• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen flickers when highlighting text

Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2023 Sep 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NEW UPDATE TO MY LAST UPDATE:  THE BUGS ARE BACK. I just installed ID's update 19.0.1 and now when I select text with the rulers visible...screen flashes white!  When I hide the rulers and select the text there is a slight flicker.  This no longer strikes me as a Mac bug, but how will we know until Adobe releases an update for the M2 chip. What is taking so long??

HOLD THE WEDDING!  I just updated Sonoma to 14.1. and SUDDENLY I was able to turn on GPU which was previously grayed out.  The flickering has stopped with the rulers visible in ID on my MacBook Air  M2 -- HOORAY. I suppose it was Sonoma and not Adobe's problem.  THIS IS NOT REALLY FIXED (see above)

This is driving me crazy. I have the latest version of InDesign on a MacBook Air M2; I have 32 GB Ram and 1 TB hard drive. Every time I selecr text by highlighting it in the text frame, the screen flickers like crazy then goes white util I release the mouse button.I just updated the OS to Sonoma. Hiding the rulers stops the flickering BUT I need to have the rulers visible, so when I drag a guide I can see where I'm putting it. The flickering makes guide placement impossible. I'd say this is a MAJOR bug that Adobe better be working night and day to fix. The bug also affects MacBook M1 which is supposedly compatable. 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Did you read any of the information here? Update Sonoma!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 153 Replies 153
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thia Mac bug is solved by updating to Sonoma 14.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, how about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have the issue even with Sonoma 14.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be awesome (if updating to 14.1 fixed the InDesign bug).

--
Seth Levinson, Design
(@Seth LevinsonThis is a public forum. All of your personal contact information from your email signature was removed for your safety. Please take care to remove it prior to posting here. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem too but i'm on a modest mac mini M1 with only 8 GB RAM. This is the second MAJOR issue with Sonoma, the first being the MERGE CRASHES. I figured out how to use illustrator to do a merge but it's not nearly as smooth as with ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8GB of RAM is not nearly enough (it is the bare minimum to even install and launch the application) and cannot be eliminated as the cause of your issues. RAM is cheap; upgrade the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, you should know better: an Apple M1 has on chip memory and can not be upgraded...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, silly me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😁

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah...sadley the best thing so far about Sonoma "Sonoma Horizon" screen
saver.

--
Personal info deleted by moderator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please turn off the signature when you reply via email! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue too, M1 Mac Mini, Sonoma 14.1 (23B74). Just updated to 14.1 and updated ID to 19.0, yet this is STILL a problem. Flashing screen when moving guides, selecting text, moving objects.

This is a huge oversight on Adobe's part. You have had literal months to fix this. Please make this a priortiy fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MightyMoria:

As you can see from just this one thread, this is impacting a lot of people. Adobe is aware of these issues and they are working on getting them resolved.

No version of InDesign is supported on Sonoma as of right now, so yes this is still a problem. Your best bet is to roll your operating system back to Ventura 13.6.1 and reinstall InDesign 2023/18.5. If you can't/won't do that, hiding the rulers can help with the screen flickering. (FWIW, I'm running 19.0 on Ventura 13.6.1 with no issues but I haven't used it for a paid job yet and won't until updates are released.)

Adobe and Apple do not synchronize their updates, it's up to us as users to make sure that our software will run up the next operating system prior to updating. I also recommend disabling application auto-updates in the Creative Cloud Desktop App so that you can decide when you want to update. See https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/blog/

And as a gentle reminder to everyone reading this post and all the others on the same topic, we don't need to update our software just because there is a new release. Once the updates are released that fix the .0 bugs, that's when to think about updating. This applies to operating systems, applications, phone upgrades, etc. It's a hard lesson to learn, but I think this is the year when a lot of folks will understand this recommendation.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning @Barb Binder 

I just wanted to chime in with a couple thoughts, not personal towards you, but since you state us/we in your response, you are standing in as the voice of Adobe so I wanted to comment on a few of these Adobe policies. 

First of all, I believe that Adobe should be prepared to support a new operating system day one when it comes out. It’s not as if it drops out of the blue there is plenty of lead up time where a large number of developers are working to support any bugs ahead of release. The notion that Adobe wouldn’t even begin to look at an updated OS till it’s out in the wild puts their users in the situation of being inadvertent beta testers. Through ignorance or assumption, people believe the two should work together right away. 

Of course there might be small issues not identified during initial testing, Apple doesn’t start over on each operating system release. This isn’t a Windows 10 to Windows 11 scenario, most everything carries over just fine that last few years on the Apple side. 

The ecosystem are different between PC and Mac. I see all the time a reluctance in PC users to update Windows, an article just this past week about about users protesting moving to 11 and I don’t see that nearly as prevalent in the Mac side. There are a lot of Mac users excited about new features and eager to update so advice to just “wait” in order for Adobe to get around to support is a bit condescending. How long to wait?! Sonoma has been out over a month. That means Adobe has had over a months worth of subscription funds come in and yet I’m suppose to hold off on my free update from Apple?

When Adobe apps use to be one time purchases, a lot of users held off till they just didn’t work anymore before updating. By going subscription this situation was created by Adobe that we give money each month for software and yet we are told to sit tight and wait more and pay more till the company deems its time to move forward. Just comes across as Adobe putting themselves before their customers. When the company says they support the current OS plus 2 versions back it’s just confusing when Adobe starts the clock on current version. 

I have not participated in the pre-release program that Adobe has, other than signing up for InDesign just to see if the preferences not importing in to 2024 has been addressed in that eco-system. I would be curious how Adobe takes to users in the pre-release program who are already running beta of a new operating system. Since Sonoma has been out a month I would think that any feedback given over the last 154 days regarding compatibility is not priority if Adobe doesn’t have a policy of investigating compatibility ahead of public release. If Adobe did, an as a tester of MacOS ahead of general release, I would be more inclined to participate in pre-release testing if I thought that it lead to a day one smooth release of updated Adobe products. 

Just wanted to share some thoughts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious...do you think Apple should be testing its operating systems with major software releases? Are you aware of the bug in Ventura that caused InDesign to crash repeatedly? Do you know that it was an operating system update put out by Apple that fixed it?

We have no idea whose problem this is to solve but I will repeat what I've said over and over again...upgrading an operating system without checking compatibility with mission-critical software is a huge mistake. I'm a Windows user who has no reluctance to upgrade because I have a second machine for testing. If you don't have that luxury, then upgrading should not be done until every mission-critical application is certified to be compatible.

All that said, hopefully this gets fixed soon but pointing fingers and failing to learn a lesson here about making backups and researching thoroughly is inevitably going to leave you in the same boat you're in now in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting question @BobLevine and no I don't think Apple or even more so Microsoft care about what percentage of software works or doesn't work from release to release. While I can't speak to what Windows does, I know that Apple has made it a priority to let developers and users know when they will begin to phase out support, dropping 32 bit is a good example. 

Regaredin the Venture bug that crashed InDesign, I remember that and I remember we had the same conversations back a year ago around that. Did InDesign not crash with Ventura Dev release in June of 2022 all the way up to October 2022? Early identification, especially when it can be addresses in a smaller ecosystem sooner can help build in the time especially when the fix needs to occur on the OS side. I know for a fact Apple is VERY interested to hear about bugs in the Dev release window because they say they don't want to release a buggy product. Of course they still do have issues in there, and we could certainly discuss at length that the wall that Apple has built makes it difficult to communicate with them about issues. I've gotten several bugs addresses over the year, wish I had a more direct connection but I would be surprised if Adobe didn't have more pull and ability to interact with both Apple and Microsoft than a user or smaller dev. Being a bit more proactive on starting testing sooner, even if its just with volunteer testers, I would like to think would allow for a smoother rollout and less headaches is the thinking. Just to state it, I'm not angry here, just problem solving strategizing is all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Microsoft and Apple have come a very long way in this regard. They both release upgrades under development but there's no way to catch everything. One thing I can say, as someone who's used both operating systems, I think Apple ignores backward compatibility a bit too much and Microsoft pays too much attention to it. There are people (not me for sure) running Pagemaker on Windows 11.

But again, I hope this one gets fixed soon but I find it curious that neither party is taking ownership.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning, @clif_CROP:

I appreciate your comments, and the kindness with which you shared them. This is a tough situation and everyone is ready for it to be resolved. FWIW, I have no idea what the hold up is, and as per Bob's comment, I don't even know if it falls on Apple or Adobe. (I know it feels like this falls in completely in Adobe's lap, but honestly, none of us know.) I'm also entirely in the dark on the timeline.

"I just wanted to chime in with a couple thoughts, not personal towards you, but since you state us/we in your response, you are standing in as the voice of Adobe so I wanted to comment on a few of these Adobe policies."

As for my use of "we", I poked around to see if I misused it someplace on a thread with you and I'm not finding it. (If you do, of course, please share it with me!) You're responding to my answer to Mighty Mora, and it looks like I used "we" and "they" as intended.

To clarify, like you, I am a user of Adobe software, and this is a user-to-user forum hosted by Adobe. Sometimes, I use "we/us" to indicate the users, as per my response to Mora. I am also part of the Adobe Community Experts program, so other times, I may use "we/us" to indicate the Adobe Community Experts who volunteer time to answer questions for other users. In all cases, the role of an Community Expert is to stop by the forums to help out other users when we have time, and all opinions expressed are our own. Adobe staff is identified with an Adobe Employee badge and the Community Experts have our own badge so that you can tell us apart. For example:

2023-11-06_09-49-28.png

Not being an Adobe employee, I wouldn't use the word "we" to refer to Adobe, unless it was inadvertent. In my response above, "Adobe is aware of these issues and they are working on getting them resolved."  I know none of this is obvious to those new to the forums—who always think they are talking directly to Adobe—so hopefully this clarifies our roles for others reading this thread.

By the way, I know you can't wait for the software to get updated, but I can't wait until the questions return to how to create a paragraph style, and how change hyphens to en dashes, etc. This is wearing on everyone. Hopefully we ("we" as in we InDesign users) don't have to wait much longer. 🤞🏼

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning @Barb Binder and thanks for your message. Glad we are all keeping it civil, had some interactions last week that weren't so even though no InDesign update again today, we are all keeping real cooooool about it. LOL

Sorry that was on me for insuating the we/us thing yesterday. I'm aware fo the Adobe employee badging from previous interactions with some of those folks, I think it was the: "we don't need to update our software just because there is a new release" that came across as Adobe didn't need to update software but on re-read I see you were still speaking as a user. Sorry about that! 

Sorry, stepped away for a second to re-check for updates....nada. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case it matters, in this Uservoice discussion about the issue, Adobe is clearly stating it is an Apple issue that needs to be fixed. I don't think they posted that without consulting with Apple on it. [macOS Sonoma]White Screen on drawing marquee/highlighting text in CPU and Overprint Preview modes –...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off your rulers, turn on GPU Performance (if it's available) or roll back to Ventura. We still don't know who's bug this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone:

Happy to share some good news: the first update to InDesign 19.0 is being rolled out regionally (19.0.1). I just checked and it's not yet available to me in Colorado but perhaps it's available to some of you. 

This first update doesn't fix everything but it's a step in the right direction. 

InDesign 19.0.1 - Enhanced Stability, User Experience and Performance

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-19-0-1-enhanced-stability-user-experien...

Note that Sonoma is still not supported. Keep an eye on this forum or check the system requirments page for updates:
https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is indeed great news. After the nasties that popped up with the
initial update, I'll hold off to see how this rolls out. Appreciating
everyone's diligence with wanting to get this right!-)

--
Seth Levinson, Design
(This is a public forum. For your safety, your personal contact information has been removed by the moderator.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated. Unfortuantely, here Sonoma 14.1 – Mac mini Intel, the bug is still present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record: the same goes on Sonoma 14.1.1 (recently released).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines