• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cineware Breaks When I Update Cinema 4D

Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I update After Effects, it seems to just install whatever Lite version of Cinema 4D it pleases. So what if I then install a newer, full version of Cinema 4D that I have licensed? Well, I import a C4D file into AE, open the Cineware options and change the path to the new version of Cinema 4D. So far so good.

The problem comes later when I one day dcecide to delete the obsolete/outdated version of Cinema 4D because I no longer need that clutter. This is when all hell breaks loose, and Cineware no longer works. I cannot fathom why there isn't some setting to tell After Effects where my currently installed cineware.dll file is situated. If the host program is not smart enough to keep up with my program structure, why do I get penalised by not having the ability to redirect?

Please could I ask that this feature be implemented, it would save a lot of frustration. Obviously if I'm being dumb and missing some hidden corner of the preferences window, I'd appreciate help.

Thank you.

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Dynamic link , Troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Hi @ricshields_1,

Thank you for reporting this issue. When you delete the obsolete/outdated version of Cinema 4D, are you unable to again change the Cineware options to point to a newer version of C4D? Apologies if perhaps I am misunderstanding the issue.

Also, for the last several years, the version of C4D installed with After Effects is the full version. It is only "lite" if the Maxon license on the machine is also "lite". This may or may not be of relevance, but it is an important distincti

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
4 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that this will ever change. It's one of those things where you have to make certain assumptions about where stuff is located or else file loading policies and security stuff will prevent anything from working...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Mylenium. I must say I think it's quite poor when one software integrates with another, and then fails to cater for reasonable end-user administration of  their workstation. If Adobe simply added a preference field allowing us to point to an existing installation of Cineware this wouldn't be something that literally costs me billable hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ricshields_1,

Thank you for reporting this issue. When you delete the obsolete/outdated version of Cinema 4D, are you unable to again change the Cineware options to point to a newer version of C4D? Apologies if perhaps I am misunderstanding the issue.

Also, for the last several years, the version of C4D installed with After Effects is the full version. It is only "lite" if the Maxon license on the machine is also "lite". This may or may not be of relevance, but it is an important distinction.

Thanks for reporting this issue and for any further information you can provide, 

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks JohnColombo, I'm happy to elaborate...

Let's say I install After Effects on a fresh Windows machine. Let's say it installs by default with 'Cinema 4D 25'. Cool, Cineware works fine. Now let's say I install the Maxon app to manage a copy of the latest Cinema 4D subscription I've just bought. That app then installs 'Cinema 4D 2023', which is what I wants because I'm paying for the latest version and want to be up to date. Occasionally I'll also use this app to update to a newer version of C4D. This sometimes breaks After Effects/Cineware, and if I want to import a C4D file into AE it just gives me a useless error window with no way to redirect it to the highest level install of C4D. It's a catch-22, where you need Cineware to be working in order to redirect it in the effect settings to ones preferred install of C4D. If it's not working you have to go through this whole reinstall debacle which is annoying. Also, it means that I have to have a second obsolete version of C4D installed on my machine in case AE gets lost. Clunky. A simple fix would be putting a field to point AE to a preferred install of Cinema/Cineware in the preferences, as opposed to in the effects setting of Cineware.

Hopefully that's clear?

Votes

Translate

Translate