• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: White Balance - As Shot added as a History step automatically when using Embedded Previews

Participant ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange behaviour in the latest release of LR Classic 13.3 (Win). I've imported a shoot and used the embedded previews as I always do.

As I move through the filmstrip in develop every time I click on an image that still has the embedded preview icon showing LR is adding a new White Balance - As Shot to the history for the image. If I undo this step so the history is empty switch to another image and then back again LR doesn't add the WB setting again.

It seems it only happens to images using the embedded preview the first time they are opened in Develop.

It's very annoying as I can no longer use the unedited filter to see if there's any images in my final selection that haven't been edited.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

As usual, great job of sleuthing this out @GoldingD and @johnrellis and @Ian Lyons 

I've logged it as a bug.

I was able to reproduce it on my Macbook Pro as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 114 Replies 114
114 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the same test on my Mac Studio M2 Max (macOS 14.5): created a new catalog and imported 145 raw files ("Embedded & Sidecar", no presets applied and there are no xmp sidecar files): 102 photo's have the "White Balance: As Shot" history step, 43 not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All photo's that receive the "White Balance: As Shot" history step when importing display wrong (different white balance) in the before view. No editing was done and the "White Balance: As Shot" step added by LrC on import did not change the white balance. The temp and tint never changes in the develop pannel.
All settings, including white balance and the profile (Adobe Color), are the same when you click on the Import step in the History) or if you click on the "White Balance: As Shot" history step. If I reset the develop settings (this is now the 3rd step in the History) nothing changes as expected but the before view has different colors (different WB) compared to the resetted photo.

And very strange: 2 photo's from the same camera, shot one after the other: one has the problem, the other one is OK (has one step in the history and the view after importing is the same as the before view).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that images using the Embedded/Sidecar preview even without any edits at all will show a change when switched to before view. If an image is opened in Develop has no edits whatsoever how can it possibly be showing a difference between before and after?!?

Tested on Windows 11, all drivers up-to-date with a .CR3 from a Canon R6mkII

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While a critical bug fix has been released, LrC v13.3.1, the fixes listed does not include this one. But it appears that Adobe is now treating this as a bug (one of the 2 links was a bug, then a discussion, and now a bug again). But you may want, and probably should update and see if the issue goes away (I suspect not)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ian Lyons: "Note that I cannot reproduce on Mac. Therefore, issue may be Windows only."

I tested my bug recipe on Mac 14.4.1 / LR 13.3, where it failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Patrick Maes, "About step 2 (Set Preferences > Presets > Raw Defaults > Global to Camera Settings.): choosing "Adobe Default" there also results in the unnecessary "White Balance: As Shot" history step. ... In my case (tried several times): not all new imported photos (Embedded & Sidecar import) have this "White Balance: As Shot" step."

Yeah, as I wrote above, in my configuration the bug occurred with both Adobe Default and Camera Settings, though it was intermittent with Adobe Default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual, great job of sleuthing this out @GoldingD and @johnrellis and @Ian Lyons 

I've logged it as a bug.

I was able to reproduce it on my Macbook Pro as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little more testing and I've discovered that the WB step is only added when you select the next image in the filmstrip, eg.
If you've got 10 images and start on 1 and then click on 2 WB will be added.
If you then go back to 1 and click on 3 WB won't be added.
Now if you click 4 it also won't have WB added
Continue to 5 and suddenly the WB is back.
Note that this has to be done in Develop and all images need to be using embedded/side car previews.

Every now and then the above fails which I think is somehow timing related and I suspect the bug was introduced with the "Enhanced responsiveness and improved navigation experience in the Develop module." of 13.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now realize that an issue I experienced when upgrading my v13 catalogs to v13.3 may also be related to this.
Several photos suddenly receive an additional history step "Multiple Settings". That step does not change the develop settings, but when I do a before view the white balance of the before view has visually changed!?!

This is the same phenomenon we see with the imported photos that are given the "White Balance: As Shot" step out of the blue.

I have not adjusted the white balance myself. Before the upgrade, the white balance was the same in the before and after view.

The white balance of the after view after the upgrade is the same as the white balance of the before and after views before the upgrade. That was expected because no WB adjustment was made by the user.
The white balance of the before view after the upgrade is different from the white balance of the before and after views before the upgrade and the after view after the upgrade. That was not expected.

I mention it here because it might ring a bell among the developers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Patrick Maes 

After updating my catalog to v13.3, I too experienced the addition of the "Multiple Settings" step to newly imported photos. That was during the first session after updating the catalog. In subsequent sessions (after exiting and reopening LR), I've been getting the "White Balance: As Shot" step for newly imported photos (like other folks in this thread have reported).

In my case/observations, it seems like the first and last photos in the imported batch do not get the WB step added but all the photos in between do. The Before view also shows a different WB than the After view as you've reported.

Hope this bug gets squashed soon - having to manually reset every photo is getting rather tedious. If I don't reset, then every RAW file I view appears to be "edited".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is still there in 13.3.1 using Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have had this problem for a while now, and the problem is that my before and after looks different after importing (raw) them to lightroom classic.

Before is colder and looks better than after and I have not done anything for the photo, reset does not help. 

I have iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour,

J'ai depuis peu un nouveau réglage dont je veux me débarasser. Quand je clique sur une photo dans le module Développement, celle-ci se voit appliquer une modification de balance des blancs ("Tel quelle").

Comment désactiver ce pré-réglage ?

Le fait est que cette photo est défini comme comportant des modifications dans ma bibliothèque dynamique et je retrouve des photos non retouchées dans ce dossier simplement parce-que j'ai cliqué sur une photo au hasard dans le module développement.

Merci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this problem started with version 13.3, see the bug report "P: White Balance - As Shot added as a History step automatically when using Embedded Previews". The problem also occurs (on my 2 macOS computers) after upgrading from a version 13 to a version 13.3 catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to have just appeared within the last few updates. I'll import a few hundred images and all of them have the White balance: As shot develope setting applied. I haven't changed anything in my preferences and cannot find where this is turned on. The problem is I cannot filter on un-edited images. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As shot" is not a preset. It simply means that the color balance has not been adjusted.

So if you are seeing "As Shot", perhaps the problem is that a preset that you used to apply (which had color balance changes) is not being applied any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your camera defaults. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/raw-defaults.html

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this problem started with version 13.3, see the bug report "P: White Balance - As Shot added as a History step automatically when using Embedded Previews". The problem also occurs (on my 2 macOS computers) after upgrading from a version 13 to a version 13.3 catalog.

By @Patrick Maes

That bug only adds a bogus history step. It does not change the image because the initial white balance is always 'as shot'.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jiidee, in the History panel, do you see "White Balance: As Shot" right above the Import step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of people in the bug thread report seeing the white balance change as they toggle Before/After: 

By @johnrellis

I see. So perhaps the Before shows the embedded preview...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears from other posts regarding this, that it's a bug in the latest version with embedded previews. I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Thank you for your reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is "as shot".

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not in the camera, this started to happen after latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this started after the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate