• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Metadata issues with video files on M1 Macs

LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I noticed Lightroom Classic was displaying incorrect metadata for recent imported videos (taken with iPhone X). My older videos have correct metadata, so what changed? Appears to be an issue specific to M1 Macs.

Here is what I found...

On M1 Mac Mini:

1. Get info in Finder for MOV files shows the expected metadata. Created date/time is correct, and other details such as latitude longitude are displayed.

2. When I import these files into Lightroom, the metadata for capture date/time is incorrect. Lightroom displays the date/time the video was imported into Lightroom for capture date/time, which is clearly not when the video was captured. The GPS box is blank and no camera info is displayed.

On Intel Mac:

My Lightroom catalog and masters are on an external drive, so I connected to an Intel MacBook. I imported the exact same MOV file. This time, Lightroom displays the correct capture date/time (matches the created date/time as seen in Finder). The GPS box pulls in correct location coordinates and camera model displays iPhone X.

Adobe, can you please address this in your next Lightroom Classic release?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released today and contain a fix for this issue. Please install the update via your Creative Cloud Desktop App or your respective App Store. 

Note: 

You may need to refresh the Creative Cloud App for desktop software to show an update available.  ([Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+ [ R ])

For Mobile downloads, it may take several days for the update to appear in your respective App Stores.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 106 Replies 106
106 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: Additionally iPhone Video previews don't show the right orientation. Something that wasn't an issue in LrC 10.4 either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this with an Apple Silicon (M1) Mac? There's a known issue with LR on those Macs reading video metadata (including the orientation):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-metadata-issues-with-video-files-on-m1-macs/...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 🙂

I would appreciate if this issue could be prioritized because it messes up workflows quite a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the new system is a M1 Mac.

Thank you for the link, I was about to downgrade to LrC 10.4. According to the other thread the problem already existed in LrC 10.4 on M1 machines...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Lightroom 11.1, macOS 12.1, MacBook Pro M1 Max

Videos that I've taken in portrait orientation on my iPhone 11 Pro Max are showing the correct orientation in the Library grid view, but when I go to the Loupe view to play the video, it is rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise, and is played in this landscape orientation.  Looking back a few years, I see the same behavior for videos from older iPhones as well.  This happens with live videos as well as regular videos from the iPhone.  Photos taken with the live video are displayed properly in both the grid view and the loupe view.

In Finder, the video plays in the proper portrait orientation.

I can not say for sure at what Lightroom version the videos stopped playing properly, but I believe they played properly in Lightroom 10.4 on my old Intel based MacBook running macOS Catalina.

Below are a screen shots in Library Grid and Loupe views to illustrate the problem.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 2.09.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-01-01 at 2.09.26 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that portrait videos are played in landscape mode in Lightroom Classic.
Does this happen only with videos shot in portrait mode? Have you tried importing and playing a video shot in landscape mode and see if it plays in correct orientation?

Could you try resetting Lightroom's preferences and see if that helps? https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2022 Jan 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned in my post, I am running macOS 12.1 (Monterey).  Landscape videos display thumbnails and play in Loupe view properly.

I have tried resetting preferences, and that makes no difference - portrait iPhone videos still play in landscape orientation.

Thanks!

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has acknowledged a bug with LR on M1 Macs not reading video metadata (including orientation):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-metadata-issues-with-video-files-on-m1-macs/...

I'm not aware of any workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Here's the link to the issue from Adobe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/nz/lightroom-classic/kb/known-issues.html

I'm having the same video metadata issues using:

Lightroom 10.4 on

Mac M1 Pro running 

Monterery 12.0.1

Dissapointing that this fundamental issue is not fixed. 

Does anyone have any workarounds?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing similar problems and, for me, they are a show-stopper bug.   By that I mean I cannot use LR at all for this project until this bug is fixed.  I need LR to import date and orientation metadata properly, because otherwise I cannot organise – or even view – my videos properly.   I've tested some of the suggested workarounds and managed to get the capture date set correctly (with great effort).  But short of re-rendering all the video files, I cannot fix the orientation bug.

-- David Kotz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2022 Jan 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same situation here... Seems to affect video metadata in general. My videos from my Canon EOS R6 have the same problem. When will this be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having same issue. 

Version of the app: Lightroom Classic 11.1 (Camera RAW 14.1)
Platform and OS version: MacOS Monterey 12.1

Video file from : iPhone 12 pro max, sony a7vi.  

It is solid, but I cannot find the solution in this site. Isn't it known issue...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a known bug on M1 Macs -- LR doesn't read video metadata correctly. No workaround has been posted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @johnrellis,

Thank you for sharing it!! I'll vote to the link and post a comment. Hope this issue will be fixed soon!!

Thanks,

Satoshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Everything was fine with my old Intel Mac with EOS R5, R6, and others, but started seeing the issue when I replaces to a M1 Mac. I really hope this issue will be fixed soon. Thanks!!
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/missing-exif-data-for-videos-in-lightro...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been dealing with the issue lately too. Why did it take nearly 4 months to even acknowledge this significant bug and is six months (and counting) really acceptable for fixing a bug of this nature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earth,

The bug was written on Aug 21 - In November the bug was paired with this thread.  In between there was a massive forum migration from the feedback.photoshop.com to community.adobe.com forum that clouds the picture. 

In any case, this issue is fixed in the upcoming release. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released today and contain a fix for this issue. Please install the update via your Creative Cloud Desktop App or your respective App Store. 

Note: 

You may need to refresh the Creative Cloud App for desktop software to show an update available.  ([Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+ [ R ])

For Mobile downloads, it may take several days for the update to appear in your respective App Stores.

Thank you for your patience. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Rikk Flohr: Photography , 
Thank you so much for releasing the fix. It worked!!
I need to remove and reload video files to LR to see Exif data, but it's much better than nothing.
Thanks,
Satoshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me as well.

thanks a lot!

Andi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info, @Rikk Flohr: Photography but the issue is still present in v11.2.
Imported video files show an incorrect capture time when compared in the Finder. Previously it was the time when imported into Lr, and now it's just random variations depending on file type. 
And i need to test, but it looks as if Classic may even be re-writting the capture time metadata on imported .heic files. Even though the .heic files are showing the correct time in Lr, the Finder is displaying the time when imported to Classic.

This is a massive mess right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It also appears now that Classic is unable to sort correctly by Capture Time if file types are not the same. I have a folder of heic, mov, and jpg and when i sort by Capture, the images are not in the correct order, with the jpgs being out of order.

Votes

Translate

Translate