• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text background not centered on text box

Participant ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often add text over images to my videos and usually will add a translucent background to the text with a padding of maybe 15 or 20. I've been doing this for 2-3 years without any issues.

I'm using the text creation tool. (Not the captioning tool.)

Today, when I added my background and padding I noticed that there was more padding on the right side of the text than there was on the left side of the text. If I turn the padding to 0 (zero) there is still padding on the right side, even though the text on the left is directly against the edge. 

When the text box is selected it's clear that the padding is not properly centered.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 2.51.51 PM.png

Is this a known issue? Is this a new issue?

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select text and shape and use the align tool to centre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate? I'm creating the text background using the text tool's Appearance settings. I wasn't aware Premiere had alignment tools. How do I select the background and the source text? They seem to be the same object.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 5.46.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mrbobdobolina @Ann Bens 

I see that the question was well clarified, but not solution was offered.  I'm having the same issue, with the background feature under the "Appearance" menu of Essential Graphics title menu offering no separate control for background alignment relative to text alignment.  

I'll also file this as a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks fine to me.

AnnBens_0-1643926997792.png

Align is for text and separate background. (missed that in the original question).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Yours looks fine to me as well.  And replicated perfectly on my end.

When I use a different font (Adobe btw!), I still get the off-center problem.  I'm guessing this background tool doesn't play with all fonts, but it's a bit ironic that it doesn't work with Adobe Caslon Pro ( regardless of alignment: left, right, justified...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's Adobe Caslon Pro on my rig ...

Neil

RNeilHaugen_0-1643931441935.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found this is only an issue with multi-line text and I recently discovered a work around. If a line ends with a space, the background is incorrectly centered. If you delete the space, the background looks correct.

(For many of my edits I'm copying and pasting a passage of text into a text box, so if it looks off, I just have to remember to go through each line and delete any trailing spaces that may be left after an automatic line break.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome discovery, thanks for posting!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a few years now and the issue persists... any chance of this ever being fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mrbobdobolina,

I thought I understood how this was a problem. And you were correct to point out the practical relevance of the problem being multiline and related to a space occurring at the end of a line.

But as I experimented, I now think the problem is just that a "space" character is included in the "text" to have background. This is important for spaces that are not at the end of a line.

This is easiest to see if you turn on "Per Line" in the Background Styles -> Fill Mode. (EGP, Appearance section, Wrench icon).

Whether point text or paragraph text, if there is a space at the end, the background box is extended. It is not "off-center" if you consider the space. Many users (and most viewers) would not notice the differences as long as there is some degree of padding. But it does appear "off."

In any event, I think it would fit into the category of an "Idea/feature request" rather than a bug. Was a bug report ever filed? We have now migrated from UserVoice, but you should file a bug report  or feature request if that never happened.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To be clear, this was a change in behavior a few versions ago. I often have quotes that I copy and paste into my videos and from 2017-2021 the text background color did not extend to include a space at the end of a line. 

Thank you for the information about reporting bugs. I'll report this now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines