• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: White Balance - As Shot added as a History step automatically when using Embedded Previews

Participant ,
May 23, 2024 May 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange behaviour in the latest release of LR Classic 13.3 (Win). I've imported a shoot and used the embedded previews as I always do.

As I move through the filmstrip in develop every time I click on an image that still has the embedded preview icon showing LR is adding a new White Balance - As Shot to the history for the image. If I undo this step so the history is empty switch to another image and then back again LR doesn't add the WB setting again.

It seems it only happens to images using the embedded preview the first time they are opened in Develop.

It's very annoying as I can no longer use the unedited filter to see if there's any images in my final selection that haven't been edited.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

As usual, great job of sleuthing this out @GoldingD and @johnrellis and @Ian Lyons 

I've logged it as a bug.

I was able to reproduce it on my Macbook Pro as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 121 Replies 121
121 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2024 Jun 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import the photo's, the build previews are indeed set to Embedded & Sidecar. Let me try to import a batch without this setting and see if it changes anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This fixes the issue. I set the build previews to standard when Importing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[moved from bugs to discussions according to the community rules - Mod.]

Ok, a question for members that have used "embedded and sidecar" profiles, in the past, prior to LrC v13.3

Is this the normal behavior? Is this as designed?

I do not use embedded previews, so I have no first hand knowledge of that.

Point is to argue or not argue that this is a bug, not a as designed behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's new behaviour in 13.3 and is very easy for anyone to check - just import a few images into a new catalog and test.

I originally submitted my post as a bug but it was moved to discussion for some unknown reason. The idea of trying to get somewhere with Adobe support leaves me cold. The first time I reported a bug it took 3 years to be fixed. The second was acknowledged as a bug almost a year ago. The support process is geared entirely around the assumption that anything not working is user error. The last bug I reported it took 3 months of calls before I finally spoke to someone who a) knew what they were talking about and b) escalated it to the right people. It got to the point where I even tried to purchase a business support plan, I couldn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Appears to be repeatable
  • Appears to be new behavior
  • Is not desired behavior
  • Has a workaround
  • Just showed up with new LrC version
  • Does not show up in "What is New" (linked below as REF 1)  documentation as a new feature (or am I wrong?)
  • Yes, it is more of an annoyance then a work stopping issue, but still wrong

also

• Do not confuse what occurs by design, by default in the Basic Panel, with what is occurring in the History panel.
  • The "As Shot" in the Basic Panel is not the issue
  • The A"s Shot" in the History Panel as a History State is the issue.
  • And appears to meet (REF2) as a bug

So, why is this not a bug?

REF 1: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/whats-new.html

REF 2: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-do-i-post-in-discussions-or-bugs/idi-p/13691...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue.  I don't think it has anything to do with building previews, at least for me.  I'm running LRC 13.3 on a 2022 mac studio running macOS 14.5.  I have a fresh import that has had more than enough time to build previews while I'm reading this thread.  Still, after import when I go to the develop mode and right arrow to move to the next picture, LR applies WB to the image and adds it to history.

This makes it impossible for me to hit the \ key and compare my edits to the imported image.  I cannot say when this started happening, but I know that it has not always done this.

This does seem like a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another note, which I believes confirms that this is a bug, here is what I see:

1.  Import DNG files.  (I never shoot jpg, so my experience is DNG out of camera).

2.  Wait for progress bars to complete.

3.  Move from Library to Develop mode.

4.  Hit right arrow or select next photo.  History will initially show "Import (DTTM)".  Then it will add "White balance: As Shot".

5.  Toggle the '\' key between the 'current' and 'before' view, you will see the white balance change.

6.  Go to history, select 'Import', right click on it and select 'Clear History Above this Step'.  The 'White Balance: As Shot' history step goes away, but the white balance of the photo is not changed.

7.  Toggle the '\' key and you still see the WB change when switching between 'current' and 'before' views.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Import with "Embedded & Sidecar" and no presets applied generates a history step "White Balance: As Shot".  I've tried this with an existing catalog and a new one. No difference. This did not happen before LrC 13.3.

When upgrading v 13 catalogs to 13.3 I get "Multiple Settings" at the top in the history of some photos. This probably has nothing to do with this and is a for a different topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola! Tengo un problema. Cuando estoy en Revelar, por editar una fotografía, solo con hacerle clic, para verla, me marca (la foto tiene ajustes de revelado). Lo cual, después cuando quiero exportar las fotografías que edité, me las marca con ajustes de revelado a las que NO EDITE (pero si le hice clic).
No se lo que es que me esta como editando la foto al hacerle solo un clic, si es la corrección de lente automática o que será?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, 

I am facing a problem here and I don't know if is a bug or something changed to my Lr and I don't know how to fix it.  So, when I import files and I am in Develop mode, when I click an image, after 2 seconds it shows down to the righ corner of image "Photo has Develop adjustments" and the thing is at the image has no edit. I mean I have not done any edit, just a click to image. 

Any ideas?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please shae a pair of screenshots

1. The develop panel, with an image selects that is having this issue, The entire screen, make sure the History Panel is visible, make sure the Histogram is visible, make sure the filmstrip is visible.

2. /preferences/presets/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Than you for fast response, I hope it helpsScreenshot 2024-06-04 015122.pngScreenshot 2024-06-04 015203.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to help out at Reddit, and had come across the thread that I'm linking below, which is the same problem as this thread here at the Adobe Community. I'm not the OP for the reddit thread, but feel that it needs to be added to this community thread. I came across this community thread while googling for a solution to the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lightroom/comments/1d6rwdv/comment/l6umnmn/?context=3 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If XMP metadata has been added, when you load it it will be in an edited state, so it should show as edited.
A thread about this issue was created after the release of 13.3, so it's possible that the specifications have changed or there's a bug that causes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

I also observe the spurious "White Balance: As Shot" history step added to the History of newly imported photos. To reproduce on LR 13.3 / Mac OS:

1. Download and unzip this catalog and open it in LR 13.3:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/239yaya1g9lu2cc8n9oxy/white-balance-bug-13-3.2024.06.03.zip?rlkey=q5e... 

2. Set Preferences > Presets > Raw Defaults > Global to Camera Settings.

3. In the Folders panel, expand the folder "white-balance-bug-13-3", right-click the subfolder "photos", and do Synchronize Folder, with Show Import Dialog Before Importing checked and the other options unchecked.

4. Set Import > File Handling > Build Previews to Embedded & Sidecar and do Import.

5. Open the first photo in Develop and observe a spurious (incorrect) "White Balance: As Shot" in History:

johnrellis_0-1717479350263.png

6. In the filmstrip, click on each of the other three photos in turn and observe the same spurious History step.

7. Repeat steps 1 - 6 in LR 13.2 using this catalog, which has the same photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yf1qswnbhml1o7957x958/white-balance-bug-13.2024.06.03.zip?rlkey=22ov8...

8. Observe that no spurious "White Balance: As Shot" is added to the History for the photos.

The bug also usually occurs in LR 13.3 with Raw Defaults > Global set to Adobe Defaults, though it was intermittent in my configuration, suggesting a race condition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography@Rick Spaulding -, please consider moving to Bugs.  See my previous reply for a precise bug recipe demonstrating the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ShootingPixelsAndy: "The idea of trying to get somewhere with Adobe support leaves me cold. "

Adobe Support is hit or miss, more miss than hit for anything that's not the most mundane, scripted issue. The most reliable method of submitting a bug report is right here in the forum. Bug reports are moved to Discussions until an Adobe employee verifies that it is reproducible, at which point they submit an internal bug report linked to the public one here and move the report into the Bugs section. This ensures the Bug section contains verified and acknowledged bugs only (a good thing). 

Bug reports are more likely to be verified quicker if you submit a precise step-by-step bug recipe with sample files, as I've done above. This makes it much easier for the responsible Adobe employee to reproduce the problem. (Without sample files and catalogs, often the employee can't reproduce the issue due to some unknown difference in photos and catalogs used for testing.)

Once a bug has been verified by Adobe, generally they go radio silent until/if it is fixed. Sometimes an engineer will come back to ask clarifying questions. They rarely indicate when it might be fixed, but once a new release comes out fixing it, they'll post here updating the status. 

See here for further information about the Bug process:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-do-i-post-in-discussions-or-bugs/idi-p/13691...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About step 2 (Set Preferences > Presets > Raw Defaults > Global to Camera Settings.): choosing "Adobe Default" there also results in the unnecessary "White Balance: As Shot" history step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About step 5 (Open the first photo in Develop and observe a spurious (incorrect) "White Balance: As Shot" in History):

In my case (tried several times): not all new imported photos (Embedded & Sidecar import) have this "White Balance: As Shot" step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis 

I've moved the thread to the Bugs forum.

Note that I cannot reproduce on Mac. Therefore, issue may be Windows only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac (macOS 14.5) -  Macbook Pro 16 inch, M1 Pro, 32 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it must be a bug. Let's hope they fix it soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, the embedded and sidecar files were checked.  Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate