• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there NO WAY to make a copy of a sequence with nests that is independent from the original?

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I have a sequence with some footage, transitions and effects in it.

I would like to duplicate that sequence and edit the duplicate WITHOUT changing anything about the original sequence, but cannot seem to figure out how to do it.

So basically my question is how to make a sequence copy independent from the original.

To be totally honest, I have found a way to accomplish this, but it is insanely tedious and there must be a better way. I managed to do it by creating a new project, putting the sequence duplicate in that project, renaming the sequence and all files that are linked to it, and importing it back into the original project.

Any help?

[title edited by mod]

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Sounds like your sequence has lots of nested sequences in it - so when you change a nest it will change in any sequence that uses that nest. Essentially what you want is a command to duplicate the sequence and also duplicate any nested sequences within it. This function does not exist as far as I can tell.

You are better off duplicating the project itself and changing the duplicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click on the sequence in the Project Panel, and from the drop down menu choose Duplicate.

Double click on the newly created duplicate to open it on the timeline.

The original sequence and the duplicate are independent of each other.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, but this method does not appear to work for me.

I duplicated the sequence, changed some text in it and the text in the original sequence was also changed.

Maybe I should be more precise, I am talking about a slideshow with multiple sequences which contain various text layers, transitions and footage.

Do I have to duplicate the entire folder which contains all sequences and all the cooresponding footage of that slideshow?

Edit: I just tried to duplicate the entire folder which contains all sequences and footage, but whenever I edit the duplicate sequence the original is changed as well. So they are definitely linked still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like your sequence has lots of nested sequences in it - so when you change a nest it will change in any sequence that uses that nest. Essentially what you want is a command to duplicate the sequence and also duplicate any nested sequences within it. This function does not exist as far as I can tell.

You are better off duplicating the project itself and changing the duplicate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, there are multiple sub-sequences or nested sequences all boxed together.

So when I duplicate a sequence which has multiple nested sequences within it, those nested sequences are not duplicated as well?

Meaning that only the top sequence is duplicated, but the nested subsequences remain the same, which is why the text is still changed in the original sequence when I edit the duplicate?

Other than manually duplicating all the sub sequences and replacing the originals in the duplicate, I really don't see a way either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several ways. One easy one ... in the Project panel, right-click a sequence "Copy".

I like to put them in a new bin ... and then rename it somehow. So make a bin or open one, right-click/paste, rename.

That's it.

Neil

[edited ... ya happy now, Kevin?]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You then "Paste" one assumes, yes? 😉

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hush ... you gotta leave a simple step out now & then ...  😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1- Save as.. or Save a copy

2- Reduce project

3- Import reduced project into the main one 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines