Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Remove White Background Without Spilling Over the Edges

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

So I'm trying trying to ultra key a white background out of a complicated cartoony image of a face. The face is mostly white with a completely white background. I'm wandering if there is a way to ultra key out just the background and have it stop at the black outline of the face so that the face retains its white colour, sort of like a bucket paint tool. Otherwise I would just have to mask the ultrakey to the face but it's a complicated image and it moves through its duration, so it would be a huge hassle.

Thanks for any and all help 🙂

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Roto Brush 2 in the latest versions of After Effects is the tool you need.

You may need to follow a few tutorials to get the hang of it but it absolutely will do what you want. Trust me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think masking is the way to go, unfortunately. You might consider taking it into After Effects where you'll have more tools at your disposal for that kind of work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks for the help 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I didn't have an easier way. Maybe someone else has something I haven't thought of yet. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the black line is always around the cartoon face in every frame, then I think I would try using Auto-trace (found in Layer/Auto-trace on the top menu) in After Effects.

It will trace every detail the code can detect, you would have to manually delete or turn off the masks that you do not require.

i.e. the detail Auto-trace will pull from the facial features also in the frame.

Auto-trace is an older technology built into After Effects that takes an image and creates AE masks around pixels of differing values, based on Alpha/Red/Green/Blue or Luma. Sounds to me like it would suit your problem if you tried Luma. Set the work area around the length of the media you would like AE to trace. You can preview the masked areas by turning on the Preview switch and finetune the other settings like tolerance and minimum area to guide the trace to your media and hit the OK button to set the trace going.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Roto Brush 2 in the latest versions of After Effects is the tool you need.

You may need to follow a few tutorials to get the hang of it but it absolutely will do what you want. Trust me 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines