Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: 13.3 synchronization changes collection names

Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

The 13.3 version added thousands of old images that were deleted in the cloud for years. That was easy to clean but took me half a day. The main problem I have now is collection names are being switched by synchronization. Exemple to clarify :

On LrC 13.3 I have a "master collection" called "Shooting 1", inside I have a collection called "Bad" (not keepers) and another one called "Shooting one" (keepers). Same for a second shooting. So my collection tree is LrC is :

* Shooting 1

- Bad (1000)

- Shooting 1 (100)

* Shooting 2

- Bad (2000)

- Shooting 2 (200)

After installation of 13.3 my tree is :

* Shooting 1

- Bad (1000)

- Shooting 2 (100)

* Shooting 2

- Bad (2000)

- Shooting 1 (200)

And it doest that with my full synchronized catalog containing around 60 collections. So when showing files to customer on an iPad, the images collection holds another customers name.... It is the synchronization that changes the name of the collection in LrC 13.3

I have tried to unsynchronize everything down to 0 file on the cloud, but it keeps switching collection names everytime I restart synchronization.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Community Expert , Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

I can reproduce this.

@Rick Spaulding -  bug number LRD-4216993 needs adding to internal notes. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
53 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Victoria Bampton LR Queen  What specific do you mean by "purged the cloud" 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Particularly in  LRWeb, go to avatar > Account Info > Delete Lightroom Library or even just deleting everything form the cloud. There seems to be a trend in the mangled collection reports. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never performed that action. Is that performed from LrC on the computer?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting @DdeGannes. Most reports I've seen have done it from LrWeb, but the same result could be achieved by deleting all the photos from All Synced Photos in Classic. It may just be a red herring. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I see some issues on Lr Web with 9 images added on 6/9/24 which may have come from phone. I will de-select the Auto import to LrM from Photos on iPhone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens after the one deletes the Lightroom Library, will LrC rebuild from the Catalog and image files on the Computer and sync new smart previews from synced Collections and All Synced Photographs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, same problem here. Collection  names are being switched by Lightroom Classic 13.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you delete the Lightroom Library from the cloud, it empties all of your cloud clients (e.g. mobile devices etc). In Classic, it only marks all the photos and collections as unsynced. Then you choose which photos/collections to sync up again from Classic. The warning, of course, is not to wipe the cloud unless you have a copy of all your files locally in Classic, which generally you would, but the warning has to be given anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Victoria Bampton LR Queen , Thanks for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed this is what I did: I deleted the Lightroom Library from the cloud, and it emptied all the cloud clients (e.g. mobile devices etc). In Classic, it marks all the photos and collections as unsynced. Then you choose which photos/collections to sync up again from Classic and do this one by one (takes a long time behind the computer if you have many collections.....), so far so good, fingers crossed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally decided to Delete my Lightroom Library and after the delete concluded a prompt indicating LrC needed to restart I selected to proceed so LrC needed to shutdown. I selected the option to backup the Catalog and that proceeded over half an hour ago, just keeping my fingers crossed that I do not end with a Corrupt Catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update

I had two one hour long support sessions with Adobe support. Lightroom Classic was reinstalled with Adobe Clean Up tool, all my online library was deleted. After this problem remains as it's a server-side. The working way is to rename messed collections on Lightroom Web (not in LrC) and sync new collections one my one. Then I tryed to add two collections at same time, the names was switched again. Time consuming but not ruined your workflow.

So, I hope Adobe is working on issue now as support guys seen it clearly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I finally got a couple of Collections from LrC synced to Lr Mobile, however from  the sync prompts it appears things are in a queue 10 images at a time, with approximately 10,000 to sync it is going to take quite a while.

Since all users of LrC  13.3, Lr Mobile 9.3, Lr Desktop 7.3 have to update their synced images it will be quite a while for this to be sorted out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just an update this morning, reconnections of my Collection Sync is going smoothly one by one, 9 done about 140 more to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing the same kind of collection renaming.  I've reset a couple times trying different things, none of wish worked.

I am now trying just setting one collection name at a time.  This approach is very cumbersome conserding about 100 collections over 40,000  photos.  So far one at a time seems to be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ivan T.  You stated "The working way is to rename messed collections on Lightroom Web (not in LrC) and sync new collections one my one."

Is Lightroom Web an app like LrC and Lr Dektop?

PS. Ok I 

think I got it sorted, thanks for the post/tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannes Lightroom Web is https://lightroom.adobe.com - looks like LR Desktop but accessed via the web without downloading any apps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce this.

@Rick Spaulding -  bug number LRD-4216993 needs adding to internal notes. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm same on MacOS 14.5, LrC 13.3.3.  Had several collections of vacation spots, named "California 2023, Denver 2022" etc.  All had been fine in LrC and in LR (previously synced, with older version LrC) until I added new collection of recent trip this week. 

Decided to purge synced photos and resync all after a few renames of some collections. 

Purged synced via lightroom.adobe.com/u/my name  -- account info - delete LR library. 

Open LrC, it says it must restart.  Catalog backup never completes so I must force quit.  Open LrC and close again, this time catalog backs up fine.

Open LrC, names of collections swapped. 

I renamed as needed. 

Did this 3 times before looking here.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I have finally got all of my collections sorted out, it was quite a "Rodeo" ride as I got humped of the bull's back several times.

Finally, I eventually ended up with three Collections that were showing that the images were Synced to Creative Cloud but the Lr Mobile on Album showed zero images synced.

I then decided to go to the Collections, one at a time, in LrC selected all images went to Library and created a new collection with a different name. Checked that the new collection was synced with the images all showing. Next when that was completed I proceeded to delete the original collection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got my collections to behave by doing the following:

1 - in lightroom web (https://lightroom.adobe.com/u/my name ) in account info I deleted entire library (again)

2 - Opened LrC and then closed (it said it needed to restart due to no library in cloud)  had to force quit since backing up catalog was hung (I could have chosen not to back up)

3 - Opened LrC and then saw 0 images in the synced category

4 - renamed all my collections to numbers (1-24).  

5 - set them to sync (7500 images)

6 - on a 1GB wired connection, they upload at ~ 20 smart previews/minute

7 - left LrC open (obviously) but did not do anyhting other than look. 

8 - on LR web, saw that they were getting renamed to differnt numbers (e.g 1 became 6, 3 became 15, etc).  Images themselves were fine

9 - moment of truth - renamed fhe first complete one to it's real name (e.g. 3 = Lens Test)

10 - Looked a bit later on LrC and 3 was now "Lens Test" and the correct images were in it

11 - After all synced and all renamed, spot checked.  All was fine. 

12 - Closed LrC, saved catalog, opened again.  All still fine as far as I can see. Also fine on LR iOS.

(I had not signed out on iOS LR. )

Conclusion - LrC 13.3.x on Mac OS scrambles collection names - unfixable if only using/correcting with LrC.  Must use Web to rename and then all is well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2024 Jun 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Lightroom Classic 13.3.1 on macOS 14.5 (Sonoma).

Recently I noticed, that pictures in an album on the lightroom cloud did not correspond to the album name. I checked in lightroom classic an noticed, that it affected several albums and webgaleries. I didn't change anything in those albums for quite a while, so I was a little irritated. Nevertheless I started renaming my albums and galleries to their corresponding names. While doing this I noticed, that lightroom began to rename the albums I have just renamed. To clearifiy the renaming problem: albums names get switched. So the albums are all there, but the photos once again do not correspond with the photos.

To stop this mess I had to turn off syncing of those albums and webgalleries. I hoped turning off syncing, renaming all albums / webgalleries and turning syncing back on would do the trick. Unfortunately, many of the albums are getting mixed up again. It seems to be a serious bug in the new sync engine which makes syncing and publishing albums unusuable for me.

Is someone else is having this issure too?

[moving from bugs to discussions according to the community rules - Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has acknowledged this bug with syncing collections in LR 13.3:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lightroom-classic-13-3-synchronization-chang...

I think the only workaround posted so far is to clear out all the photos in the cloud and resync from LR Classic -- but you have to be very careful doing that. See that thread for more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate