• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please stop making it so difficult to work with different Premiere-versions!

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is really annoying to work with Premiere pro, dealing with clients who doesn't always have the newest Version. The changes you make with the upgrades are not that huge, so I don't See the reason to make it impossible to work with a slightly older Version, importier a file from a neuer one. I appreciate the whole adobe suite very much but this is really a pain, since the updates are coming more frequently
Idea Under review
TOPICS
Interoperability or 3rd party tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Hi Florian,

while this is a rather critical and large change to the way the application works and will take some time to be implemented, we'll definitely put this under consideration.

There's more than one solution to this problem, though.

A good short term opportunity is to use the parallel install feature in the creative cloud application. It should help to at least take away some of the issues working with people on a different version of the application.

Another thing worth keeping in mind is th...

Votes

Translate

Translate
52 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to side with Adobe on this one.
Certain bug fixes, feature changes/additions, and changes to underlying foundational code, simply must sacrifice backwards compatibility. You CAN work hard to maintain it, but then your code gets even more complicated, and therefore buggier. You've got all this obsolete legacy nonsense that you have to support for no reason...

It can be done, but especially with all the normal bugs that adobe still has to deal with, I woudln't want to add this onto the pile of things making it more difficult for them.

My solution is to always have the most recent version of Premiere on my laptop. Then I can at least open the project and see what's inside, and I can export a cineform clip of the whole timeline if need be. Our main desktops have the most recent STABLE version of premiere. (Currently 2017.1.2 is the most recently stable, but we are unfortunately on 12.0.1.)

One thing you can try is to export to XML. Then import that XML into your older version of Premiere. Mooooost things should remain the same in the project. Some stuff could be missing completely, though. I think I've had trouble with clip speed not being retained, for example.

If worst comes to worst, you can always export a whole sequence with certain layers made to be invisible, and then do another export where other layers are visible/invisible... And then recombine them into a new .prproj.

More on-the-mark than your suggestion, would be this one: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/33843463-slower-release-sch...
Not great, but we're working with what we have, not with what we wish we have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about a save in compatibility mode option where you can choose to strip the project file of features newer than a year or two?? Would you go for that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when our customers start projects in the newest version
and then handing over these projects, we are also forced to
so that we can open your projects.
Partly you could not open between different CC18 projects.

In addition, you can find in the network to get around your lock,
that's not nice,
that's not practical if you're a company and not a single fighter,
but it works and if you try it, it works very well.
In reality, that was just an ADOBE way of forcing customers to update.
Is this still necessary in times of software rental at ADOBE?

The biggest ADOBE problem is that you do not understand your customers

Greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to 'downgrade' projects in the past - and have done so by opening the project in a text editor and adjusting the 'version number'. Caveat emptor - I'm sure there's something it will break - but it hasn't been a problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indicative of why, after over TWENTY YEARS we're abandoning Premiere and Adobe. iterations come too fast and one can't simply "not upgrade" so new bugs and problems are introduced constantly and WE DON'T HAVE TIME FOR IT. So HELLO Avid and Resolve and goodbye Premiere...you were kinda good for a little while at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's especially frustrating when you get pulled up into a new version for whatever reason (external projects started in the new version, etc), and it happens to be a version you have been trying to avoid.

We had to move up to 12.1, despite the myriad issues that it has because we kept getting projects in that were started in it. Now, we're all struggling with the 12.1 (and 12.1.1) problems, and there was pretty much no way of avoiding it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Taran,

that you have to make a big brake,
can be ok.

But then you have to do it clearly
and do not play around in a running version.

In addition, it should then,
apart from effects, etc. be possible the pure cut
from an existing version to a new version
and to be able to transport back.

Autodesk has at the change, a render engine, once over several versions
the possibility had to be new or old.

But what happened in the current CC2018 version,
is the culmination of bad software management.

In the ADOBE forum is to be read, which Apple announced in 2013,
Quicktime 7 will disappear.
And then suddenly you have to work on it in panic?

Why then you do not have the versions CC2017 and CC2018
of the software options just kept the same
with 2x different render machines?
And that also communicated to the tenants.
It's just silly that you always have to deliver new feature,
so that the tenants continue to rent.
Stability, structure and performance can also be part of long term rental clients.
But that's not what ADOBE managers think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PatRick Palmer

Is it actually the case that this is a critical and large change though? It's trivially easy to make a project backwards compatible by a very slight edit to the .prproj file (Premiere basically checks the version number of the .prproj, which can be changed using a text editor), and the only problem with this method is that newer effects and tools obviously aren't recognised.

Wouldn't it be a reasonably straightforward coding job to instead make Premiere throw up a warning if the version check is failed, stating that it was created in a newer version of Premiere and hence some effects etc might be missing, and that it may be unstable? Rather than refusing to open it at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is full of it! here is absolutely NO programmatic reason that Adobe projects must be locked to specific versions except for Adobe wanting to keep people locked into cloud subscriptions. An Adobe Project file is little more than an XML file. There is no functional reason that the XML data could not be parseable by any version of the AdobeCC apps while ignoring the upgraded or deprecated features. Media Composer has done this for years with graceful feature elimination between different versions. No one said it would be easy, but it would be considerably easier to program than the marginally useful bells and whistles that Adobe keeps foisting upon users to rationalize the continued subscription model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an ideal world we could just update to the latest release and let the project update. But we've experienced so many old bugs being reintroduced and new bugs to features already working in previous version that we systematically have to hold on new releases. A postproduction facility like ours cannot spare to find out the problems as we go and debug all day. This is a plague almost every Premiere release as been affected for years and if it's not taken care of by the team very soon, we'll have to look at other solutions for the perennity of our business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate that we can download previous version of Premiere Pro in attempts to resolve these issues. What I don't appreciate is what a tease that function is because many of us need older versions that aren't listed as available for download. Case in point, I need the 2015 version and I spent hours of my day on the phone and typing online with Adobe technical support only to be ultimately sent to this board and nothing else. It seems for years many of us can't open our older files because Adobe has decided to only make certain previous versions available for download. I take some responsibility for stupidly ignoring the advice of friends who told me not to update my Adobe Premiere Pro. Also this notion presented above by the admin of keeping an older version on 1 of 2 editing computer is laughable. My laptop is my second editing computer - IN AN EMERGENCY. Even then I doubt I could edit much on it. I wonder how much money people have lost from Adobe's seemingly short-sighted thinking when it comes to their updates. People use this editing software for their jobs - their livelihoods. Surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@paul Rubin
Below is a link to direct downloads for Adobe CC 2015. In the sidebar you can find direct download links from 2018 all the way back to CS6. I had the same issue years ago and Adobe's own Dave Helmly linked to the website--I bookmarked it and have had to go back to it several times for previous versions. Hope this helps.

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2015-direct-download-links.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backwards compatibility is always a good thing. Far too rare, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could function as more of an import than an open. Some new features and effects won't work, but the majority of the core edit information doesn't change year to year.

A legacy save ability would be nice (Illustrator can do this, After Effects too to a lesser extent), but to truly alleviate the issue for most users, we really need to be able to open newer versions without having to open in the latest version. Ideally we can just open the project (probably being prompted to re-save somewhere new like when we open old projects) and get warnings about anything that doesn't translate. Not perfect, but an improvement over having projects be stuck in the versions they started in. It could also be a separate utility since that wouldn't require an update to all previous versions of Premiere.

Bigger picture, it would be good for project types to change only when absolutely necessary, not just with every version release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, the most simple solution to this is to just have Premiere be able to convert newer project files to be compatible with older versions of Premiere. If I open a newer project in an older version, instead of just telling me "You can't open this."... give me an option to convert it so that it's openable, even if that means getting rid of some features in the project or whatever it would entail. Just offer some kind of automatic solution so that your customers who need some kind of solution don't have to go searching for workarounds. It really shouldn't be so complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ability so save a project for a previous version of Premiere. The same way After Effects does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should be able to save down to the last version of the software and here's why.

• RISK: installing and working only from the latest version of adobe software is very risky with all the hidden bugs that happen every major update.

• FILE SHARING: not everyone takes said risk and works to the latest update.

• FILE RECOVERY: like the situation I'm in now, I worked 20 hours on a project that only now will crash every time it's opened. I have a minute which would be long enough to save a file but is not workable.

• PROMOTES STAYING UP TO DATE: if users can save down, the risk is lessened and promotes more users to provide valuable user data.

Saving to XML: This option does not save applied effects reliably which can mean hours added to the project deadline.

This feature has been needed and requested for over 3 years now. Other adobe softwares have had this feature for over 10. It's time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that this would be amazing!

FYI You can use this tool as well http://www.joshcluderay.com/downgrade-premiere-project-converter/ or manually revert it with the instructions in this post - https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/3804/how-do-i-downgrade-an-adobe-premiere-pro-project-file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree!

FYI I found this today and I am sharing it everywhere I can!

http://www.joshcluderay.com/downgrade-premiere-project-converter/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please allow for backwards compatibility between versions of Adobe Premiere. It is very difficult to work on a project with different people in a company, or outside client, when we all have different versions of a project & one of us can't open or edit a project created in a "newer" version of the same software. This is unnecessary & incredibly limiting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Premiereのバージョン間の下位互換性を考慮してください。
私たち全員が異なるバージョンのプロジェクトを持っていて、そのうちの1人が新しいバージョンのプロジェクトで作成したプロジェクトを開いたり編集したりすることができない場合、会社やクライアント以外の人とプロジェクトを共同で行うことは非常に困難です。 同じソフトウェアなのに。 これは信じられないほど制限的で、この制限は必要ありません。

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

上位バージョンの新機能が反映されないのは仕方がない。それ以外の基本的な編集データを維持したまま下位のヴァージョンでも開ける状態にして欲しい。
It can not be helped that the new version of the new version is not reflected. I want you to be able to open even the lower versions while maintaining other basic editing data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you do a parallel install?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This. It's not like we're trying to open new versions with something created in 1957. It's pretty obnoxious and tone deaf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone,

I am experiencing a very difficult time on this subject. Really appreciate the help

I was using Yosemite with adobe cc 2015 on my mac, however I've dropped by laptop last week and to be able to save it Mac Team had to format it.

And also they upgrade it to Sierra.

Luckly, I was keeping the back up of my premiere project in a hard drive.

Once my laptop arrived I downloed adobe cc 2015 to be able to open the projects, but it was giving me the warning:

The project was saved in a newer version of premiere pro and cannot be opened in this version.

I thought so maybe I download the old version of 2015 so I've downloaded the highest version of cc 2015.

But it gave me the same warning:

The project was saved in a newer version of premiere pro and cannot be opened in this version.

Then, because this is my feature film that I was working on it for 3 years. I started to panic and I download the Premiere pro cc 2017. I thought... This can't be older than the 2015 version I was using.

But No!

But it gave me the same warning:

I contacted with adobe support team, they can't understant the reason and they couldn't find a solution other than exporting as XML.

Which is very difficult for my project because I have 40 different projects file.

I used this website downgraded my files : Premiere Pro Downgrader

and it worked

It is opening right now.

But the image quality of the program is not good as it was.

And after all this I feel scared of this process.

Can anyone know the reason of this

And have a greater solution that converting the project on online website.

All the best,

Votes

Translate

Translate