Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dust & Scratches insanely slow

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

first time posting to community forums, hi there.

Currently I have some footage to edit in Premiere Pro 2020, but some of the clips have small droplets of dirty water visible; I've successfuly been removing those before with Dust & Scratches effect in Premiere, just by creating couple of small masks in the tool. But this was on different hardware and it was Premiere 2019.

Now in 2020 and with my new laptop I've run into a particularly annoying problem - whenever I want to use Dust & Scratches, it completely chokes up my computer - every simple transformation of a chosen mask (like e.g changing mask size from default to smaller, or moving it couple of pixels around) requires around 45-55 seconds to complete. This is just crazy. Have anyone run into this problem? Any tips? Sharing my specs below (I suppose these should handle such operations just fine...):

notebook: Dell G5 5500
Windows 10
i7-10750H
32GB RAM
1TB SSD

RTX2060

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Szymon

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked to make sure your graphics card meets minimum specs

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/system-requirements.html

please tell us your source properties and sequence settings.    Are they same as you were using before?    Have you checked to make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are certain effects that are going to require a lot more processing power to calculate, and I believe that is one of them. A couple things you can try would be turning on the global FX mute while adjusting your mask, or even clicking off the FX of the Dust and Scratches in Effect Controls while adjusting the mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dust and Scratches is a non gpu accelerated effect: The entire effect will be processed on the cpu. If editing 4K footage best is to upgrade to 64 gig of ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever fix this? I have the same problem. My machine works perfectly for all my 4k footage. Renders super fast. The second I do dust and scratches it's unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Apologies. This effect is obsolete, however, which to me means that it is only there to restore previous projects and that one should not use it in current projects.

Why is it slow? It is not GPU accelerated. It has not been updated nor developed for several cycles. I wouldn't expect this effect to be very performant at this point, particularly 4K footage and even more so if that 4K footage is Long GOP (H.264/5). If you really need to use it, your results may vary.

My advice as a fellow user is to seek out a third party plug-in for a similar effect. You can also request that they update the effect over on User Voice.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and consider using after effects for this...  Premiere is the swiss army knife of video apps but not always the most efficient way to work....  Not sure what's available for AE, but worth a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines