• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Dreamweaver a Drag & Drop type of Web Editor?

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a coder, just a small business owner who ownes a html template that I need to edit and upload to my domain.   In the demo video's they show people coding, but I don't have that experience and need to know if this web editor will suit my needs.  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really, no.

Dreamweaver does have some visual layout tools, but you really do need an understanding of html, css and javascript to make the most out of them.

It's not drag and drop like Muse or GoLive were.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not a drag and drop editor, l don't know if there is such a thing apart from  maybe solutions like Wix, Squarespace, Weebly etc. Most code editors require some coding knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on how small the job is, and how often you need this updated, you might want to consider hiring some outside help a small amount to get it up and running for you. But as others have stated, the Wix/Squarespace of the world will be more what you are looking for, unless you have additional ecommerce requirements where other vendors may also come into the mix.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BigEd358  you mention that you use an HTML template, perhaps that giving us the template page or website, we could better assist you on how to fill and set up this type of file.

Most of stuff depend on how much you want to personalise this template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW is first & foremost a code editor.  It also has some nice site management and visual design panels to help you.  But without some coding skills, you'll just be frustrated and annoyed.  

What concerns me most is that you don't know what you don't know.  Therein lies the rub.  If you don't know what the pitfalls are, you can't possibly avoid them.  And that's not something a product forum like this can teach you.  That comes from years of practice and experience.

Your business site is often the first impression people have of you and what you offer.  You don't get a 2nd chance at a first impression so it needs to be done right the first time.  It's less important for hobby and vanity sites.  But if you're selling something, you owe it to yourself to put your best foot forward.

Hire a web developer to help you or use an online service.  Depending on what you do, you might want to look at platforms like  WebFlow, Shopify, Etsy, or even WordPress with an e-commerce plugin.

Good luck with your project.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But if you're selling something, you owe it to yourself to put your best foot forward.

Hire a web developer to help you

By @Nancy OShea

I've been banging my head against a wall for 47 years telling companies that.............the majority of the time if falls on deaf ears. I guess if they don't have the finances they don't have the finances but a lot of the time those finances are just misplaced and miss-spent.........advertising is ALWAYS the first budget to be cut in times of struggle and in times of plenty its still begrudgingly spent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your input!  This is a simple informational site (sorry I should have included that originally) as all my sales go through ebay, for now.  Now, back in the day I used Microsoft Expressions Web to create and edit sites, so I do understand some of the html basics so I'll probably be able to muddle through and edit the html template I purchased.  I'll just be updating the text and replacing images and that's it so I don't want to hire a web designer for that.  In the future if I decide to process ecommerce through my site, yes, at that point I will definitely hire a web designer!  So, with that being said, I think I'm going to try Dreamweaver and see how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Begin with one of the built-in starter templates.

1. Define a site.  Site > New Site.

2. Go to File > New > Starter Templates.  Pick one and hit the Create button. 

3. Go to File > SaveAs index.html.  That will give you a good starting point to work with.

Post back if you have more questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be in the early 2000's before adobe bought it. I miss those days, it's too confusing to use now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It used to be in the early 2000's before adobe bought it. I miss those days, it's too confusing to use now

By @markw69542157

=========

You mean back before HTML & CSS web standards, when browsers did whatever the heck they wanted resulting in massive disruptions from browser variation (remember cough, cough IE 6)? 

When everyone had desktops with same-sized computer screens?  And designers used fixed-width tables and absolutely positioned (layered) elements because they thought that was good web design -- until they learned it was wasn't? 

I'd rather endure a root canal than go back to the way things were. 

If Dreamweaver is too confusing, it's because you have failed to learn best practices  for creating modern websites that work on ALL devices -- xxx-small to jumbotron, and all points in between. 

Start here.

- https://www.w3schools.com/html/
- https://www.w3schools.com/css/
- https://www.w3schools.com/js/

- https://www.w3schools.com/bootstrap/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines