• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Subtitle issue: imported srt captions out of sync (1000 frames per second!)

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to import SRT caption files into Premiere Pro CC 2017 and it seemed to be okay at first - I dragged the .SRT subtitle file into the project window, all fine so far. Then I dragged the caption (media) from the project window into the timeline, it seems okay... wait, why is it 10 minutes shorter than it should be? And why is the text so tiny? Double-checking the original file in Windows notepad, the last caption in the SRT file is at 1hr 16m 53s, but when imported into the sequence, it has been squished to 1hr 7min - so it's nearly 10 mins out of sync by the end of the sequence.

I checked the project window and noticed the frame rate is set at 1000 fps! and the video resolution is 720x480.

Any knowledge how to adjust the default import settings for captions? Any other ideas to solve this issue?

My setup:

Asus laptop, windows 10

Intel i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz

8GB RAM

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M

Thank you,

Charlie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone else had this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the same issues and it's the end of 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cklewis, what version of PR are you using?

I think this was resolved. If not, there is now an Import Settings button in the Caption Panel that allows you to specify the settings.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly where in the import settings in the Caption Panel can you set the frame rate?  I'm having the same issue with PP 2021.   Previous version was fine.   When I lay the caption file on the timeline, it plays back perfectly.  But once it's rendered, the timecodes are all substantially shortened.  As if the caption timeline is sped up.   Now I have to go back to previous version of PP to render out the MXF file.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By rendered, do you mean exported? Or just rendered in the sequence?

What type of caption stream? Subtitles (the old Open Captions)? or what?

What is the framerate of the sequence?

What framerate does it show in the Project Panel?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, thanks for the quick reply!

I mis-typed.   Yes, I meant EXPORT.   The timeline is 29.97 DF.   The Captions are produced by 3rd party at 29.97 DF  .scc file.   Have had no problems for several years working in PP 2019.   Always exporting as .MXF OP1 files with embedded CC.    Now doing exactly what I've been doing, but in PP 2021.  And that's where the issue surfaced.

The original sequence is 29.97 DF  1920x1080.   We export for broadcaster at 59.94 DF at 720p as an .mxf.   Had no issues until new update.

When I bring the exported .mxf back into the project panel, it says 59.94.  I create a new sequence, pull the .mxf file into the sequence, and let Premiere set the sequence settings to match the file.   And it comes up at 59.94 DF....just like the .mxf

So everything appears to be correctly done it that regard.  Except the captions have been altered during the export process from the original 29.97 sequence to the .mxf file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't know.

Are you on Mac? If so, see this thread; it may or may not be relevant:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/warning-if-you-rely-on-exporting-captions-for-broadcast/...

PR could be messing up the import of the exported file? Do you have any evidence that the exported file is wrong other than the problem with reimport? Not doubting your belief, just wondering.

This may get lost in this old thread. I suggest filing a bug report:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Stan.  Working in Windows.   Yep, something's fishy.  What's interesting is the CC file is perfect when i bring it in to the original sequence.  Everything lines up, and plays fine.   It's just when I export to .mxf that the problem occurs.  I have not tried exporting a burned-in-video version or a sidecar file, because those don't apply in this particular situation, but I'll give that a shot just to see if the problem remains in those instances...for troubleshooting purposes.   I'll file a bug report.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might not fully solve the problem but you have to sync the first caption. I can see from your video that your first Subtitle starts at 00:05:07,xxx. So when you drop the caption into the timeline you have to start it at that time code not at 00:00:00

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines