• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU Accellaration (CUDA) not working with H264 1080P Exports

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export to H264 1080p, my GPU monitor is showing no signs of activity and it is taking approximately 10 hours for my 90 minute timeline to render through.

When I export the same timeline to H264 720P, my GPU monitor shows significant activity and my 90 minute timeline renders in less than an hour.

I have the GTX 1070 graphics card. I don't think it is the graphics card at fault because I used to get the same problem when I used to use the supported GTX 570 card.

I have tried this in Premier Pro CC (2017). I have also tried exporting through Media Encoder but I get the same performance problem.

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

The GPU isn't necessarily used much in a "straight" export, such as if that's a 1080 sequence to a 1080 export. However, the GPU is used for resizing on export. This could be the reason you're getting this behavior.

Yea, odd, but ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

note:

when I export to h264 1080P

Graphics Monitor: Little or No Activity - getting the odd fluctuation from 0 to 1%

CPU Monitor: 90-100%

Time taken to export: approx 10 hours

When I export to h264 720P

Graphics Monitor: 30-40% Activity

CPU Monitor: <80%

Time taken to export: approx 50 minutes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU isn't necessarily used much in a "straight" export, such as if that's a 1080 sequence to a 1080 export. However, the GPU is used for resizing on export. This could be the reason you're getting this behavior.

Yea, odd, but ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2017 Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a very good answer - spot on!!!

Does that mean GPU only good for resizing projects? That has to be a bug, surely(?).

I tested by changing my Sequence frame size from 1080P to 720P and then attempted to export to 1080P from the 720P sequence - now I can see plenty of GPU activity. By doing this, am I getting any real benefit in terms of the time taken to export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

note: I can get increased GPU activity by simply changing my sequence "Frames Per Second" from 25fps to 50fps and then exporting to 25fps. So, it looks like the project sequence setting has to be different to the export settings - only then you are likely to see GPU activity during export. Is this a valid assumption? Surely this has to be a bug(?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU is not used for simple re-encoding work ... that's a CPU job. Note, they don't do the same kinds of math processing. There are a list of things that are GPU-accelerated, and they do keep expanding it. Primarily, it's involved with things that either change frame-size/rate and color/tonal changes. So Warp Stabilizer, Lumetri, a number of other effects are built around a GPU if available.

But "simple" encoding isn't. And this isn't a bug ... it's the way the various processes work. They are trying to get more things ported out to use the GPU when possible as we go along.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting 600 hours to export a 2 hour 1080 video. The original file is 4k 10 bit ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enough space on the disk?

Any disk with less that 10% free space is more or less unusable and will cause issues like this.

Solved: Re: 5 Days to export a 4k 9 hour video, is this no... - Page 2 - Adobe Support Community - 1...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

GPU acceleration and GPU encoding and decoding are not the same thing. I think the GTX 1070 can use GPU encoding and decoding which can help render times for H.264. If you have a supported Intel based CPU you can comapre the GPU to the CPU for encoding and decoding. If you watch the video below I can make the GPU work hard or the CPU work hard. My renders time can very depending how I have things setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines