• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot relink MTS from 2016 project into PP2020

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please, no one lecture me on the inferiority of MTS files! But I cannot get old MTS files from a 2016 project to relink to the existing project file in Premiere Pro 2020.

The dialog box reads "The selected file cannot be linked because it's type (Video) does not match the original file's type (Audio & Video).

As you might guess, the original file does possesess audio and video. Obviously, I am running into something beyond my expertise.

I would appreciate help from anyone please!

Thank you in advance, Connie

TOPICS
Audio , Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You gave few details about the OS you are on, so for now i can only guess. But, the first thing that comes to my mind is this: Changes to Dolby Decoding and Encoding Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Averdahl!

Sorry! I am on macOS Catalina version 10.15.5. Working in Premiere pro (tried 2020 and 2019 versions) on a MacBook Pro mid 2015.

I will try what you linked.

Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. the link led to an announcement about no longer supporting Dolby but the sub link to use further for help led to a Page Not Found

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on macOS Catalina version 10.15.5. Working in Premiere pro (tried 2020 and 2019 versions)

O.k, if you are on Catalina Dolby is not the issue. 🙂

Q1:

If you create a brand new project in Premiere Pro 2020, can you import any of the AVCHD files or do you get an error this time as well? (To import, use the Media Browser in Premiere Pro since it is more convinient.)

Q2:

How are you working with your mid 2016 project in Premiere Pro 2020, iow how do you open it? Do you double click on the mid 2016 project file or are you creating a brand new project in Premiere Pro 2020 and then go to Premiere Pro > Import and then import your mid 2016 project file?

To open old projects it is always recommended to create a brand new project and the import the old project into the new project. Worth trying! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Averdahl for that suggestion!

Did just that, created new project and imported 2016 entire project - and it will work for the first one or two files (same file type - MTS) then it will stop working and give me the "The selected file cannot be linked because it's type (Video) does not match the original file's type (Audio & Video)" message again. 

Discouraged,

Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the 2016 project, did you ever use the Modify Clip dialog to change the audio of some/all clips from let´s say Stereo to Mono?

Averdahl_0-1593441699727.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great question, no. I had footage coming from differnt parts of the US. That all relinked.

Most of it however was shot with the same prosumer Canon camera. The relinking has worked and then not worked with footage from that same camera. 

Thanks, Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather than Linking your footage, you could try using Replace instead.  Might help.  Might not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I will try that as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you again for this suggestion, however that doesn't work either. Premiere pro will only import the video. Tested these clips...they do have audio ;-(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines