• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Instructions for updating video driver problem . . .

Engaged ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After getting the "incompatible driver error" for the Quadro pro RTX 4000 that had been working fine up until now, I tried to follow the instructions to fix it.   This takes you to

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/drivers-video-win-nvidia.html

and in Step 2, substep B of that document it says . . .

A. NVIDIA DCH display drivers are supported on Windows 10 x64 April 2018 Update (Version 1803 OS Build 17134) and later versions. Go to this link for more information regarding driver types.

B. Uninstall the Nvidia driver according to these instructions.

C. Before downloading and installing Nvidia drivers follow the steps below to choose the correct drivers for your Nvidia GPU.

But "these instructions" don't appear to tell you how to uninstall the old driver.  They seem to be about installing some new different driver.    So where are the instructions for uninstalling the old driver like it says for step 2 (b)?  The Instructions for downloading and installing the new drivers are in steps 3-8.  

I need to get my Premiere Pro working again and I need clear, unambiguous instructions to do that.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it isn't totally clear at first reading, but when you follow the steps of the Nvidia page you reference, note in step 8 you choose the Custom option, and as they say next in step 9 ... choose the clean install option.

The Nvidia process then removes the old driver and does a clean install.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the Nvidia page I reference is about installing a different driver.   Also, the Adobe page wants you to uninstall the Nvidia driver (step 2) BEFORE selecting and downloading the new driver (steps 3-8), which is different from the instructions on the Nvidia page I referenced.     Should we follow the Adobe instructions or the Nvidia ones, and what are the pros and cons?

Also, how does your PC talk to your monitor or know what your resolution (etc) settings are if you uninstall the driver?   I assume Windows must have some sort of generic default drivers, but which one knows your monitor and resolution settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been through this many times ... and you're over-thinking. It's an easy process done probably thousands of times a day.

Simply follow the Nvidia instructions to install a clean installation. Your computer and OS know how to do this is you simply follow the instructions on that Nvidia page. In the order they say.

Again, I've done that many, many times.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines