• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One single line of subtitles jumps up in position

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added subtitles to my project and wanted them to be in a uniform position, so I chose 'Align bottom left' in the grid as shown by the screenshots attached.
Screenshot 2020-11-06 at 14.01.53.pngScreenshot 2020-11-06 at 14.02.04.pngScreenshot 2020-11-06 at 14.02.18.png
However as you can see from screenshot 1 & 3, the y-axis value stays at a uniform 79.17. Whereas screenshot 2 (Text that reads: "Hi my name is Nicole...") the y-axis value suddenly jumps, and when I try to select it and manually input the value of 79.17, it refuses to save to that value, and instead the max it goes up to is 76.04%.

Can someone help me fix this one line of subtitles please?

TOPICS
Editing , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect that it is the "mul." under size and edge. You have selected part of the caption line(s) and applied different settings. This changes the Y values that will work.

You can also get changes in these values depending on the number of lines in your captions. So, if you add a "return" at the end of your caption line, there will be differences.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, thank for responding. I'm not sure what you mean by 'Mul', can you specify please? 

As for numbers of lines in the captions, and return after the last line. I arranged all the captions so they were two lines, no more. And there are no returns (ie: I assume you mean empty lines) below the two lines of captions. So I don't see why all the other lines of captions would be the same, and this one line  would be any different!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what it stands for, but I tried to simply select the 'mul' and change it to the same numerical values as the lines above and below it. But even with the same values, I still can't change the y-axis value to the same as the other lines. It's still unable to go higher than 68.75%, while all the other lines are 79.17%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the caption with the "mul" in the "size" and "edge" values:

Click between the In and Out times (this select the whole caption, rather than selecting part of it in the box where you edit the text. Then change the size to 60 and edge to 7 like your other captions. This caption had some kind of mixed values; that is why the x/y values were limited.

Ignore my comment about an extra return. Does not apply for your problem.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, I followed the steps exactly, but the vert value is still unable to go higher than 68.75%, as you can see from the screenshot.Screenshot 2020-11-07 at 11.25.02.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you adjusted the y value at some point, the bottom left square of the grid is no longer selected. In any event, select that and see if that does the trick. I don't see why that will not get the correct result!

Thanks for reporting back.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had spotted that the bottom left of the grid was unselected alright. I did select it again, and tried again, but still no luck with the y-axis! I tried to edit my prev comment to clarify I had done that, but there doesn't seem to be any option to edit comments here on the Adobe support furums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate what you are seeing. I adjust the y value; then go back to the block. As long as I don't change font size/edge or add a line or whatever, it jumps right back to 79.17.

I think what PR does is to calculate the bottom of the top line.

You can't put in a value that exceeds that.

I'd next create a new test caption stream, and type in 3 or 4 of the captions, including the one that is causing the problem.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've just had the same issue adding subtitles to another project. This time it was a vertical clip recorded on a phone. And all the first 4 lines aligned perfectly together. But the 5th line again jumped up higher than the prev 4, and most of the subsequent lines of subtitles. And no matter what I did to try and change the y value, it kept jumping back up higher than the rest of the lines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines