• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to import existing preferences in InDesign 19 version

Participant ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really bad. I do not have the time to check the preferences with the older version to look what preferences I had and the worse thing is, ALL defined colours are gone... Same is for formats and stuff, I have to do everything from the scratch, this is really really bad!

So please let us use the preferences of the older version as it always worked that way before!

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Hi @ELPrepress ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. We have received similar reports from other users and have logged a bug. Please stay tuned to this discussion for the update on the bug. I'd also request you to share the v18 preferences folder saved at these locations: 

Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [#]
Win: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [#]

Rishabh_Tiwari_1-1697058506056.png

You can add the file to a shared location and share it with us at sharewithID@adobe.com

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Hi all, 

We are able to reproduce the issue in-house with customer-specific preference. We would want to validate if all of you are facing similar issues or not. Hence we would request you to zip your preference for InDesign 18.0 and share it with us at sharewithID@adobe.com

Thanks and Regards

Sanyam Talwar (he/him)

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first time I received this preferences error message, I quit InDesign, and copied my v18 preferences into the v19 folder. When I relaunched InDesign, I got the same preferences error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @atomicvibe:

I didn't have any issues with this myself, but I don't import preferences from one program to the next during the installation, because of the likelyhood of corruption, even without this 2024 bug.

There is another thread that may have information that will help you: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/document-presets-are-missing-in-indesign-19-2024.... You'll need to skip the top half and scroll down to where @Mike Witherell starts talking about his success migrating preferences after the installation. I also posted a link to how I copy my presets from one version to the next.

As I'm thinking about your situation specifically, you might want to fully remove inDesign 2024 with the Adobe CC Cleaner tool (which removes all remnants), and then reinstall it without importing preferences or removing 2023, and then see if perhaps Mike's suggestions work for you.

Otherwise, it's a waiting game to see when Adobe gets this issue resolved.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Barb Binder this is a great find and thank you for sharing! I still have 2024 installed but only using 2023 but I'm going to dive in to Mike's stuff here but looks exactly on point to my speculations. THANKS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@clif_CROP:

I totally think it is worth a shot. @Mike Witherell is very knowledgeable and if it worked for him, it may be the work around that we need to get past this. It would be so helpful if you would report back after you give it a shot. 🤞🏼

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the same thing thinking something glitched. It wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't all the prefrence files that are being rejected, if it was just one particular one that was triggering it. If tis all users then could be the main but but if its only some users then maybe its only users who have created and edited workspaces. Speculating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone:

Happy to share some good news: the first update to InDesign 19.0 is being rolled out regionally (19.0.1).

This first update doesn't fix everything but it's a step in the right direction and it does address this issue with preferences.

InDesign 19.0.1 - Enhanced Stability, User Experience and Performance

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/indesign-19-0-1-enhanced-stability-user-experien...

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a month or so just to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks for the update @Barb Binder 

My region still can't ancess the update but will keep checking for it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone downloaded and happy the preferences bug has been quashed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

installed the update, initially worked and restored my settings.  It said it was importing the settings, then i somehow had two copies of indesign loaded, one with my original restored layouts etc, another without, so closed everything, re-loaded now none of my old restored layouts are there again, and going back to 'migrate' says the usual message but doesn't restore anything, so can only assume everything is lost forever now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, because Adobe has had issues like this before. I always export my preferences (Ps, Ai, Id) and keep a file backed up on my computer just in case. I went through the same thing trying to migrate back and lost everything in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barb Binder, thank you! I updated today and my preferences were imported properly. But in my current working document opened using 19.0.1 with Windows 10, I can't re-select (re-grab) or clear any page guides by any method. If I open a new document, I can move and delete guides correctly. These are guides I've pulled out from the side and top rulers, and there are no guides on any parent pages. I tried saving to .idml, but that didn't fix the problem. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J E L:

I just tried it in 19.0.1 and did not have any issues selecting ruler guides from a file that was saved as an earlier version and opened in 19.

Ruler guides are layer-specific. Could they be could they be on a locked layer?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. No, there are no locked layers in the entire 100+ page document. I will keep investigating. Thank you, Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign Auto-Updated on me, deleted the old version along with all of my preferences. Fantastic! Now I need to take time out of my business to rebuild my workflow.

You would THINK Adobe would test new releases with a subset of actual users BEFORE unleashing a bug like this on us. That's okay, just keep raising your subscription fees. We'll deal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sucks! it looks like the bug isn't fixed?? @Barb Binder 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @paulflong , @mgover77@karloverhere 

Not sure I understand exactly why you are having an issue with the update, as a fellow "I need my decades old preferences files" I get the frustration. 

It took till late this morning for me to see 19.0.1 as an update file. I was a bit uncelar on the notes yesterday about "Migrating preferences" from the meun but this is what I did and it worked perfectly for me. 

I've not been using 2024 InDesign, electing to go back to 2023 version till the fix was out. I still had 2024 installed. When I hit the update, as usual, it just does an update you only get the migrate option when going from 2023 to 2024. So if I had uninstalled 2024, I might have gotten the ask when installing 19.0.1 but basically, 2024 updated and left the prevously reset to default preferences in there. 

The Adobe installs NEVER remove your old preferences. There is the option to remove the old program but you'll find your preferences files are still intact going back several versions. I currently have Versions 7 thorugh 19 still on my Mac. So 10 years still here. 

After installing the new 2024 version, I went here: 

/Users/your user folder/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 18.0

And the en_US folder there, I option + dragged that in to the 19.0 version to make a copy of my 18 perferences in the 19 folder and replaced the folder in the 19 folder. When I launched InDesign, everything was as I expected it to be and no errors regarding my preferenes this time. 

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@clif_CROP:

I'd say that is very helpful. Thanks for sharing your experience. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @paulflong:

I'd say it's too early to tell. The two responses are very different: one is an auto-update issue, the other refers to two copies of the same version open (I've never seen that, have you?). So maybe, but it would be helpful to hear from more people.

The update is available to me today and I updated, and don't see any immediate issues, but I don't migrate preferences anyway. Like you, I back up my presets and manually copy them from one release to the next. (And, like you, I'm still holding off using 19 for any paid work until we get the all clear.)

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mgover77:

I highly recommend disabling auto-updates for your CC Desktop app to keep this from happening. I know it won't help you now—unless you have your hard drive backed up so that you can still access your presets—but it can be helpful moving forward.
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-how-to-disable-auto-updates-for-your-cc-apps/

If you can access your presets, see:
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-how-to-copy-your-presets-after-an-update/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Managed to copy my Workspace over manually, which shows up, so i did a couple of customisations to my layout and savedto a new  Workspace, but now all those changes are gone when i next launch, i can reproduce this every time

• Load Indesign
  • Add something new to a panel
  • Save workspace (just incase, but used to save when you quit)
  • Reload indesign
  • New panel addition is gone

rinse and repeat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karl:

What version of InDesign and what OS?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has this bug been fixed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say yes. Haven't touched it since release. Just a Natalie's Jew 19.2 update yesterday. On first launch. All my prefs, window layouts etc saved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

took a chance and everything updated fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines