• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discussion / Comment View Styles

Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2013 Mar 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is the correct place for this question - please feel free to redirect if needed...

When I go to Your Stuff > Preferences > General Preferences, there is an option under General Settings for Discussion View Style and Comment View Style.

It has a dropdown to let me choose whether I want Flat, or... well, Flat. There is only one choice.

Why is there no "Hierarchical"?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is there no "Hierarchical"?

Because Adobe wants you to have flat style on their forums.  There is no hierarchical view on my profile either.

good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Adobe wants you to have flat style on their forums.

Adobe sounds like Henry Ford: "You can have your Model T in any color you like as long as it's black".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed.Macke wrote:

Adobe sounds like Henry Ford: "You can have your Model T in any color you like as long as it's black".

Precisely. 

the Irony is everybody blames Jive but the responsibility lies with Adobe.  Jive is just a contractor doing what it is supposed to do as required by Adobe.  Adobe should take the responsibilities if anything goes wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2013 Mar 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive is the company who write and manage the forums software and the hosted platform it runs on. They are not a contractor.

There are only two view modes in Jive SBS - flat and threaded. The latter doesn't fit in the fixed-column page layout used on this site, so it's disabled.

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Jive is just a contractor doing what it is supposed to do as required by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...flat and threaded. The latter doesn't fit in the fixed-column page layout used on this site...

Unfortunately, the former doesn't fit with my brain's layout when trying to follow a thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed,

I totally agree with you, and before Threaded was disabled, would switch back and forth. I also filed requests to allow the view to be easily toggled, rather than a global setting in Preferences - a "big-button" switch, if you will.

I spend time on several other forums, and most offer a useful version of a Threaded view. I would love to see Jive go to something similar.

On the Adobe Forums, there are extra features, available with Flattened View, like Reply #'s, which are very important when pointing a poster to the exact Reply, that addressed their question. In the old Threaded View, there were no Reply #'s, but at least one could easily see to whom the Reply was being made - though one CAN look at the header of a Reply to find out that info. Unfortunately, one often has to do some major scrolling, to see which of that person's Replies was being Replied to.

I have come to accept the Flattened only View, and just scroll about, to find the real context. A single toggle button would be better (or a really good Threaded View to begin with), but that seems to be out of the question now.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I *thought* there used to be a threaded view here. I couldn't figure out if they removed it, or if it was still there but unavailable to me for some reason, or if I was misremembering.

Good to know I'm not losing my mind... and that others liked the threaded / hierarchical view, too.

Maybe it will mysteriously return one day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. At some point in the past, there WERE two views: Flattened and Threaded. Not sure when Threaded went away, but it was possibly with one of the big Jive updates, over the last several months.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it seems that we are getting all the time more and more "features" that are not what we -or Adobe, possibly- want, but what the Jive software can and cannot do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2013 Mar 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

As you have observed, some things do get changed, and it seems at a pretty high levle in the chain.

Not sure if some of those are because something could not be done in Jive, or because Jive just did not want to do it? We, mere users, will likely never know.

The Adobe Forum Team (there are actually a couple, with one working on implementation, and another on the physical design), is trying to enhance the user expereince (both for "regulars" and for "newbies"), and are having to work within some constraints, both from the pure design, and then with Jive. Still, they are "working on it."

I wish them luck, as that will translate down to the user - whether new, or "regulars."

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, my comment was due to the fact that the answers I have received to several suggestions I have made in this forum are on the lines of sorry, but that's the way the Jive software works/sorry, the Jive software cannot do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Claudio,

I have also received some of those, depending on what my suggestion was.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive is the company who write and manage the forums software and the hosted platform it runs on. They are not a contractor.

This is just another lame excuse given on these forums.  Jive are being paid to do what Adobe asks them to do.  They take instructions from Adobe and it these instructions are not adhered to then they should be fired.  Period.

Jive don't run Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines