Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best Way to Learn Premiere Pro?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

Good ole' FCPX Veteran here looking to take my professional editing to Premier. Industry dictates the need.

I know I'm late to the game. Don't judge. Have come mercy those of you who have been with Premier since when Avid and FCP7 were the standards.

Can you all recommend the creme' de la creme - or whatever the saying is - top notch online learning courses?

At this stage in my career I don't have the time or money to go back to school. Many have told me not to waste my money.

But, I'd be willing to spend a little if it meant sitting down for, say, all weekends for one month, to learn everything.

Please note: I know there are TONS of free resources on Adobe, YouTube, etc. But, I'm at a point in my career where unfortunately for me, I feel like I've hit a glass ceiling regarding learning everything I can learn through self teaching. I need a course that forces me to sit down and learn good foundations from file ingestion and organization (Media Encoder/Prelude?) to editing and output so that when working with other editors such as yourself or productions, I can integrate into the workflow as anyone would expect.

Thank you for all your recommendation in advance.

Sincerely

Zach

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Hi Zach:

It's common for professional editors to take a two to five day intensive workshop from an Adobe authorized training center:

Adobe Partner Finder | Adobe Training & Certification

Of course, those are not self-paced, online courses.

Adobe provides some tutorials here:

Premiere Pro tutorials | Learn how to use Premiere Pro CC

Do you have access to Lynda.com?  In Los Angeles, the entire Lynda training library can be accessed at no cost if you have a current library card.  Something similar may

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zach:

It's common for professional editors to take a two to five day intensive workshop from an Adobe authorized training center:

Adobe Partner Finder | Adobe Training & Certification

Of course, those are not self-paced, online courses.

Adobe provides some tutorials here:

Premiere Pro tutorials | Learn how to use Premiere Pro CC

Do you have access to Lynda.com?  In Los Angeles, the entire Lynda training library can be accessed at no cost if you have a current library card.  Something similar may be available in your area.

I'm sure others will post will resources that they've liked.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, this is Awesome! Thank you Warren.

Do you know at these workshops (this would be ideal since I learn-by-doing) if they, for example, give you 50 files and say, "here's what we taught you, now go do it in the next hour" and teach you Premier from ingestion and organization, to rough cut, through output

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Those types of courses are usually called "bootcamp" and there's usually some time to work on your own with the footage, but that really varies by instructor.

Instructor feedback is definitely what you're usually missing with the Adobe Learning or Lynda.com.

The Adobe Education Exchange manages to get around lack of feedback by having both teacher assistant feedback and peer feedback integrated into most of the courses; however, that's not on-demand training, but an actual online course (and free!): Adobe Education Exchange

I'm not sure they have anything that goes into Premiere Pro as deeply as your looking for, but check that site.

Places like headTrix Training (Adobe Training & Consulting | Computer Training Classes | Los Angeles | headTrix, Inc. ) offer classes via Skype.

All of the other resources listed so far in this thread are certainly worth checking into as well.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I do not have Lynda. My plan is to take a course or two and establish a good foundation for proficiency. Then, join Lynda.com for the long-term for specific technical topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somewhat dated now, but may help with some basics

CS5-thru-CS6 PPro/Encore tutorial list http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1448923

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend the following as a first step.

1. Read the manual, in sequence, from beginning to end.

2. Try each new thing as you learn it.

3. Look up any words you don't know the meaning of.  (Or ask here, if those words are specific to PP.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zach: If you prefer using a book, I recommend the Classroom in a Book series: Adobe Premiere Pro CC Classroom in a Book (2017 release)

Btw, Jim neglected to link to the manual; as with most manuals, it's no longer provided for free with the product: https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere_pro_reference.pdf

At 530+ pages, it's not for the squeamish. It's better as a reference book after you've learned the basics or need a refresher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would forget about the pdf manual for now. Last updated june 2016.

As for books: they always fall behind.

Stick to video tutorials Adobe provides

and definitely take a Lynda subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all so far!

To answer Stefan's question: I don't prefer books. Despite me reading my car manual when i purchase a car, user manuals for cameras and gear etc... when it comes to editing, I can only read so much.

​I learn by doing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines