainingly optimistic.

A reminder - if anyone from Adobe is reading this - that localized versions for "Known Issues" on 23.4 are still not updated.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @stantonk25895590,

I'll move your request into the thread discussing this issue. I hope that's OK.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Remote Index,

It is a feature request not a known issue with the current version. Known issues are only issues for the current version.

I merged the post into the proper request. The product team can make comments as to why it works this way. I prefer that it worked as expected where even if the folder contains a single clip or no clips, the folder structure should still be maintained for organizational purposes.

I agree that the documentation is sparse regarding this issue and should be more explicit in the section "How do I retain folder structures..." here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/premiere-pro-faq-import-export-header.html

I will file a request with the docs team after the weekend. I hope that's OK.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Remote Index,

Thanks for your post. Known issues are published for 23.4. There is a delay in the localized version of this document, which is typical for all new documentation. I'll have to ask for your patience on that while the localization team completes their review. I hope that's OK.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @davisbot,

Thanks for the post. I hope that this feature will be impletmented ASAP for you. In the meantime, here is an article with a workaround for you. I agree with you and upvoted your request.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not just about folder structures to start projects.  although that is a big issue.  the other issue is continually bringing in folders of gfx and footage thoughout the course of a project that are organized well on the finder level but become just loose video files in a premiere project.  when a project has hunderds of files it is essential to keep the organization that is created on the finder level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @erono6468563,

I read your message. I have a similar set up with bins containing lots of assets, including graphics, sound effects, music, and VFX that I wish to reuse in many projects. I have created a separate project for each of these elements. I then create a production containing these projects and they're always available when I create a new project within the production. I was thinking this might be a nice workaround for you while we wait for this feature to get implemented.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate