• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to access the Tilde key with a French Keyboard?

Guide ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator, "Tilde" key ~ seems to have some magical power:

According to Adobe's site, it can "transform pattern (independent of object) when using Selection tool, Scale tool, Reflect tool, or Shear tool". 

Sounds great! I wish I could play around with it, but... I use a French keyboard. No such key on my keyboard.

azerty-qwerty[1].jpg

² key is not working. And to access the tilde character, I must combine alt + é/2 keys, which obviously results to a duplication of the selected object.

I know I could change my keyboard through the Windows regional settings, but maybe there's another way.

Maybe this key is hidden somewhere, or maybe I could change it through the keyboard shortcuts menu. 

Any help appreciated.

Specs: CS6 - Windows 7

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not always the tilde key. On German keyboards it's the < resp the Ö

So you might want to just search around your keyboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Monika

As a matter of fact, I did try every key, with no luck...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinny,

Maybe too silly, but will you try once again the £ (Caps), just to the left of the Entrée key on the AZERTY keyboard?

That is the character on a French Mac keyboard with the same function as the ~ Tilde.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing is too silly...

I've tried the £ key again, with no luck.

As far as I understand the Tilde key, it can do several things.

It can be used for repeating shapes, just like this:

43-Illustrator-The-Tilde-Trick.jpg

That can in fact be done with a french keyboard using the key.jpgkey.

The other function, the one I'm wondering if it can be achieved with my keyboard is moving a pattern inside its container object.

Like this:

Rki3O.gif

Mystery still unsolved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That moving pattern inside object works in some other languages, but not all. And it depends on the system. On German Windows systems for example you can't take it for granted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see... I'm starting to think the only way to access the function is to virtually change the keyboard.

I'll keep investigate but I'm afraid this is hopeless.

If some Adobe Staff is reading this thread, can he/she note that We aren't all Americans! (yet)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the keyboard, the keyboard language, the system language and the Illustrator language all playing together.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinny,

Thank you for the added knowledge.

The Tilde (partial) replacement key %/ù you mention in your post #8 is on the AZERTY keyboard, Is there a key that works the same on the French QWERTY keyboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a French QWERTY keyboard.

French standard is AZERTY.

Both Tilde and back-stick characters are only accessible while holding AltGr key, which results to a duplication of the selected object. (most exactly it produces the same result than Ctrl + Alt combination, but you know that)

Maybe there's a way somehow to disable AltGr duplication behavior, but I couldn't find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vinny,

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a French QWERTY keyboard.

I was fooled by the French labels on the first (QWERTY) keyboard shown in your OP (original post), they look just like the ones on the second (AZERTY) keyboard, Entrée and the ones to the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vinny38  schrieb

Hey Monika

As a matter of fact, I did try every key, with no luck...

Is the Illustrator version also in French?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Monika. It's a French version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Shift plus the key to the left of the w?     > <

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surely not Alt+é but AltGr+é.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, not Alt but AltGr, my mistake.

However both Alt and AltGr duplicate the object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have a french-Canadian QWERTY keyboard, live in Quebec.. I am able to move patterns within and object with both selection and direct selection tool and alt+the u accent to the left of the z, when I  press shift and that same letter I get the Tilde ~......Hope this helps

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 8.49.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately not working with an AZERTY keyboard...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post this on http://illustrator.uservoice.com

There the engineers will read it. And they are the only ones who can fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried typing Ctrl + Shift + 2 (pressing all of these keys at the same time)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meganchi  schrieb

Have you tried typing Ctrl + Shift + 2 (pressing all of these keys at the same time)?

In this case you need the tilde as a modifier key. And then this shortcut won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found !!!! Key combination AltGr + ù. It works perfectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for trying to solve out this old problem, but again, this just can't work...

If you hold down AltGr,  this will duplicate the object...

For what it's worth, I think the "tilde" trick is badly named.

It should be named "backstick" trick, since it's actually the backstick key that is held on a Qwerty keyboard...

I gave up on this one, and when I have to move a pattern, I just use the transform tool:

transform.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To everyone in this thread who wants this solved: please add your vote:

A hotkey to make the Transform tool only transform fill patterns. – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a lot of testing it turned out that the < key worked for me. (Norwegian with norwegian keyboard).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines