• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to use pen tool, NOT curvature tool, to curve a line?

Engaged ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my post before responding, not just the title. I'm more used to the way the pen tool works in Photoshop than in Illustrator and I want to know if what I'm trying to do is possible.

In Photoshop, if I draw a line with the pen tool (one anchor point to the other) and I later decide I want to curve that line, I can do that easily by adding another point to the line.

If I hold CTRL when I click to drag the point, which turns the pen tool into a direct selection tool, it curves the line where I drag it like SAMPLE A. If I don't hold CTRL when I click to drag the point, it instead curves up from the the ends like SAMPLE B.

example.jpg

SAMPLE A is what I want to do with the pen tool in AI.

BUT in Illustrator, if I try to do the same thing with the pen tool, adding a point then clicking CTRL and dragging it, it doesn't curve the line. It brings it to a sharp point like SAMPLE C. Only if I double click and drag the point with the curvature tool does it curve the way I want like SAMPLE D.

1.jpg

Double clicking the anchor point to switch the line between curved and straight only seems to work with the curvature tool. I'm manually tracing over my old sketches and I'm not going to constantly switch back and forth between pen and curvature.

I know I can click and drag as I create points to curve lines with the pen tool. That's not the kind of curving I want. I specifically want to be able to curve an already completed line in a path after the fact in the way I've shown.

I've already read Adobe articles like this one: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/draw-edit-curves.html. I've already watched videos. They don't seem to answer the direct question: Can I get the regular pen tool to behave like it does in PS?

If not, I'll do the tracing in PS and export the paths to AI instead and only use AI when I'm drawing something new.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 15, 2020 Feb 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

whamalamaboom, Hello.
Time has passed, but have you already solved it?
How about using the curvature tool?

Path.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

whamalamaboom,

How about using the Convert Anchor Point Tool (bundled with the Pen Tool) in C, then just (Shift if horizontal is desired) ClickDrag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines