• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Application Window Stuck to Single Point on Screen

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I go deep trying to figure out why this is happening, I thought I'd just make a casual post about it, just in case I'm doing somemthing stupid that has an easy fix.

Illustrator and Photoshop seem to be locked to a single position on my screen(s). As shown in the attached video, click and drag snaps back to the original position regardless of what you do.

The windows snapping features are turned off. I have the beta versions of Illustrator and Photoshop installed as well as the current stable non-beta versions. This snapping behavior is occuring in both.

Win 10 x64, RTX 3070

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

こんにちは。

下記のスレッドは皆さんの助けになりますか?

(日本語コミュニティです)

ありがとう。

ウィンドウが移動できません 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience with this issue. We've been actively working on a possible fix, and we've just released the latest Beta build (version 28.1.87). Could you please give it a try and let us know if the problem is resolved with this version? Your feedback will help us ensure a smoother experience for you. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation!

Anshul_Saini_0-1699361504980.png

Best,

Anshul Saini

#Marking it correct to highlight & notify you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Hi @oxygen-30237602 @jonsharpe @mmcconne78 @hidepooh @skipperadam,

Thank you for reporting the window positioning issue in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. We appreciate your patience and the detailed information you've provided.

We want to inform you that we have logged a bug with our product team to investigate and resolve this issue. Your reports have been instrumental in helping us understand the scope of the problem.

If we need any further information or updates, we will reach out to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2023 Aug 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's strange, do you have multiple monitors? where is your taskbar?

what happens if you double click on Illustrator title bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, quite strange. I do have multiple monitors. The main laptop screen and an external 24" LG monitor both in 3840x2160, and then there is a 3rd smaller screen (3840x1100) below the primary monitor. 

My taskbar is situated at the top of my screen (old habits die hard, heh), and yeah - Illustrator does get stuck behind it every once in a while. One of the only programs that does. But I digress...  The taskbar is on the primary screen only.

Double clicking the Illustrator title bar expands the window to fill the screen.

For the purposes of my reporting this, yeah, all of Windows snapping features are off. Ironically, turning them on is the only way to get the app window somewhere else. If I drag the app window and snap it to the side of the screen I want to use, I can then un-snap it - and it will then stay on the desired monitor. Mind you, it is still locked - but to a new area.

It's truly bizarre. I'm not sure what to do lol... Nothing else exhibits this behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2023 Aug 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it is bizarre indeed.

you mentioned photoshop and illustrator, are other applications fine? can you move them freely without issues?

I'll test it on Tuesday when I go to the office, I have two monitors there (without issues though)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem  Not a multimonitor system and no Windows SNAP.  Happens with Illustrator and Photoshop but not Premiere Pro or Media Encoder.  Started about the same time as the original post after an update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why is this closed?   I don't see a solution here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! so annoying!! only Photoshop and Illustlator. The other adobe softwares such as Audition, Premiere, After Effects are no problem. I am using Windows 11, Surface Laptop Studio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jonsharpe @skipperadam @hidepooh,

This behavior seems quite unusual. To further diagnose and resolve the issue with Illustrator being stuck to a single point on the screen, would you mind sharing the details like:

• Try running Illustrator in System Safe Mode (MacWindows) to check how it behaves.

• Please share detailed information about your systems, including your operating system version, hardware specifications, and any additional software or extensions that may be running concurrently. Also, please confirm if there were any recent OS updates or apps that you have installed.

• As a troubleshooting step, try installing an older version of Illustrator, like version 27.7 or older, to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is specific to version 27.8.1.

By providing this information and trying these steps, we can narrow down the cause of the problem and work towards a solution. Additionally, if you have any additional observations, please share them to aid in troubleshooting.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we'll do our best to assist you further.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been since around Photoshop 24.5  Illustlator 27.6.1. I am not sure which version from exactly. It happends on my Windows 11, and Windows 10.

I do not want to test Safe Mode but here is my Windows 11 info:

Windows 11 Pro 64bit 22H2, Surface Laptop Studio

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz 3.30 GHz
RAM 32.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing more information, @hidepooh. It's unfortunate to hear that this issue has been persistent across multiple apps, versions, and operating systems.

Given the circumstances, if you're not comfortable with trying Safe Mode, you can indeed try installing an older version of Illustrator, such as version 27.5 or last year's version 26.5 (https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html). This can help determine whether the problem is specific to the newer versions (27.6.1 and 27.8.1) or if it's a broader issue.

Please go ahead and install Illustrator version 27.5 and let us know if you experience the same issue. Your feedback will be valuable in isolating the problem and finding a suitable solution.

Thank you for your cooperation, and we're here to assist you further in resolving this issue.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Photoshop ver. 24.5 instead, it does not have the issue.

Here is the video, both Photoshop old virsion no issue and Illustlator new virsion with issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the video demonstrating the issue you've encountered, @hidepooh. I appreciate your patience as we investigate this matter.

I've forwarded the video to our product team for their further analysis. In the meantime, to help us narrow down the issue, could you please try installing an older version of Illustrator, specifically v27.5? This will help confirm whether the problem is specific to versions 27.6 and newer, as we are unable to do so on our end. Also, have you tried resetting Illustrator preferences (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html)?

Additionally, if you could share the build number of your Windows 11 Pro 64bit 22H2 and experience package, it would be helpful for our investigation.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated, and we're working diligently to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Illustlator 27.6.1, and it does not have the issue at all. So the conclusion is: latest 2 virsions on both Photoshop and Illustlator have the issue.

As well, the OS build of my windows 11 22h2 is : 22621.2215

As I mentioned, this happened on my Windows 10 desktop as well. Windows 10 latest virsion, and have GeForce grahpic. The same situation. 

There should be many people having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the additional information, @hidepooh.

It's helpful to know that this issue seems to be affecting the last two versions of Illustrator on your Windows devices. We have released a new version today, so would you mind trying the latest version, which is 27.9?

In addition to updating, resetting Illustrator preferences can sometimes resolve unexpected issues. Here is the help article with steps (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-preference-issues.html) to reset preferences. This process will restore Illustrator to its default settings, which can sometimes fix problems related to application settings.

Let us know if the issue persists even after updating to the latest version and resetting preferences.

I hope trying these steps helps resolve the problem you're experiencing. If you still encounter any further issues or have more questions, please don't hesitate to reach out for assistance.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Illustlator 27.9, but NO. The issue came back again!! I tried resetting pref file as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @jonsharpe, we're sorry for the trouble. It looks like we need to troubleshoot this in a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jonsharpe have you been able to solve this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the issue related with the software version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @oxygen-30237602,

I see you're encountering an issue where the application window appears to be stuck at a single point on your screen. The product is investigating the issue and requires the following info to better understand & address this issue, it would be immensely helpful if you could provide some additional details:

• Could you please share information about the operating system you're using (e.g., Windows 10, macOS Ventura, etc.)?

• GPU make & model

• Have you experienced this issue with previous versions of Illustrator on the same machine? Knowing whether this is a new problem or a recurring issue can provide valuable context.

• Have you attempted to resolve the issue by resetting Illustrator's preferences? This can sometimes clear up display-related problems caused by corrupted preferences.

• Are you using any third-party snapping or window management applications? These tools can sometimes interfere with the positioning of application windows.

By sharing these details, we can gain a clearer understanding of the situation and work toward finding a solution.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated, and I'm here to assist you further once we have more information.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini

Thanks for your contact.

About your questions:
- Operating system: Windows 10
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
- This issue is currently happening on Adobe Photoshop 2023 v24.7.0.
- Already reset Photoshop preferences without success.
- No third-party snapping or window management applications added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the additional details about your system and the version of Adobe Photoshop where you're experiencing this issue, @oxygen-30237602. I appreciate your cooperation in providing this information.

Since you've already reset Photoshop preferences and ruled out third-party applications, let's try running Photoshop as an administrator to see if that has any effect. Sometimes, issues related to window positioning or permissions can be resolved by running an application with elevated privileges.

While we try this, I will also continue to follow up with our product team to gather more information and explore potential solutions.

Please let me know if running Photoshop as an administrator has any impact on the issue you're facing, and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions or observations. We're here to assist you.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Anshul_Saini.
I've already tried running Photoshop as administrator, unfortunately the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue here windows will not move from their locations, isolated to Photoshop and Illustrator. I can maximise the windows but they will not move on the desktop.

Windows 11

RTX 2080 Super

DirectX 12.0

Photoshop 25

Illustrator 27.9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2023 Sep 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @oxygen-30237602 @jonsharpe @mmcconne78 @hidepooh @skipperadam,

Thank you for reporting the window positioning issue in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. We appreciate your patience and the detailed information you've provided.

We want to inform you that we have logged a bug with our product team to investigate and resolve this issue. Your reports have been instrumental in helping us understand the scope of the problem.

If we need any further information or updates, we will reach out to you. In the meantime, as a workaround, please install v27.6.1 for Illustrator and v254.5 for Photoshop while we work on addressing this issue in future updates.

We understand the impact this issue can have on your workflow, and we apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused. Your feedback is crucial in helping us improve our products, and we're committed to finding a solution as soon as possible.

Thank you for being valuable members of the Adobe community, and if you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

こんにちは。

下記のスレッドは皆さんの助けになりますか?

(日本語コミュニティです)

ありがとう。

ウィンドウが移動できません 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines