• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit in Photoshop sends it to the Photoshop Beta, not 2023. No option to choose.

Explorer ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping for some help here. I am on a PC and have the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. I wanted to download and try the new Photoshop Beta so I downloaded it from the Adobe Creative Cloud and it installed fine. BUT - when I use Lightroom and choose EDIT IN - ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 2023 it opens the BETA version. It does not give me an option to choose WHICH Photoshop version I want to use. Uninstalling the Beta basically kills the ability to send an image from Lightroom Classic to Photoshop at all and the only way to get things back is to uninstall the beta and then uninstall Photoshop CC 2023 THEN reinstall Photoshop. I'd love to play with the beta and be able to choose which version of Photoshop I want to use when sending images from Lightroom Classic.

I've seen some videos where the option to select which version of photoshop you want to use is selectable from a dropdown menu but this was on a Mac and not a PC. Any help is appreciated!
James

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Greetings all, 

The team has responded and it turns out this is a Photoshop bug. Rather than bury it in Photoshop forum we are going to keep this primary thread in the Lightroom Classic forum.  Once the PS team fixes the bug, the Classic team will update the implementation for the Windows instance. 

Thank you for your reports!

Follow this thread for updates as they are available.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
90 Comments
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled both. Installed Beta first. Then LC. Opening Lightroom Preferences, it wasn't there BUT selecting 2024 somehow connected to Beta. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop Beta do you have install? Version 25.0? If yes, go back to version 24.7, in the latest Beta it an known issue in the combination with Lightroom

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverting to the previous version of PS Beta fixed the issue for now. I'm gonna skip the latest until that bug is worked out

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2023 Aug 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see thread has started  on May, 7th, now is August, 5th and still no update which resolve  this bug. I also have it. For me at this moment open PS non-beta before chosing in LR option to edit in PS will be better ten reinstalation. Probably after PS non-beta update it should back to proper work, but after PS beta update it appear again. I am also waiting for Adobe resolve this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a PC, in LR under Edits > Preferences > External Editing: Photoshop 2024 or 2022 are listed as options.  PS 2023 or 2023 beta are no longer listed.  How do I add PS 2023 or PS 2023 Beta as options? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same proble, it started a couple of beta updates ago. It use to work perfectly now its a couple minutes to open it only after getting error message  "The file could not be edited because Adobe Photoshop 2023 could not be launched." I am on a m1 macbbok pro osx ventura 13.2,   LRC 12.4,  PS beta 25.0.0.  Also the only send option that works (if you call waiting 2+ minutes working)  is "Open in Adobe PS beta" the "open as smart oblect" does not work at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverse to V.24.7 solve the problem. You don't need to uninstall the V.25, just install V24.7. 
Hope it can help,

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has worked for me. Have unistalled both programs, re installed to no avail. Then unistalled certain updates to try and find what was working for me before. Again, I can't bridge an image from LRC to PS Beta without an error, I can't even close out PS Beta without going to resource monitor and ending process. Is there any updates for this? It's incredibly frustrating when all you want to do is edit and software is stopping you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Basher_77 

If you have installed Photoshop Beta 25.0 it's a known issue.

P: Lightroom Classic>Edit in PS: Long Delay+Errone... - Adobe Support Community - 13966962

You have to rollback to Beta version 24.7

If the rollback doesn't help, try this:

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Application to uninstall Photoshop (both versions!!). When asked, keep preferences! After this reinstall Photoshop (note the Beta!!) again.

If this doesn't help the next step is to reinstall both apps Lightroom and Photoshop. Please follow the steps below:

1. Open the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Client and uninstall both Photoshop and Lightroom Classic. When asked, keep preferences! 

2. Install Photoshop first and then Lightroom Classic. The right order is very important here!

After the combination LR and PS worked together again, you can try to install the Beta 24.7 (not 25.0 !!!)

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good example of why you don't just install beta software on your production (or only) computer. Betas are released BECAUSE they need testing and they have known bugs. Unfinished software is always "buyer beware."

If a beta is causing problems, the best bet is to remove it and only install on a computer that you can afford to be unreliable or not work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does NOT work. I just spent another 90 minutes again today trying the method of unistalling and reinstalling programs with no success. Now when I bridge an image I get "IOerror: general photoshop error occured. This functionality may not be available in this version of photoshop"
Moving images from LRC to PS works fine, but not PS beta. I can't even open an already saved Tiff in PS beta, get hit with " Could not compelte your request because of a program error". I get this same error code when trying to exit out of PS beta. Can't exit program without using resource monitor and manually ending process. 

Any updates on this? Incredibly frustrating when you need to use generative fill when 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response. Reverting back to PS 2023 Beta 24.7 worked for me. In LR under Preferences, the PS 2023 is a selectable option once again. To get my image into 2023 PS Beta, I just be sure to have the Beta version already open, and it goes in directly.

Best regards,

Edward Smith
Cell: 949.201.8042

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally got PS beta to work. Uninstalled PS beta AND removed preferences, reinstalled beta V24.7 and can now bridge from LRC to PS beta . Every time previously I kept preferences when unistalling and kept getting errors. THANK YOU!

PS V24.6

PS Beta V24.7

LRC V12.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with the recent update of PS Beta. I cannot open any of my LR photos into PS Beta which is what I have been primarily using. I kept getting a popup saying that I needed to update in order to keep using the creative fill feature, but now it's not working.  Seems like a lot of people are having a similar issue with the new update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2023 Aug 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to your Adobe account for the software updates. Go to the Beta section, and ‘download’ version 24.7. It’s a step backwards from the latest version 25.0. That action fixed my issue. Also, if I want to use 2023 vs 2023 Beta, I be sure to launch PS 2023 Beta before I sent the LR image to PS. These steps worked for me, and it appears that you have the same issue. Good luck!

Best regards,

Edward F Smith III
Mobile: <Phone number removed>

[Moderator]

[personal information removed per policy - 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-community-professionals/email-signatures-and-personal-informati...

[This is a public forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2023 Aug 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Basher_77 

Thanks for the info that removing of the preferences has helped.

At my experience it wasn't necessary in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using PS Beta 24.7 worked for a while but now it won't use generative fill unless you update to 25.0. BUT LR Classic won't export to it without the bug identified earlier. Any other workarounds? I love it...but the error and delay is not fun. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pamw57511429  This is the wrong thread for your issue. Please follow this thread instead: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-bugs/p-lightroom-classic-gt-edit-in-ps-long-delay-erro...

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m seeing the same problem. Generative fill no longer works with PS Beta 24.7. It wants me to upgrade to version 25.0.

Best regards,

Edward F Smith III
Mobile: <Mod: Phone number removed>

[Moderator]

[personal information removed per policy - 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/adobe-community-professionals/email-signatures-and-personal-informati...

[This is a public forum, not Adobe support, please do not post personal information]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround just use the Export dialog box with setting as in the screenshot. It will open you image in photoshop or PS beta whichever you choose. Once you finish in PS just close and save as usual. All you have to do is just Right Click on the folder in Lightroom to Sync that image back. or if you select ADD TO CATALOG check box it will do it automatically. A useful temporary workaround
Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 2.48.03 PM.png

.....Suzanne Mathia

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 17, 2023 Aug 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it looks like this has finaly been resolved in the latest Lightroom update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  This is extremely annoying and cumbersome, particularly since all of my actions and plugins are not in the Beta (and I don't want to spend hours installing them, that's assuming they are even compatible).  

This seems like a big oversight on Adobe's part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Edit in' is opening the wrong Photoshop.  I have Ps 2023 and Beta installed.  Prior to installing the Beta, it opened correctly.  Now it keeps opening the Beta, which does not have any of my plugins or actions (and even if they were compatible, it would take hours to export/install/etc.).

How do I fix this?  I have the latest Lr Classic installed, I have the preferences set to open Ps 2023, but that did not change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try closing PS, then open PS 2023. Then when you send a photo to PS from LR, it should open in PS 2023. This is the work around I use.

Sent from Mail<> for Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate