H264/5 export file corruption

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do exports in H.264 or H.265 I get corrupted files where there are jumps in both the video and audio such that both become quite out of sync and the exported file is several minutes shorter than it should be.

 

For example, I have a 47 minute file which is rendering out around 42 to 45 minutes (it can vary). The corruption happens seemingly in random places each time I export.  At the corruption points either the video or audio skips ahead. Most of the video looks fine but a few times there was a frame or two that looked corrupted (colorful blocks of noise).

 

I have deleted and recreated all of my media cache files. I even moved the media cache to a new drive.

 

When I export as quicktime the result is perfect. The file is giant, so I can use media encoder to convert it to H.264/5, but I consider this an unnecessary and time-wasting workaround with I presume some quality loss. 

 

The media itself is mostly static images and some video, but nothing challenging. 

 

The export settings are bone stock; I haven't changed anything. Currently, it happens every time. 

 

I have Premiere 15.1, but I also observed this under 14 before I upgraded recently

Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19042 

32GB RAM

nvidia 3090 with the latest Studio driver

TOPICS
Export

Views

119

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: This is still happening when I export as quicktime (works great, but huge) and I try and convert to H264/5 with Media Encoder.  I guess I got lucky the one time I tried it before.

 

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.  Due to size limts I can't upload the quicktime versions I need to deliver. 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Francis,

Is the video you are using from a pro camcorder, or is it from a phone, mobile cam, drone, screencapture, or the like? I think your source footage probably contains a variable frame rate. If you conformed all our source footage to a standard frame rate, you might have a more consistent output.

Thanks,
Kevin

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

 

The video is 95% still images, like jpgs, etc as the content is educational.  The remaining footage is from a Sony A7SIII shot in 29.97fps, the same as the timeline.  

 

I just turned off all hardware rendering as I was able to get a successful export from Premiere Pro, though it took far longer than the hardware acceleration version. So I'm happy that worked and I can move forward, but disappointed at the export time increase.

 

 I would like to understand what about hardware acceleration is a problem. I have the latest Nvidia Studio driver installed.  Is there something I can investigate?

 

 

 

 

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After more investigation, the problem might have been that I have some sequences which are image sequences, eg Blender renders where each individual frame is a file.  I rendered out those sequences into videos and reimported them and the problem has gone.

 

I discovered this was the issue when I used the project manager to copy all of my files and project file to a new directory just to make sure everything was clean. The sequences which were individual files were broken - the sequence was just a single still image of the first frame in the copied project.  

 

There is probably a bug here and I encourage Adobe to attempt to replicate and address any bugs.  I'm happy to assist if necessary.  

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines