• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saved Date Variable

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an issue with editing and saving files, then remembering which file were changed. Ihave several manuals that are updated regularly. They all have several chapters in them.Not all chapters are updated. I want to add a variable that will post the date saved on the bottom. As updates are made and the chapter is saved, the date will show when, or if that chapter was updated.

Any ideas would be helpful. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2022 Oct 16, 2022

There are two System Variables that might be used for this task:
Modification Date (Long)
Modification Date (Short)
|It appears that they can be used on Body/Master/Reference pages, and they can be altered for formatting.

The trick might be to avoid having anything else in the document that gets detected as a modification, thus auto-updating the M.D. vars. This might include use of the Current Date vars anywhere, and perhaps Text Insets. An indicator of such is that the doc's tab shows Myfile.fm*

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two System Variables that might be used for this task:
Modification Date (Long)
Modification Date (Short)
|It appears that they can be used on Body/Master/Reference pages, and they can be altered for formatting.

The trick might be to avoid having anything else in the document that gets detected as a modification, thus auto-updating the M.D. vars. This might include use of the Current Date vars anywhere, and perhaps Text Insets. An indicator of such is that the doc's tab shows Myfile.fm* on open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second Bob's answer—use one of the two modification date variables. You might decide to remove them before distributing the final version of the document, but they are very useful for your specific workflow. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I routinely include either the current or mod date in the header or footer of my documents, assigned a color (Timestamp), controlled by Color Views: on for authoring & review drafts, off for publishing workflows.

I also routinely edit these System Vars to use ISO 8601 format so as to be concise, unambiguous and as international as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a great workflow! I haven't enabled/disabled color views since we all went to color displays, but this is the perfect use, Bob.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use the current date variable in the footer with a draft condition.

For the final version I hide this draft condition. In my oppinion easier to manage than color views (which are difficult to find for non-experienced FrameMaker users).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Condition Codes vs. Color Views

Here's an old discussion of it: Color Views Common Conventions?

I use Conditions where the remaining content needs to re-flow upon hidden, and CV where it does not. Perhaps the big problem with CV is that the states are just numbers (1-6), and can't be named.

I record them in the template file for the project, showing state#, short use, what's Normal & what's Invisible.

For a recent project, the convention was:
1. PDF ebook
2. print book
3. XML or HTML book
4. other eBook (non-paged)
5. reviewer copy
6. authoring mode (all on)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appriate all the information. The Modification date updates everytime I open the file. If I don't change aything I still show an update. I think I will keep the revissions on a seperate log.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO the Modification Date update only if you save the opened file. Close it without save to avoid this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't know that, thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines