Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what's going on now?!!

Feb 13, 2009 Feb 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

id & password issue. just had to do a link with the store & coldfusion id, and now i'm not sure what's going on. but i just got in here... AHH!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 155 Replies 155
Advocate ,
Feb 21, 2009 Feb 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Oz, sorry but I don't agree. It isn't at all clear that the format has anything to do with any declining use - is there any evidence that this is so? It seems to me to be be folly to try and fix a problem by twiddling with something that may or not be the cause.

If you have a problem, it's not sensible to take a wild stab at the possible cause and roll your sleeves up to change something that may have no bearing at all on the problem.

I do understand that this format/system can't cope with absorbing all the forums for newly-Adobe applications and may need to change. But what do you do if you change the appearance and functionality - and forum use goes on declining? Try something else?

I'd be interested in a digest of replies to the survey, which I vaguely remember filling in. I don't even remember if I thought the most important questions were being asked, it's a while back ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, a large number of users of the ex-MM forums seem to prefer to use a newsreader. Has anyone considered why that might be so, before adopting some of the features we see 'over there' ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with all the fears and concerns stated here.

I am still hoping for a few comforting answers in the other thread: Jacob Bugge, "Just one question about basic performance" #77, 18 Feb 2009 12:58 am

By the way: since this forum design has always been so different from everything else, thanks to John, it should appear as a brand new far out future grown up hardcore clean no nonsense look to newcomers; as it still does to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> It isn't at all clear that the format has anything to do with any declining use - is there any evidence that this is so?

Well, there was the whole business of the Syntrillium forums being amalgamated with these - I think their howls of protest about being forcibly dragged away from a modern-looking forum (as was 5 years back) to this format may still be online somewhere, and I'll have a look tomorrow. Many didn't make the transition and they set up their own modern-style forum which still functions.

I've read through some posts in forums which have moved from other software to Clearspace and generally the issues discussed have related to function rather than form (eg lack of good method of viewing new posts).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the plain look of these forums puts off the lovers of pretty and colourful interfaces and they never stay to appreciate and enjoy the advantages in speed and versatility that the WebX forums have beneath this utilitarian surface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody should assume they know why forum usage is declining, is all I'm saying. This looks like the worst kind of problem-solving method (guesswork).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK wrote:
> ...Let's all help to get it up and running... and save the griping and additional tweaking for after we have it humming along decently.

I must disagree with that statement. Once things get moving there will be increasing inertia which impedes any changes.

I repeat: The (partial) screen shot shown by John Cornicello shows a UI which is a gross waste of space due to all the eye candy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In #95 I simply tried to summarize the basic points that have been the center of our debates. The screen shot John posted provided a good view that many have said we do not want. I would guess that many of those that want to keep the current look are the long time users that find it efficient for scanning and helping others. Those that seem to want a new form I might guess are not as regular. I would agree that the current format is probably not the reason for decline, but the aspect of need for information and such. It might even be that the Adobe link is not as obvious to new users as it used to be.

Waiting for it to get up and running is saying we should wait until the the posting just like the last fiasco. If we have major concerns, they should be fed into the system now (my opinion). If the new look becomes the norm, I will likely reduce my checking substantially. I look for efficiency, particularly since I primarily spend my time trying to help others. I do find useful info from others, but not to the extent that I try to help. Scanning for problems I see a very inefficient in the proposed format.

If it is at all possible, I recommend the format be a preference option. I like the current look and would use it immediately. Others have the other issues that I listed in #95. If we had some preference options, then the arguments about the proper format would go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorothy...

Email sent (check your spam catcher, maybe?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>his looks like the worst kind of problem-solving method

no the worst kind is guesswork based on spreadsheets. i'm sure there were plenty of spreadsheets involved too. ;)

look as long as the speed and usability and a decent amount of user customization-ability is in place, you'll get used to it. or not.

but as others have mentioned, the key will be speed. especially if we're going to have to be clicking more to get through lists of topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, I'm not one of those demanding everything stay exactly the same. Just concerned that decisions are being based on wonky/partial/missing info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since whoever is itching to move these forums does not seem to have anything else better to do, I have an idea:

Take the Macromedia forums and experiment with them since they are already not too functional and are ugly. Test it out for about a year. When you get it all slick and happy then we can re-visit it and perhaps if WE find it is better than what we have here we can merge the whole thing at that time. Huh? Good idea?

Make it so good we want it. Until then, kind of leave this alone. Can you see the logic? Huh? Sure you can. Just suck it up and admit it. It's a good idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a brilliant idea, Cindy.

And it is the only sensible way to proceed.

So far, Adobe's proposed changes have received a 100% "Thumbs Down" from the regular Helpers in the Adobe Forums.

Last time that Adobe tried to mess with the Forums, virtually all of those people left.

Continue with your current proposals, and I am dead certain that the same thing will happen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know but I've had this theory that when adobe and MacroMedia Merged that it was Adobe that was taken over by MacroMedia. And they have been itching to have everyone conform to the Macromedia way. :-/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were not taken over by MacroMedia. But MM had some technologies that were included and they want to justify the purchase. Flash and Dreamweaver are enough but they have been trying to make Cold Fushion work...I think I have this right. I'm sure someone here could correct me on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trouble with the present debate is that it's bound to be one-sided, since people who do not use these forums because they can't stand their form and/or function are not here to contribute, by definition. And while the views of regular users here are of course vital, the views of those who are not are of equal importance - like the Church, these forums exist primarily for those who are currently not yet members - for people who are going to need them in the future and have yet to encounter them.

So I've gleaned some views from the old Syntrillium forums, back in July 2003. This was before some changes were made here to reflect some of their criticisms, admittedly (I think the message entry box was made larger, for instance). But despite the passage of time and some changes here, I think it's still worth reviewing the reactions of some people who are used to more 'standard' forums, when first looking at what we have here.

Source of these selective quotes - http://www.audiomastersforum.net/synforum/13/topic-13236.htm - where there is much more to be read.

====================================================================

"I just checked out their forums and the format makes me want to puke. There's very little customability, no avatars or signatures with images, and it just looks...weird..."bland" even. Not because it's empty, I mean the format. I can't see how you can "subscribe" to a thread, and there aren't any clear email notification options. I don't know the format of Syntrillium's, but it's light years ahead of what Adobe is pushing. "

"I will probably keep half an eye on the Adobe forum, when it really gets going, but, although I'm happy enough with a primarily text-based system I find Webcrossing almost impossible to use intuitively."

"when I went over a few days ago, after being invited by DK, I had a really bad experience. I couldn't see what anybody else was saying, and when I found the other messages, there was no telling which came first. I then tried to stick an emoticon in my message. Didn't work. Tried webcrossings version of quoting, which was functionally absurd, and ultimately didn't work. I began to wonder if maybe my screen resolution was incorrect, maybe I couldn't see the layout ? I'm usually among the first to figure out code tricks, and general procedure, but, this was physically distressing. After about 4 minutes I got an absolutely excruciating headache, broke out into a running sweat, and, even now my temples begin to faintly throb just thinking about the event. There's just nothing there to grab onto to make use of. And the BOX you're supposed to work in. No, it's just bad software. Nobody can, or will honestly say that there is anything about the interface that is appealing. It's just that simple. There are no tricks to be figured out, features to be discovered, or benefits to be considered. All the wonder and neat things about and available on, the internet have been completely and deliberately removed from the picture. At every step, you're presented with the worst case scenario."

"And the effing rules ! No editing past 30 minutes without permission from someone ? Look, I have never edited anything here, if it has been responded to. If someone has responded to it I'll make any corrections in a follow-up post. That's just common sense. And nobody had to tell me that. And I've made plenty of corrections. No, I'm a reasonable guy, and I don't mind a challenge, but the resources just aren't there to effect a reasonable, livable environment. And this cannot be disputed. Whoever does move over there, will do so knowing full well that it sucks, but doesn't mind as much that it sucks. It's just bad, poorly designed, lifeless software. And it should never have been gone with in the first place. "

"Duuuuude...you hit it right on the head. I feel twice as bad about it; it's just a terribly designed forum. "

"I don't think I'll be moving there either. Graphics aren't the only thing that matters of course. But nobody can deny that they at least contribute a bit to the 'pleasure of posting'. With that I mean that it's more fun to be posting in a forum that has some options and looks good without being too heavy on the graphical side. It are those small things that make the difference. Like the avatars which make the whole thing seem a bit 'lighter' plus that it makes it a bit easier to see who has amswered. That way you start to 'recognize' people and it's a bit more personal maybe. Just plain text is kind of heavy on the eyes (I think). Then there's also the fact that the first post has another color. And the other post are alternatively grey and white. All of this makes it easier to read. "

"I just don't understand why Adobe has such horrible forums! I mean, it kind of reminds me of a dictatorship;) No excesses allowed (avatars, signatures,...) and the editing afterwards is also very limited. I like to be able to edit whenever I want. I don't use this very often, only when I made a big spelling mistake:blush: or something like that. Then I like to be able to change my post when I discover this the next day:)"

"The avatars and smilies, in my opinion, make this forum easier to read than the Adobe one but they don't detract in any way from the content. "

"My experience of the Webcrossing software is that it isn't easy - in fact it's quite tricky in places. Even simple things, such as formatting the text you are writing, are hardly intuitive. "

"In common with many here, I find the Webcrossing software dysfunctional and that's why I won't be joining you on the Adobe site. I can't speak for anyone else, but I suspect I will not be alone in this and I also suspect that Adobe will lose some of the best and most experienced contributors to this forum. "

"A small signature image, avatar, or emoticon gives posters individuallity that is much sought after in the world of the Internet, and makes posting (and reading) all the more enjoyable. Posters and readers start associating personalities to others and they become easier to relate to, thus propagating a community."

"A few lines and alternating backgrounds do wonders to demarcate individual posts. I'd be hard-pressed to find a more archaic looking forum than Adobe's anywhere on the web. "

"It took me a very long time to find the workround on the adobe site, the search engine was of little help and I had basicly to do a lot of browsing to find an anwser. Now this may weel be down to my ineptitude but frankly I don't have time to learn the finer points of somthing I may not use that much.

I have been hanging about here for a long time even though I don't post all that much, it's familir and the adobe forums feel ... different.... "

"If you are a bunch of designers, and you've made comments to Adobe about the forums, they either haven't heard you (no corporate interference AT ALL!) or they have taken no notice (second part of your quote), or you haven't actually criticised them at all - because you don't think that there's anything wrong with them ?????

Although I'm not one, I thought that the majority of Graphic Designers did what they do because they have a sense of visual 'flair', and an innate understanding of design elegance, and user convenience, especially on the eyes - a sort of visual version of what we try to do with sound. As far as the forums are concerned, what sort of an advert are they for Adobe, taking account of my previous paragraph? "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even so Oz, that still does not mean it isn't a good idea to get the MM forums likable and functional and then move this over possibly when everything is running as it should be with the consensus of as many people who are involved as possible. It would be a perfect trial ground.

You basically changed the subject with your argument. So whatever. You might have an open mind to my suggestion in post #115.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words, IF you have confidence in your plan, be willing to try it out in a less critical arena. How hard can that be?

It might mean you backtrack a bit but it could only help to do things that way. And you might get more people involved in a real solution to this as obviously Adobe regulars have not been willing to play around with Adobeforums on that level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an interesting suggestion, Cindy, though what if the people over there iron out the wrinkles to their own satisfaction, and the people over here are then presented with a non-negotiable result? Or having worked through the issues there, and got it running smoothly, then the users there are faced with further changes requested by users here? The only way to really discover how a forum (or other software) functions is to use it for real - and how would we do that if the subject was the ex-Macromedia products? Form is only one aspect - function is another major component.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We cross posted. See #121

> Cindy, though what if the people over there iron out the wrinkles to their own satisfaction, and the people over here are then presented with a non-negotiable result?

The whole idea would be to create the forum "over there", perhaps add a Mac Photoshop (or whatever) forum leaving these intact getting more people involved. The whole idea would be not to just have the MM DW and Flash forums but add a couple in that format that could be worked on. You would soon find out if its going to fly or not.

You could do this at no loss whatsoever. If you have a good product, people will come around. If you don't have a good product it won't live.

Attract rather than push.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> 4 - The forums should look not unlike the majority of typical modern internet forums.

Oz, I am commenting on this in this thread because it fits into the present conversation.

I think you are forgetting something. The people who frequent these forums are not typical internet users. You have a very large professional community here. I can't imagine what would happen in the Apple forums for instance if you turned it into a typical forum. I don't like everything about the Apple forums I am trying to make a point. You have to consider the people who make Adobe first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The people who frequent these forums are not typical internet users. You have a very large professional community here.

Well, I'd counter that by questioning whether the format has encouraged the participation more by professionals than by other users - and if so, is the type of participant actually representative of the majority of Adobe software users? Should we have two lots of forums, one for the pro users and one for the rest (eg anything Elements would go in non-pro).

Heh, there's another way of testing - enable it for the Elements forums first. No, that's not a real suggestion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it comes down to the image you want.

This is obviously a very complex issue...or...are folks making it more complex that it needs to be.

Those comments you posted from various people criticizing the Adobe forums.. Who were they? I think that matters, don't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were users of audio software bought up by Adobe, whose forums were then amalgamated with these. They would have been a mixture of professional and non-professional users of the software, and certainly they would have been long-term users of the Syntrillium forums.

Their attitude was of course partly influenced by the circumstances, but part of the problem was a reluctance to work out how to use this type of forum for best results. People may not be prepared to invest the time. We simply have no idea how often people come, look, and walk away saying nothing. The only place I know of where one can see the reactions of a group of non-users to the look and feel of these forums is the place I extracted those quotes from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2009 Feb 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oz,

The forum you are quoting from is very much cleaner, and therefore efficient, than what we seem to have waiting for us.

No avatars, just the name, optional information about loction, nember of posts.

That relative simplicity does not even seem to be an option; at least unless it is possible to opt out of the ornamentation, which I have asked about more than once, and hopefully get a comforting answer to.

There is suffering and suffering.

By the way, my guess is that the number of posts reflect the whole set of forums, not the number in the particular forum in question. The latter would reflect the actual relevant activity there, as does the present number of posts shown when you seacrh the name. The former rather shows how much time you spend in all forums, and the lounge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines