Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ALIGN TOOL DOESN'T WORK

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear All,

I have an issue to use the align tool, for alignment the object to center of the art-board as per attach screenshot.

Please advise to fix it.

Thanks & B/regards,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Please read the documentation: How to move, align, and distribute objects in Illustrator

Align to artboard is an option in the panel. You need to show the options.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the documentation: How to move, align, and distribute objects in Illustrator

Align to artboard is an option in the panel. You need to show the options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2018 Jul 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Monika Gause​ said:

alignToArtboard.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It help for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually have a bug. I click align left, nothing moves. I click align right, and then it does. Any ideas why that might be the case? I have tried with align to selection and with align to artboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sumner25309043laj5,

We are sorry for the trouble. Would you mind checking if this is happening on a new document with new objects/ layers? If it doesn't, would you mind resetting Illustrator preferences and let us know how it goes.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive made a new document and the issue preseists. I have tried resetting illustartor preferences but the error presists. It is even more extreme when I try using distributed align

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Align panel is working perfectly. Can you show some screen captures? Also, try toggling the GPU performance preference. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The panel works well, it is I click align left it doesnt work, I click align right it works. A screenshot would just be two squares highlighted and me trying to click a button? Not very useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Sumner25309043laj5,

Thanks for getting back to us. Would it be possible for you to share a small recording of the issue along with a sample file? This would really help us understand the issue, and we can assist accordingly.

Looking forward to it.

Regards,

Anshul Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really? The broken align feature is file dependent. So on some files left align doesnt work. In another it is right align. Since these are literally new documents with nothing but squares in them, I find it hard to believe someone me clicking the button is the issue (especially since I already reset preferences).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just the shapes, it's the panel setting too. The settings may be file different from file to file, but not the feature. How about uploading a sample document that demonstrates the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anshul_Saini @Creamer Training Here is a video with the panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol, never mind. Adobe says it can't recognize its own .ai file type and I cant upload it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• The attachment's example.ai content type (application/postscript) does not match its file extension and has been removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having that problem with another Adobe program. Go figure...

I messaged you my email if you want to send me the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your alignment problem has something to do with the way the file was constructed, specifically, the multi-level groups. I did not spend a lot of time trying to figure out what actually caused the problem, but I did solve the alignment problem. I ungrouped each object (separately) until they would not ungroup anymore--then I grouped it back together once. 

2022-07-22_13-16-34.gif2022-07-22_13-17-19.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @Creamer Training, for checking this out. It does seem like a specific file issue. I hope your insights help @Sumner25309043laj5.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sumner25309043laj5, i got the same bug too and I solve it. there is a group of objects that have "layer" in it. It's a blank layer so you can't actually see it, but that layer is the one causing the problem. Try to locate it and delete it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2018 Jul 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika for your advice, I forgot to select the option to center to artboard instead of the default center to selection, now the tools working well.

B/regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm use to Align to Artboard as a Default setting.  Even if I selected a few items, selected a KEY item to align.  The Setting would go back to Artboard.  With 24.2 update, the last used align to:  becomes the default.   By definition, Default would be a fixed setting, not constantly changing as 24.2 seems to do now.  Once in align to Key mode, selecting several items will automatically guess a key item.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed this too.  It's very very annoying.  Adobe, please fix the default behavior of the alignment tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is about version CC2018

In version 24.2 we have a completely different issue, because it's a bug. The engineers are working on it already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines