• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text disappears when typing in text box

Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue where when I make any changes to text within a text box, like typing within it, cutting/pasteing, editing, etc. the text disappears. Sometimes it'll come back if I click out of the text box. Sometimes it comes back if I switch between normal and preview mode.

It doesn't happen every time, but often enough to be incredibly annoying.

I'm running:

• Mac OS 11.4
  • Macbook Air M1 2020
  • InDesign 16.2.1
TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 6 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Hi all, 

Sorry for the trouble this issue has caused. I understand how frustrating it is. Our engineers are working hard to fix this as soon as possible. 
It is hard to believe that the issue is not fixed even after multiple user attempts. I can definitely assure you at it's a work in progress.

@roberteblesse I will try to answer all the questions in the best possible way. This issue is completely dynamic. There are different scenarios where users are facing this issue. We have worked with mu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Hi @Twall55,

Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the "Available Program" section to join the InDesign prerelease.

Then accept the Prerelease agreement and follow the steps mentioned below to install the

prerelease v17.2.0.9:

- Close InDesign
- Go to Creative Cloud Desktop and look for Prerelease in the Apps section. (If you don't see it, then please check you are login with the same email ID you have signed in on the Prerelease website. If it still doesn't show up, the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Install the 17.2 pre-relase. It has worked well for me on a 2020 M1 MacBookPro! See instructions posted above or see the tips I posted above that helped with 17.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Finally!!! I installed the prerelease (17.2) and the bug that persisted for far too long has finally disappeared. After 9 months of hard work, I was finally able to do one day of layout without any bug. A real miracle!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Not only did 17.2, reased this morning to North America, fix the text issue, it's also screamingly fast, especially opening files.

OK, done. NEXT!

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 645 Replies 645
Participant ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I miss our community we built during this past year while Adobe support fixed this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was thinking the same thing a week ago. Crisis bring humans together. But, Adobe, so won't be long.  ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me I would say 17.2 fixed the problem 99%. I have my M1 mini which first showed the issue and just got a Mac Studio and every now and then when editing text it disappears for half a second. It always comes back but it feels like it's not truly fixed and that the fix is to force it to redraw when it vanishes rather than not vanish in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with you. Sometimes it makes strange gray (and other colors too) vector-like marks on the page. They vanish quickly, but seems like something to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glad we found another bug just on time before we all leave this community behind 🙃 I have exactly the same issue (ID 17.2, MacBook Pro M1 Max)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I agree, every now and then it has a probelm rendering a graphic properly, often an .ai file and patterns shoot out across the pages. Turning GPU / CPU on and off fixes it. It's rare but still a redraw problem same as the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to chime in that I've been having the same problem for nearly a year and it's driving me nuts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah, updating to 17.2 fixed the text issue for my wife. She hasn't had it happen once since then, so far.

Have you updated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to 17.2 on my late-2012 iMac (still purrs like a kitten!), but still have not received the total update for my M1 24" iMac. Also - I am noticing that the disappearing text is still happening, tho not as frequently, on several large jobs that I just dump new copy into each month. These jobs were formatted on the old InDesign - probably a 16 or something. I'm assuming that the disappearing text will not happen if I create a job brand new - entirely in 17.2 on my late-2012, or with the Prerelase on my M1? When should I be receiving my M1 update to 17.2? I'm on the east coast. Has it not rolled out here yet? Thanks to all!

Angela B - Maryland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @angelab29126336,

We are sorry to hear that you are still unable to see the v17.2 update on your M1 Mac. I would request you to please try the steps suggested in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-application-recognizing-available.html).

Let us know how it goes.

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe - generally please fix InDesign's multiple faults - especially the text disappearing issue... rather than release new flashy software sort out what most users want - InDesign to actually work properly!! All day every day is too frustrating for words... very unhappy user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user-to-user forum – which version of InDesign and OS do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s 2022 now and I still have this issue with certain files. Working on a brand new MacBook that I was forced to buy after Adobe quit supporting on my golden oldie - which still worked PERFECTLY. Now several issues I never had. Including this one. Replaced all the Type-1 fonts - didn’t help. Damn Adobe, do you have any idea how much time this costs your long paying and loyal customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is still bugging me in version 17.4 of Adobe InDesign. Why hasn't this been fixed already, with practically everybody working on M1 chips in MacBook Pro's now. Text in InDesign is quite.... ESSENTIAL... Why is this taking over a year to fix??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willem. I had the same issue and also text crumbling and pages displaying wrong text. With help from Adobe i removed all adobe files fro my Imac and restarted. After that reinstalled all. So far its almost gone. Only in rare cases i see text crumbling. Maybe worth a try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear developers,

I have the same issue as others in this thread and wanted to install the PreRelease version 17.2, however it didn't show up as an option to choose from. I could only choose 17.3, 17.4 and 18.0. I chose the 17.3 one. Could you tell me whether this will solve the problem too?

Another question: I received a notification that if I installed the PreRelease version, my InDesign wouldn't update anymore. Will this solve itself once newer versions are made public or should I "go back" to the "regular" InDesign version one day? Please help a tech noob out. 

Thanks. 

With kind regards,
Brenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install InDesign 2023 and try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brenda,

currently there is no Prerelease version of InDesign that will work.

It's just the release versions of InDesign 2022 and 2023 you can try.

The new Beta version of 2023 will bring nothing new to the table compared to the latest released one; at least not when it comes to your issue…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Uwe,

Thank you for your quick reply. I do wonder whether this is something that is worked on and resolved fast, because it is nearly undoable to work in InDesign this way. 

Best wishes,

Brenda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still dealing with this issue when copying and pasting, adding pages and changing text on Adboe Acrobat Pro on my dell. Can this bug be fixed already? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines