• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

VERY High CPU Usage on Premiere Startup

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just purchased a new computer with an i9 processor, 64 GB RAM and a Geforce RTX 2060 Super card.  And after installing the latest version of Premiere and adding about 70 videos (each about 500MB in size), I've noticed that the CPU usage spikes to 99% for about 2 minutes after starting up.  After startup, it goes back down to about 6% and everything is fine.  On my last computer (i7 4-core with 16GB RAM), it didn't do this. It only took about 30 seconds to get going, and I had at least twice as many videos on it.  I was also running the Premiere PRO 2017 version at the time.

So, is this something with my GPU?  Or is it something new with the way Premiere processes media? 

I've also noticed that upon importing videos, it doesn't conform them into .cfa files, whereas on my other system it always did.  Out of about 70 videos, maybe only 5 have been conformed into .cfa files.  It does generate .peak files for every video though.

Anyone have any suggestions or experiences with this?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro can spike the CPU when redrawing thumbnails. Does your computer perform like the one in the video below?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's similar to that.  It's pretty much unresponsive for the first couple minutes.  It loads up at 99% CPU even without a sequence loaded like in the video though.

I actually just closed all windows with thumbnails, restarted, and it still went at 99% for about 2 minutes.  Although in fairness, it probably only lasted about 90 seconds this time.  

I could understand if it's loading every video at startup, but I can't understand why it didn't act like this in the 2017 Premiere version, on an inferior computer, with many more videos loaded.  I assumed when I upgraded that it would actually be faster and more efficient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even launching Firefox can make my CPU spike. Premiere Pro is going to have much big files assoicated with it. I have also noticed my i9 system seems to take as long if not longer than my i7 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines