• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2019 True-size view issues with pixel based artwork

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else having issues with artboard scaling in Illustrator CC 2019 when working with pixels? We use Illustrator for all web layout, but since this update, it doesn’t seem to want to display artwork correctly at 100%. I can appreciate the issues we’ve all had for many years with print related material not being displayed correctly. This has been sorted (which is great), and certainly for me on my primary monitor, artwork set with mm units (I'm based in the UK) is displayed pretty much to size, give or take a mm or two.

Displaying pixel based artwork at 100% is now massive! Surely it cannot be difficult to display pixels at 1:1?!

Has anyone else discovered this issue or know of a workaround? Switching to Pixel Preview displays it to scale, but for me, this is unusable in terms of performance. When not in Pixel Preview, displaying artwork at 66.67% is actually to scale...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Even with this box unticked in preferences?

actualsize.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here (working on a 27" iMac). The only solution I found (after spending 2 hours trying to figure out what the heck was going on) was to re-install and use Illustrator CC 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you switch your view to pixel preview (Alt+Ctrl+Y) it will give you the correct pixel size view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my question: "Switching to Pixel Preview displays it to scale, but for me, this is unusable in terms of performance.". I have a new 15" MacBook Pro outputting to a %k monitor - the size of the files we generally work with makes this not an option. .

Also, I don't want to work in a pixelated view. A huge percentage of the devices we design for are retina. I'd just love to be able to display artwork at 1:1, which Illustrator has done for as long as I can remember when using pixels as a unit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, got you, sorry about that.

Maybe you should submit a bug report: Illustrator Bugs: New (1369 ideas) – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - I've just suggest it as a fix. It behaves the same on different monitors, so I don't think its specific to my individual setup.

It seems to me they have fixed the issue of print related artwork not displaying correctly at scale and in the process have broken web related artwork. Arguably pixels are more important (and certainly easier as the artwork is being displayed on pixels!) as there is no way to 'measure' a pixel in the same way we have been measuring print artwork on screen for decades!

I just wanted to  ensure other people were experiencing this and that there was no way to fix the problem in settings. Pixel preview does in indeed sort out the issue and artwork is display at the correct size, but as I said, I don't really want to work in a pixelated view. Moreover, with my setup the performance is just completely unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you are right, it has only started to view like this since the new update. Lets hope they can do something about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've added a preference for it in beta today:

100% view is not 100% for pixels in cc2019 – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Until the CC app release though, you'll need to sign up to prerelease to download it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a temporary tweak, I'm using 72% zoom. Doesn't fix the problem but I can see my work on 1:1 pixel base.

Really annoying this new "feature". Hope they fix it.

--------

Working on a Lenovo Laptop / 15,4" / 1366x768px / Intel Core i-5 / AMD Radeon HD8500M / Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read Doug's reply you can see that there is a fix on the horizon..?

The screen percentage will be different for a lot of people depending on the size of there viewing area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I thought I was alone in the universe... After last update, Illustrator has been driving me nuts with my web mock-up projects. I thought I was working on bad size, as visualy everything was bigger, but objects and font sizes were typed correct in pixels... also actual size was 100% (something that illustrator has been exact always). By the way, for all who work on Windows, try to make a test screen capture, and paste it on Illustrator or photoshop... it will be pasted almost the triple of the real size. It's obvious that the copy of the screen is made in real monitor pixels (on my iMac 27 retina running Windows, a 1920px wide web page capture, is pasted as a 4080px image width size)

It seems that the fix print visualization (now exact), has been done at expenses of pixel scale preview. I suppose that the easy way to solve it, should be a new option button to set the resolution of the end product when create a new document. I mean... if 100% pixel, let it as 1:1... if for print, 300ppi, 175ppi, etc, let Illustrator make the calculations for us (I rather prefer to click the cmd+1, than create custom views and always acces them by clicking the view menu)

By the way... I don't know if it happens on Mac OS, but I read somewhere, that the current october update of windows 10 is managing the retina displays -and in general hi density screens- with new tools (also read that new Windows would ship with a new Snipping-tool update, suppose to correct such issues). Maybe is this new Windows management of screen resolutions that fools adobe system of size conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey olioconnor, how did you the calculations to get these 66.67%? I suppose it should be calculated based on our monitor pixel density or resolution. I've get a 70% on my 27 retina iMac, with a trial error switching on and off with presentation mode on Illustrator.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Flandres, for me I took a screenshot of my display and used as a reference, setting the zoom level manually until I found a perfect fit. For it was 72%. I image that on different screens it may vary. Creating an artboard of the same size of the screen may be useful as a reference, by using CTRL+0, then fine tune manually.

Hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Leo! its a good "analogic" way to get the numbers 🙂 I remember doing the same trick many years ago in an electronic music project. I calculated the beats per minute of a MP3 song using a screenshot of the song's waveform, and then stretching it in Photoshop to match another with known BPM in a lower layer... the result percentage of the stretch were enough to calculate the MP3 speed 🙂

Nowadays, even the cheaper music DAW calculate it right from any audio source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have the fix available in the latest release. Please update Illustrator using Adobe Creative Cloud application to the latest build for version Illustrator CC 23.0.1

Please refer to our knowledge base FAQ – https://illustrator.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/1844590 if you face difficulty in while updating.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange as i have the latest update and this problem still persists..?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem still persists on the latest build (23.0.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even with this box unticked in preferences?

actualsize.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does the trick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That worked! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Just to let you know Adobe have implemented a fix in the latest beta - have a read of this support thread:

100% view is not 100% for pixels in cc2019 – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

At least they are taking it fairly seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a fix and is available in the pre-release build. Please visit https://adobe.ly/1o2SDsg and get the latest build for version 23.0.1

While the build is prerelease this build is still of production quality. Please feel free to use / recommend it for your day to day activity.

Warm Regards,

Ashutosh Chaturvedi | Sr. Quality Engineering Manager – Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines