• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What Happened to "History" in File Open in Acrobat 10?

New Here ,
Dec 18, 2010 Dec 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Purchased Acrobat 10.  In Adobe 9, I ejoyed the "History" function in the File/Open area.  I would not recall the name of the file, but, e.g., knew I had opened it within the last 7 days, or last day, or last month.  So, allowing someone to see the "history" or the documents opened within  particular past history period was quite helpful.  Did not see it in Acrobat 10.  i am having a problem that had me at Tech Level 2 and they are now upgrading it to enior Technican.  But, I asked the gentleman to check to see "what happened" to "history".  When he called back as scheduled within one week (very pleasant to work with), he told me that Adobe had simply REMOVED the history capbility in the "open files" part of the program.  I assume what he told me is true.  But, if anyone knows to the contrary, I would appreciate the knowledge of how to find and use "history" in the manner described.  And, why in the world woould they remove such a helpful tool?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 20, 2010 Dec 20, 2010

Usage data indicted that _very_ few people used the Organizer feature, and the amount of work required to ensure it functioned robustly in modern operating environments with distributed storage, SAAS, etc, was not considered practicable - even in Acrobat 9 it was easy to break. If you want more detail on the decisions behind version changes you'll have to ask the product team themselves.

File>History was generated by the Organizer plugin, so this was removed as a consequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was just me overlooking it or Adobe came up with a new name for the organizer. GONE!?!? This is a major punch in the gut. I relied on it. You just added on about 1/2 hour to my work day to look for old PDFs . . . thanks a lot. The Organizer was a major help for ppl who delt with PDFs daily. You may say that it was not popular or whatever, but the people who used it NEEDED that function!  

As Dave M. said,"As we have confirmed several times on these forums, Organizer has been removed ....". If you had to re-iterate it several times doesn't that tell you that many people used it?

BRING IT BACK!!!

Looks like I'll just work off 9 again...it meant that much.

Have A Nice Day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Offhand I think we've had about 30 people asking about it. Tens of millions of people use the Acrobat X Family.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am somewhat disappointed myself because the browser also kept a record of online PDFs that I accessed. I would welcome a function like this to where I can also remove pdfs from the list that I no longer need.

But I do have somewhat of a handy tip for Windows 7 users. It is the "Jump List."  Simply place the Acrobat X icon into the Windows taskbar. By right-clicking on the Acrobat icon,you will see the 10 most recent documents you have opened.  Not enough?

Right click on a blank area in the Windows taskbar. Choose Properties,and in the dialog box click on the Start Menu tab,then on the "Customize" button.

At the bottom of the "Customize Start Menu" dialog is "Number of Recent Items to display in Jump Lists"  The default is 10. You can set it up to 60.

Usually 30 works for me. All taskbar items will remember the last 30 items accessed,and you can remove or pin items to that list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gener7 - That is the single most useful computing tip I've received all year.  Thanks so much!  This looks like it may be even better than Organizer, because that took forever to load.  I signed up for an account on this forum just so I could thank you.  Huge help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2012 Sep 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting me know,Mike! I always wonder if what I typed helped someone or just went into the Cloud Bitbucket.

And oh yes,welcome to the forums. I hope there will much more good advice to come your way.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not having organizer in Acrobat XI is very disapointing.  I delayed upgrading to Acrobat X because of it, and now I subscribed to Creative Cloud, and this is disapointing to not see organizer integrated into the cloud services.  Guess I'll have to change my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2012 Oct 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Organizer won't be returning, and there was no suggestion that Acrobat XI was to have included it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2013 Sep 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't it be a good idea  when a feature, like the organizer, is terminated to put the source code to the comunity especially when it is already organized as a plugin.

This would be a good step of adobe to give the users who what to organize themself to maintain the further developement.

The organizer was a really helpful feature. To remove it only while most useres have not known about this somehow hidden feature until they have shown it by a supervisor / friend might be not the best solution.

For me it was one reason to stay at version 9 still... I miss the organizer in newer versions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really umbelievable such useful feature has been removed

A journal keeping record of the work done on the pdf documents open is a must!

Behind the "History" feature there is all the work done on reading and collecting documents which otherwise must be made manually since certainly the last open documents in Windows doesn't help restoring.

I don't think I will continue on using next versions of Acrobat, the XI, as it seams it does not have this feature either.

Can I mount on my computer also an older version of Acrobat, I have the 9th, just for reading and annotations?

Dave, at least the chance for a plugin?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's borderline bizzare. How difficult can it be? Doesn't every web browser have this feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an item I posted earlier. Pin your Acrobat icon to the task bar and use its' Jump list.

Not the same as having the Organizer but it should work.

I do have somewhat of a handy tip for Windows 7 users. It is the "Jump List."  Simply place the Acrobat X icon into the Windows taskbar. By right-clicking on the Acrobat icon,you will see the 10 most recent documents you have opened.  Not enough?

Right click on a blank area in the Windows taskbar. Choose Properties,and in the dialog box click on the Start Menu tab,then on the "Customize" button.

At the bottom of the "Customize Start Menu" dialog is "Number of Recent Items to display in Jump Lists"  The default is 10. You can set it up to 60.

Usually 30 works for me. All taskbar items will remember the last 30 items accessed,and you can remove or pin items to that list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read more carefully what the post is about you will se the question is VERY different

Here there is a debate with Adobe about a very useful feature that has been withdrawn in recent versions.

If you had been a older user of Adobe you will understand that this is very discouraging

Please don't give Adobe an alibi otherwise not requested

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not aware I was giving Adobe an alibi. If you read for understanding I was giving out a way to at least see recent files.  This is just a repeat of my earlier post in this thread that has helped others. Don't like it, don't use it.

My first purchase was Acrobat 7 Standard and yes I am well aware of the Organizer.

Debate is a meaningless word here. Adobe is a private company, Acrobat is their property.

You're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a nice work around. Thanks for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad it worked for you.

I have not searched but I wonder if there is some company out there offering pdf organizer software?

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 29, 2014 Apr 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SKIM has this feature. However, it is for Mac only - and it's free!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2012 Dec 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very least, make the number of Edit->Preferences->General->Documents "Documents in recently used list" larger than 10. I suggest at least 20, list should cascade or otherwise accessible to the last item in the list on a smaller screen. Even better, Acrobat could remember the docs you had open when you shut down your system and bring them back up when the system reboots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2013 Sep 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this post is old, but FYI if you miss Organizer you can use Apple's Preview instead. Go to preferences and choose "Open groups of files in one window" and then open multiple pdfs and they'll all show up in the sidebar of the document. It won't save this way, but at least all the docs are together while you're working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2013 Nov 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also cannot believe it has been removed. I used the organizer to select and then email multiple PDFs that are retrieved by, and stored in, a reference management program. Now I think my workflow has to be to select to email them one at a time, or save each of such provisional emails as drafts, and then drag them into a single response. This is certainly a step backwards unless there is a feature to select and send, or at least send all currently opened PDFs, in a single email???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really umbelievable such useful feature has been removed

A journal keeping record of the work done on the pdf documents open is a must!

Behind the "History" feature there is all the work done on reading and collecting documents which otherwise must be made manually since certainly the last open documents in Windows doesn't help restoring.

I don't think I will continue on using next versions of Acrobat, the XI, as it seams it does not have this feature either.

Can I mount on my computer also an older version of Acrobat, I have the 9th, just for reading and annotations?

Dave, at least the chance for a plugin?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone interested in returning the File History functionality to Acrobat/Reader, I've just finished developing a tool that does just that. For more information about it you can contact me by PM or email (try6767 [at] gmail.com).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 18, 2014 Sep 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe just released an update to Acrobat/Reader 11 that includes a new feature that significantly enhances the recently open files list, as described in the release notes: 11.0.09 Planned update, Sept 16, 2014 — Acrobat and Adobe Reader Release Notes

This brings back a lot of the functionality that was available with the former History feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines