Exit

Audition - Restoring Original

Contributor ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro CC v7.2.1

Win7 Pro 64-bit

In Premiere, you have a clip which was edited via "Edit clip in Adobe Audition".

Premiere never changes the original clip, it creates a separate audio file which Premiere uses.

You later reopen the project in order to restore that clip to the original.

There does not appear to be a "restore original audio" menu item for the clip.

How do you restore the clip audio to the original?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Edit Original isn't designed to do what you're thinking.  That feature is working correctly.

The issue is that PP simply does not have the feature that you need.  So here's what I suggest submitting:

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

RESTORE ORIGINAL

I'd like to get the option to undo both the "Replace with After Effects Composition" and "Edit Clip in Adobe Audition" commands, even after the project has been closed and Undo is no longer available.  A simple right click>"Restore Original" command wou

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to the bin and find it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears everytime you edit using Audition, Premiere adds a new wave file to the bin.

If you select one of the wav files in the bin, there is a "Edit original" in the context menu for it. However, it opens the Windows Media Player.

If you delete all the wav files, the clip in the sequence tab only has the video, but not the audio i.e. the audio is deleted.

So what are the exact steps to restore the original audio for the clip?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to the bin and find the original audio.

There's no automatic way to do this.  You'll need to manually replace the clips in question.

Would make for a good feature request, though.  "Undo Replace... " I see it being very helpful for both Audition clips and Dynamically Linked AE comps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have to ask why you would want the original audio back after working so ohard in Audition to get it right?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim - Thanks for the feedback.

Steve - As the Lynda courses on Audition emphasize repeatively, audio editing is destructive (changes the original) while video editing (Premiere) never changes the original video clip. If you realize your audio edits need to be changed, you need to start with the original. This is why Audition books say never edit the original - edit a copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get that, I just can't remember ever needing to use the original again.

Although, it seems like it would be easy enough to grab it out of the original video clip and relink it. You would have to sync it - kind of a hassle I imagine.

As far as I know, when you ask to edit in Audition, it makes a copy for you. It doesn't destroy the original at all. It just doesn't leave the original on the timeline. That would be a cool option though. Make the copy, create a new track to put it on, mute the original clip, and then edit in Audition.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be easier (and more organized in the sequence) to just have some sort of Restore Original command via right click to undo both Audition edits and AE Replace commands, even after closing the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim - Before submitting this as a Feature and Bug request to

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Please let me know if the following correctly summarizes the situation.

If it does, I  hope you and others will also submit it. Thanks.

In the Premiere Pro CC v7.2.1 timeline, when you edit a clip via "Edit Clip in Adobe Audition",

Premiere never changes the original clip. It creates a separate audio WAV and PKF in the bin.

If you re-edit the clip, Audition creates a new WAV and PKF with "Audio Extracted" appended to the filename.

This leaves multiple WAV and PKF files for the same clip which is annoying.

If you later reopen the project in order to edit the original, there are issues.

In the timeline, if you select the audio part of the clip, the "Edit Original" is grey.

In the Project window, if you select one of the WAV files for the clip in the bin,

the "Edit Original" menu item for the clip does not edit the original - it opens Windows Media Player.

This Is A Bug. In the timeline, one should be able to select the audio, then select "Edit Original", and have it edit the original.

Also, it should delete all the previous multiple WAV and PKF files.

There Is Also A Major Feature Missing. One should be able to "Restore Original".

Specifically, in the timeline, one should be able to select the audio, then select "Restore Original", and have Premiere place the original audio back.

Premiere should also delete all the WAV  and PKF files for the clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit Original isn't designed to do what you're thinking.  That feature is working correctly.

The issue is that PP simply does not have the feature that you need.  So here's what I suggest submitting:

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

RESTORE ORIGINAL

I'd like to get the option to undo both the "Replace with After Effects Composition" and "Edit Clip in Adobe Audition" commands, even after the project has been closed and Undo is no longer available.  A simple right click>"Restore Original" command would return the clip to it's original state before the Replace or Edit commands were initiated.

Why is this feature important to you?

Editors make mistakes.  This gives us a simple method to undo or even redo the work without having to manually find and replace the affected clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim - Thanks for the proper wording of the feature request.

What is "Edit Original" designed to do?

Why does it bring up Windows Media Player?

Obviously, I have MP3 assigned to Windows Media Player for the browser.

But Premiere should not care about that.

It is also strange that each Audition re-edit creates a new WAV and PKF rather than modify the existing WAV PKF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit Original opens the file in the application you have set as the default program for that file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. I've done this feature request. This would be an excellent feature and make me feel much safer when sending off my clips to Audition. Hope to see this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2016 Jan 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Petrula i had the same problem and found a way to deal with this:

#Right Click on the Footage in the timeline in premiere
# make media offline
# relink the media and choose the original files (make sure automatic relinking of other offline clips is off)

mat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've found a method of sorting this out in CC, seems to have worked for me.

I am working on a project from my assistant and she lost the Audition files with a broken hard drive (she never had a clone, punishable by torture - I know...).

All the clips came from one cut up longer clip, so re-syncing them was going to be a real ball ache.

I right clicked the clip and selected "Restore Unrendered" and it gave me back the original audio, which I will need to edit in Audition again because it's so soft, but at least I didn't have to resync,

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a good feature to add, for now, I will just open the unrendered Audtion file, copy it, and paste it into the new rendered file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it didn't work, all my clips lost their audio

Because Premier won't replace clip without resetting the clip's in point, this has now added an extra day to my current editing task.

I wish Adobe would fix the simple things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can confirm that on my version of Adobe PP (2022), the feature has been implemented that allows you to "Restore Unrendered," effectively replacing the Audition clip with the original, unedited clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines