• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere loses Render Files!

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2017 Nov 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Premiere Pro CC 2017 (12.0.0) on a MacBook Pro (2015) running High Sierra 10.13.1.

I am editing a 3 minute long Show Reel with one layer of video files color corrected using Lumetri Pro, Open Captions and Premiere Pro Graphic Title Template Lower-Thirds. The footage is all HD, mostly H.264 and some Apple Pro Res, some Avid Quicktime. The sections containing the titles require rendering (they are yellow but there is no playing back the sequence without rendering, which is pretty disappointing since it's only 3 minutes long).  I'm using OpenCL since Metal makes the entire system slow to a crawl.

I do render to watch it as I edit, however, PP loses link to the render files every time it is shut down and restarted. The render files are still on disk but PP can't seem to connect back to them upon start up! How to fix this annoying bug? On a 3 minute sequence it isn't such a big deal, but on an hour long episode, it would render PP useless, pun intended.

I appreciate any feedback!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not have to render again so try and playback in real time, Get the right system and you see real time playback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mean to be dis-respectful, but that is not a helpful statement at all to the user asking the question. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the render files living on disc?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil, The render files are living in an external scratch disk along with all other project media files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrPro doesn't work well with external locations for render files. Move those back to an internal disc, you should be good to go.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually changed the render folder to "same as project," deleted all previous render files and re-rendered the sequence. I closed the project and reopened. It appeared to have lost preview files because the render bar on te sequence was full of yellow and red lines above the titles. But it played back smoothly. So, could it be just a render bar bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly, although the render bar color is more of a warning than a certainty. Much of the time, mine will be yellow with sections of red, but plays back smooth as silk.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My entire project is on an external 2.5 in USB 3.0 hard drive.

This is a workflow choice and due to the fact that my internal HD does not have lots of free space to house ongoing video project files.

Also, in the past, when I'm collaborating on video editing, keeping any files on an internal hard drive causes problems when we switch off the external hard drive with the project. This seems like the whole point of having an encapsulated project folder inside which one keeps their whole project.

Why would this cause PP to lose track of a render file preview and moreover, why is there no option to relink the "missing" render files? I spent over 12 hours creating those render files and I don't want to have to recreate them if we don't know what the problem is for sure.

More recently I'm having total fails when attempting to RENDER and REPLACE. Transcode failure.

Any ideas?

I'm editing 2k quicktime video clips that are supposedly uncompressed. They are transfers from old Super 8mm films.

2012 Macbook Pro i7

OS 10.11.16

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB

16gb RAM

Adobe PR CC (updated and current)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys!

Absolutely randomly I have just found a strange solution or something like that!

At least it worked for me!

Just disable (or RE-ENABLE) checkbox "Scale to frame size" from the "problematic clips" that lost their preview files. This checkbox magically returns these preview files...

Its not the best solution and I do not understand how it works but you may try to experiment with this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2024 Jan 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Replying five years later to confirm that this worked for me. Wild that this is still a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other possible Solution is to render effects in to out first and only after that make render in to out

I have just tried with two  massive projects and it worked perfect - maybe it will help to somebody

And if you see some red bars after restart program just try to enable and re-enable problem clips  - they should be reconnected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn, it really works! Tried almost 5 projects

Hint - instead of making all clips enable and re-enable separately you may make all media offline in your project and relink them immediately

It works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dropped an adjustment layer where the timeline was red.

Instant turned to green..........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This ... is weird. Huh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines