Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slow UI when using Mac and Custom Display Profile

Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since upgrading to Lightroom Classic v10.0, all UI-related functionality is painfully slow. All editing functions are working correctly and quickly but scrolling through the catalogue or even scrolling a side panel is taking many long seconds to refresh. Unreasonably long.

Disabling GPU Accellaration has no affect on my Lightroom's performance.

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3

AMD FirePro D700 6 GB

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Please go to Help>System Info… and get us the exact installed version number of your software.

If it's 10.0 or 10.1, please review the diagnostic step in this post to see if this is the issue you are facing: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-mac-user-interface-slow-after-upgrading/5f91bbf7917fbb3a9935742e?commentId=5fa06f1e72a09d24e1c2b700 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Greetings All,

Update: 3/15/2021

Updates to Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your continued patience.

This thread is tracking issues related to a small group of customers who are seeing issues with very slow UI speed in Lightroom Classic 1

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 1001 Replies 1001
1,001 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Patrice Bellot the problem now appears to be limited to publish services (the other bits are massively improved) and switching back to sRGB does appear to be the fix again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, all bets are off when running unsupported configs.  Can you replicate the issue on a non-hacked system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barrie Spence 

Can you elaborate on the Publish Services issue?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Exactly the same behaviour as we saw in the library grid view before - unresponsive, laggy scrolling, etc. 

It's wonderful in folders and collections, just not fixed in publish services. 

Fine with sRGB screen profile, useless with the custom profile ... as before.

I'll record it if it helps - let me know if you want that linked here or elsewhere... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And an update - I discovered that sometime in the past I must have set standard previews to 2880 instead of Auto.  I plan to rebuild them all overnight and see if that helps.  There goes the free space on the drive 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing it on my machine that had the issue previously.  I am hoping someone with a robust set of Publish Services can give me a second opinion.

If you go to Publish Services and just sit for 5 minutes is the scroll any better? Worse? 

And, yes, as always videos of the issue are great. We may want to start a new thread for this as it seems outside of the prevailing experience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I go slightly off topic and take a poll as to where to find the definitive list of steps to take to optimize one's catalog for best performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty hefty set of Publish services and am not experiencing any issue.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked the Lightroom Queen website? Her articles persist and are updated whereas burying technical info in  forum threads works poorly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Did you try the sit for 5 minutes I suggested? What happened? 

Have you tried a monitor recalibration to see if a new profile exhibits the same slowness as the Cal1 profile in your video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In any case, lets start a new thread and include the video link above in that first post. It will be a lot easier for the engineer to not have to muddle through 15 pages of comments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk I'll start a new thread as requested.

yes, I re-profiled the screen earlier this afternoon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available."

How can i "refresh" my Creative Cloud application ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks !! I'm going to try it !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to chime in, reporting that everything is back to where it should be for my use with LrC 10.2. Thanks for fixing this Adobe - even though it took ages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC 10.2 works fine on my system (in all modules). Tested with an updated catalog of ±8500 images. Seems to be even faster than 9.4.

MacPro 6,1 - macOS 10.14.6 - 32 Gb RAM - AMD FirePro D300 2 Gb

Eizo ColorEdge CG243 W - Custom monitor profile from Color Navigator 6

'Use GPU for Display' and 'Use GPU for Image Processing' turned ON.

Thanks Adobe for the fix. Let’s hope it holds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk 

I'm looking for this post, it doesn't show up in the thread when clicking on "View on Community" button in email notification (received today):

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-slow-ui-when-using-...

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@FCbee  It is working for me. What happens when you click the link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk 

It goes to this thread (page 15) but to the top of the page (header), not to the post that I can't find.

I made a search in this web page with the name (joao_ferrand) and in the Search Community field, but with no avail.

Screen1-f5039466-939a-4271-a927-57ec61fcf0a6-1580230112.png

Screen2-e936a7f3-826a-4efb-85cb-c180553193fa-1581153633.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I’m sorry, I was too optimist, my post was inaccurate and I decided to remove it thinking no one has saw.

I was wrong… sorry.

After 30 minutes editing on the same catalog the problem came back.

It’s painful, after a few minutes editing I need to restart Lr to make it work for a few minutes more.

Hope a fix is coming very soon!

My post was:

Just to share my experience:

iMac Pro (2017)

2,3 GHz 18-Core Intel Xeon W

64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB

Lr Classic 10.2

(Mac OS Catalina)

A few days ago I was working on catalog whit 35.000+ images and the UI started to lag;

If I close Lr or restart the iMac, at the beginning it worked normal for some minutes, and then started lagging again to a point that was impossible to work

I also noted that the finder and other apps were also afected.

I checked the processes and memory on Activity Monitor and iStat and found nothing unusual.

Then I read something about the monitors profile in this forum and decided to recalibrate my displays that where outdated for 2 days.

After updating the monitor profiles everything went back to normal.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks, no problem. I just wanted to ask you something about the update of your monitor profile but now it doesn't matter. Sorry that it's not working for you.

It sounds like there is maybe something else that was not adressed in the LrC update. But as far as I'm concerned, it's working good so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

General Mac issues may sometimes be solved by running Onyx, something you should do regularly, and it doesn't hurt! Also checking your directory damage with Disk Utility (Alsoft is working on a version of Disk Warrior for APFS volumes).

Try Onyx to rule out a corrupt cache or application state, instructions below (I was a Mac IT pro for 25 years). I've fixed app issues hundreds of times with it! Download the free Onyx (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html), select the Onyx version FOR YOUR OS, download, run it, reboot.

In Onyx run almost everything in the Maintenance tab, deselecting things you may not want deleted, like Launch Services. Hit the "Options" button across from "Internet" and check/deselect more stuff like Cookies & Other Site Data, Browser History, Form Values, (which are OFF by default), but make any other choices you want to keep. Don’t know what something is? Google it, or ask me, or don’t run it, then hit Run Tasks. After it's done it will ask for a reboot. You will see you've gained some hard drive space.

Also try to fix any directory damage by running Disk First Aid from Disk Utility: boot into Recovery Mode, (hold down Command-R when booting). When you're in Recovery Mode go to the Utilities menu and launch Disk Utility, select Macintosh HD (or whatever), and say Repair Disk. When done go to Apple Menu for Startup disk and restart normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

I never tested OnyX before but probably will give it a try.

I’ll let you know if I need some help.

Votes

Translate

Translate