Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

what's going on now?!!

Feb 13, 2009 Feb 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

id & password issue. just had to do a link with the store & coldfusion id, and now i'm not sure what's going on. but i just got in here... AHH!!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 155 Replies 155
Enthusiast ,
Feb 24, 2009 Feb 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are user-to-user help forums, the point of which is to get help as quickly as possible in as efficient a manner as possible. When someone is having a problem getting an image placed properly in their design, they don't give a shit at how pretty (or indeed how childish) a forum looks. I'd rather have it with as minimal amount of visual distraction as possible, just give me my answer, let me read all the replies I possibly can on one page without having to scroll endlessly or click "next page" too often, etc. Basically, from a design standpoint, keep it as efficient as the good ol' adobe forums. The content and its efficiency in delivering it is THE MOST important thing to someone who is desperately trying to get an answer to their problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Basically, from a design standpoint, keep it as efficient as the good ol' adobe forums

EXACTLY!!

Why mess with PERFECTION?

JC created the perfect format for the Adobe Forums: why are these obviously tasteless, untalented and immature yobs being allowed anywhere near it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

because the current software apparently can't handle the load ann. that's the line and they're sticking to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since when has software dictated Page Design?

What they are proposing is using a lousy interface because they are too idle to adapt their canned software to suit their clients' requirements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, John has said he doesn't want to get locked into overly customized software like this has turned out to be, so that he doesn't have the same problem with not being able to have it updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not asking for an "overly customized" interface just a plain unadorned, efficient, layout like we have now with no frilly space-wasting rubbish like: Avatars, self-serving "Community Expert" or Member's Status Labels, and Member's Profiles on the main page

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plain "unadorned" is heavily customized.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Plain "unadorned" is heavily customized.>

If that is "Heavily Customized" just keep on doing it!

No slacking will be tolerated!

:)

That is the problem with setting an Industry Standard for excellence now we will accept nothing less from you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The uncustomized would look more like http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f12feb9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is like having to ask for a no coffee, no tea, no chocolate, no alcohol, no sugar, no protein, no colour, no smell, and no fizz, drink in order to to get plain water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That uncustomized look is more efficient than the versions we have seen with avatars and all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure it's the same version of the software that's being considered - it may be a discontinued version - DK, any detail on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But we tried to stay with this software, customized or not... and it bombed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Edmund's you mean, Oz? I really don't know the answer to that. It is a Web Crossing forum tho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I thought you meant it was a Jive forum.

I'm easily confused. Very, very, easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorothy:

I simply cannot believe that your senses and intelligence are not seriously offended by the ugliness and unsuitability of the designs of both the Uncustomised and the pathetic attempts of Customization that this incompetent Vendor appears able to provide?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, you should go into the business of writing forum software. Let us know when it's ready to preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the underpinnings of the software so much as the terrible interface that you are plastering over its face.

Surely you have sufficient taste and education to appreciate what I am saying?

You are defending the indefensible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anything is being defended it's what is. If software doesn't exists that does what you want it to do, what do you suggest we do about it? John and his team have chosen what appears to be the best solution to meet the need. The rest of us need to live with it. Bitching and moaning ain't gonna change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've kept low on this, but seriously -

>If software doesn't exists that does what you want it to do, what do you suggest we do about it?

Referring to Adobe????
Writers of the benchmark complex image manipulation software called "Photoshop"?
And Illustrator? And InDesign? And all the rest of the company's collection of some of the world's most complex software?

Forum software is beyond its capabilities?

You're joking, surely!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've pondered that Adobe should just create their own forum software, and add it to their stable of killer apps.

Or maybe it'd be better left to a more collaborative company like Mozilla.org?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fred, how good were any of those programs in version one - which would be what any Adobe forum software would be? How famous is Adobe for rapid development in areas in which it doesn't have prior expertise? It's a nice thought that DIY would/should be possible, but it's not about to happen, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I've pondered that Adobe should just create their own forum software, and add it to their stable of killer apps.

so including the cool OS, that'd be what, two, right? :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>If software doesn't exists that does what you want it to do, what do you suggest we do about it?

Design a page layout to overlay their system or demand and insist that the Vendor does this if they wish to have Adobe's business. If it takes them six months to do what is necessary, just wait until they have completed the task AND you have fully tested it before moving the Forums to the new software.

Meanwhile the current system is working perfectly well enough so for the Adobe Forums so I see no reason to be in a hurry to make the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2009 Feb 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought Frontpage was the web software saying: We know what you want; just go along with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines