• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Who is Bob Dix?

Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All over the forums I can postings of Bob Dix.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2012 Oct 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After eliminating cookies, I am still seeing this in Ben Hutchinson's profile:

Ben.JPG

And this message does not appear in Kurt Gold's profile. So my questrion is: does Ben Hutchinson exist? Regardless, how come that a message posted by Kurt Gold appeares in his profile and not in Kurt's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2012 Oct 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard some day Adobe or one of its partners is going to provide software that will organise the air traffic safety in South America.

Hopefully it's just an unfounded rumour.

Ben Hutchinson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kurt Gold wrote:

I've heard some day Adobe or one of its partners is going to provide software that will organise the air traffic safety in South America.

Hopefully it's just an unfounded rumour.

Ben Hutchinson

Let's hope so. Our largest airline, Lan, has just merged with the largest Brazilian one, Tam; and both are among the best ranked in the world as regards to safety. They certainly don't need a lead life jacket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is for discussion about the current problems with the Jive forum software, NOT for entirely unrelated criticisms of Adobe. As I've said the forum problems are not caused by Adobe software. Please keep on topic or I'll lock this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

This thread is for discussion about the current problems with the Jive forum software, NOT for entirely unrelated criticisms of Adobe. As I've said the forum problems are not caused by Adobe software. Please keep on topic or I'll lock this thread.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just delete the offending messages? I don't see all that many...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave it is somewhat Adobe's Fault in that they settled for this Company that doesn't know how to do things right. and when they accidentally get it right can't resist the temptation mess with it. and when thing go wrong they don't have any contingencies  for when things go boom.

As my tag line goes in my regular emails goes: "if it ain't broke! Don't Fix it!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As my tag line goes in my regular emails goes: "if it ain't broke! Don't Fix it!"

I always thought that it went like this:

if it ain't broke! break it!"

How else do you create employment for the unemployables and also have fun from the fiasco ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, as I see things, there were just two (one of them mine). I wouldn't blame you if you now think that there are three. And I still think it would be wiser to eliminate them than to close the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, as you should also delete answers to off-topic/offensive posts, you'd better start soon. The number is increasing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also received, I don't know why, an email message from cs-auto@adobe.com saying I created a new account,

My account is many years old, same email. Maybe it came after clearing the cookies and re-login, not sure.

I'm not sure if it is also related to this forum's weirdness as well.

strangemail.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The plot thickens. Look ar this:

Rick.JPG

It is completely unacceptable not to receive any answer saying at least that the matter is being investigated. I had never seen something lik this in all my years of participating in the forums. Pathetic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm replying in lieu of an official response from the Forums Team, as I agree people are in need of an explanation before Monday. However there's a limited amount I can disclose, so bear with me. Yes of course this is being investigated.

These forums run on a software platform called Jive SBS. Adobe administer the forum content but the software itself is hosted and maintained by Jive Software, on a content delivery network (CDN). This weekend, Jive have been making changes to the CDN and the issues with misplaced user account information are connected to this. AFAIK no advance warning was given, and there's no indication of any hacking, either of the site or of individual user accounts. The posts you are seeing with the wrong username are real posts by other users, there's no spam involved.

It seems that all posts made in the last 48 hours are indeed correctly-tagged with the true poster's identity, it's only the Web pages and email feeds which are getting the information wrong. This is reinforced by the fact that different users (who connect to different nodes within Jive's CDN) are seeing different things - some have no errors, those that do are seeing different false names for particular posts. Logging in and out, which can change your node, also alters what people are seeing. Because some people are seeing all the right names they must be correctly-stored in the database, so when this is resolved you should all retain your correct post histories.

Yes, Adobe could have turned the site off when the first reports of issues came in; but doing that would remove access to millions of users who need to search the forums for help. I don't know how quickly this will take to resolve (it may already be fixed as I'm typing this) so please be patient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation, Dave.

I seem to be with one of the good strong error free nodes. On earlier occassions too, including the merge attempts in mid 2006 (when my member since date was reset) and in late 2007 (when I was 2A0B5AE641B1B6DA992016B7), I have always been one of the sometimes quite few natives with faultless access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I have not seen the massive name changes that were reported here. However, if I follow the link in Kurt's message #16 above, I see his message #2 as posted by Ben Hutchinson. What do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I see what you see, now, but that must have changed quite recently. Earlier, as when I wrote post #11, Kurt was Kurt all along.

That may point to a certain amount of residual mess when things are otherwise cleared up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, if i pass my cursor over RickRicardo's avatar (no number of posts or registration date), I read this in his pop up profile:

Total Posts: 12

As, as far as I know, members have no control over their registration date, this looks like damage to the actual database to this very ignorant person.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for your effort, Dave. Let's hope we have an official statement early on Monday.

My computers were off all night, but the link in message #1 is still taking me to Bill Hutchinson's profile, and Kurt's message is still in his list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave Merchant wrote:

I'm replying in lieu of an official response from the Forums Team, as I agree people are in need of an explanation before Monday. However there's a limited amount I can disclose, so bear with me. Yes of course this is being investigated.

These forums run on a software platform called Jive SBS. Adobe administer the forum content but the software itself is hosted and maintained by Jive Software, on a content delivery network (CDN). This weekend, Jive have been making changes to the CDN and the issues with misplaced user account information are connected to this. AFAIK no advance warning was given, and there's no indication of any hacking, either of the site or of individual user accounts. The posts you are seeing with the wrong username are real posts by other users, there's no spam involved.

It seems that all posts made in the last 48 hours are indeed correctly-tagged with the true poster's identity, it's only the Web pages and email feeds which are getting the information wrong. This is reinforced by the fact that different users (who connect to different nodes within Jive's CDN) are seeing different things - some have no errors, those that do are seeing different false names for particular posts. Logging in and out, which can change your node, also alters what people are seeing. Because some people are seeing all the right names they must be correctly-stored in the database, so when this is resolved you should all retain your correct post histories.

Yes, Adobe could have turned the site off when the first reports of issues came in; but doing that would remove access to millions of users who need to search the forums for help. I don't know how quickly this will take to resolve (it may already be fixed as I'm typing this) so please be patient.

At least the truth (some of ) has come out. It was poor form on Jive's part to do this without a heads up to at least John. He the forum administrator and he should have had advanced warning so he could have fielded questions. But he said he was unaware of an updates. Be it to the actual software running the Forums or to the machines running the software.  By not knowing he was made to at least "Look"like a Dunce by Jive and Adobe.

I know better. He is not. He is a Straight up guy. That will honestly answer anything he is aware of, except anything covered by a Non-disclosure contract.

We've come up with this problem.

and for two days I had to sign in for every message. (I use SeaMonkey and use the e-mail notifications). Yesterday it returned to normal yesterday. 

This was directly caused by this monkeying with the system at Jive. They should have known about this and had alternat plans in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is of any help, I saw a different name this morning: Nando Vieira…
Firefox on my Mac was affected, Safari was not. After a few hours all went right again.

See screengrab here:

Bildschirmfoto 2012-10-21 um 08.32.21.png

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, are you saying that you saw  today what your screengrab shows? I ask because I thought that persons affected by this effect had seen it corrected yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Nando Vieira does have a profile:

http://forums.adobe.com/people/simplesideias

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Claudio – you heard me right: this morning I made that screengrab. With Firefox as my browser. Just 8 hours ago (at 08:32 local time here in Germany).

I also could not log in with Firefox. Firefox tried to redirect and found no end. With Safari on my Mac OSX 10.6.8 no problem at all…

After a few hours, around 11:00, the problem was gone. Though I could not pinpoint that to the minute…

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another strange thing was happening right now:
In my E-Mail notification you, Claudio González (I assume it is you), are showing up as a "Warren Hart". See the following screengrab made a minute ago:Bildschirmfoto 2012-10-21 um 18.17.03.png

What's going on here?

In case you are *not* Claudio González, here a screengrab of the browser showing this message in the forum:

Bildschirmfoto 2012-10-21 um 18.20.49.png

*That* is weird…

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now the sign in problem is back.

Would some one find the lumex at Jive responsible for this mess and hit him over the head with a two by four.

Fix this mess! Don't make excuses. Fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uwe, it was me who posted messages #35 & 36. And at least both messages appear in my profile:

bob dix.JPG

Which doesn't mean in the least that the problem has been solved. Let's hope that, once the weekend is over, we see more action and more explanations about this. Lucky that Adobe/Jive are not in charge of an hospital, for people would simply die at weekends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines