But when I play back video it is choppy. The videos paly fine on other software

Using Premier Pro V14.5.0

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

NLEs are not simply "players", they run A TON of their own processing load all the time. So simply comparing playback with a player and any NLE is not accurate.

What is the media, and what is your disc setup on that machine? Those are rather important here. For example, even a good machine that can play 1080p fine from say an internal spinning disk may have troubles maintaining playback with 4k clips from that disc, simply because sustained read/write will bog down after maybe 15-30 seconds.

Where are your cache/media cache database files stored ... hopefully on their own internal SSD?

Do you have a separate preferably SSD drive for media, especially if you're running 4k?

This is something I see discussions of every day on the pro colorist forums I'm also "on". People with pretty decent hardware trying to sort issues of playback, render/export and all that.

Basically with the load most NLEs put on a system, and the accompanying load that 4k and greater frame-size media applies to the system, SSD media drives or large striped RAID arrays are still often necessary.

So ... what's your media, your workflow & effects, and especially your system drive setup?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines