Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Film Lab Conversions

Engaged ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
I am new to sending film to a lab to have them do a digital conversion. II have100 hours of super 8 audio film recorded 1972 that needs to be converted. When I find a lab to do this work should I request 480p? I have read that upscaling to 2k or 4k would be less than ideal.
I would request the film be converted to AVI format. I would then do edit work in Premiere Pro. I would use the effect tools along with Neat and Topaz Video Enchance AI to do the work.
Let me know if  the lab selected were to convert using 480p with scratch and surface damage fix along with stabilization converted to AVI would be doable.
Thanks for any advise!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upscaling to 2k or 4k after you do the transfer would be less than ideal.  but maybe a more important question is, what is your delivery format?  There are a lot of places that do conversion that are not deliverying a professional output.  Are they capturing each frame discretely or are they adding pulldown and what frame rate are they capturing to?  complicated stuff and important to have these conversations with the facility before they do any work.  avi is really a legacy format and may not be your best choice.  Ideally they would deliver an uncompressed format at the frame rate of the original material.   I don't have the energy at the moment to explain everything.  maybe someone else will step up and help, or you can post any further questions.   I'm suprevising the restoration of a 16mm documentary from the 80's now at a high end facility.  
They've been working on the project for about 3 years and I've just been brought in about a month or so ago.  Many, many mistakes have been made in the workflow and I've had to go and dig down to figure out how to fix these mistakes...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I find a lab to do this work should I request 480p?

By @Ezad

No, request the highest resoultion they can scan to. I saw an ad yesterday for a film lab here in Sweden that could deliver 720x576, 720p, 1080p  or 2K direct from their scanning machine from Super 8. All will be delivered as H.264 or ProRes 422.

As mgrenadier mentioned, avoid AVI today as it is getting more and more obeselete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines