Exit

DeNoise works on Samsung S22 DNGs, but not on Samsung S23 DNGs

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 12.3

Windows 11

NVidia GeForce GTX 1650 (driver version 531.61) (Also doesn't work with driver 528.49)

I have a number of DNGs shot on my Samsung Galaxy S23, and others DNGs shot on my Samsung Galaxy S22. The DeNoise feature works on the S22 DNGs, but I can't use it on the S23 DNGs as the DeNoise button never becomes active. I am thinking there may be a camera setting that may influence this, or somehow this is a bug in Adobe DeNoise, or somehow Samsung has changed their DNGs with the S23. I don't really have a clue how to figure this out. Any explanation or suggestions?

DeNoise works properly on NEF files from my Nikon cameras

I have placed two sample DNGs on Dropbox.

S22: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uxg6d93if5gav0/S22_20220705_184931%20%281%29.dng?dl=0

S23: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5rcdt13jz8s4gv/S23_0230423_174343.dng?dl=0

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Did you take that sample with Samsung's Expert Raw app or LR Mobile's camera?  

I can't download your samples (they've been deleted), but this Samsung article says that Expert Raw app saves "raw" photos in linear DNG format (i.e. demosaiced):

https://www.samsung.com/latin_en/support/mobile-devices/professional-photography-with-galaxy-expert-raw-app/

Denoise can't handle linear-DNG photos (but maybe well in the future).

You can easily see if your DNGs are linear: In Library, select a DNG and look

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can confirm the S23 can't be processed. 

error.png

This DNG came from the camera directly right? 

Since it is a DNG that can be opened in Adobe Camera Raw/LR, my first guess is it wasn't properly following DNG spec. But we need an Adobe engineer to download it and look it over. 

I'm on a Mac FWIW. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @TheDigitalDog 

Yes, straight from the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if a DNG can be converted again to DNG? The standalone didn't accept it but maybe LR can? I didn't try and trashed it, maybe you can?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you take that sample with Samsung's Expert Raw app or LR Mobile's camera?  

I can't download your samples (they've been deleted), but this Samsung article says that Expert Raw app saves "raw" photos in linear DNG format (i.e. demosaiced):

https://www.samsung.com/latin_en/support/mobile-devices/professional-photography-with-galaxy-expert-...

Denoise can't handle linear-DNG photos (but maybe well in the future).

You can easily see if your DNGs are linear: In Library, select a DNG and look at the Metadata > DNG panel's Mosaic Data field:

johnrellis_0-1682303107186.png

If Mosaic Data is No, then the DNG is linear. 

I assume that LR Mobile's camera saves raw DNGs (with mosaic data), as it does on iPhones, but I don't know for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, John that's good information. I deleted the files as I don't have a lot of free space left on my Dropbox (free) account, I can put them back if anyone is interested. When I first got the camera, I took detailed notes about which photos were "regular raw" and which are "Expert Raw", to see if I could detect a quality difference between the two. Looking back they BOTH indicate Mosaic Data=NO. So I guess that settles the matter now. I just now tried to take photos with the Lr mobile app, and the DNGs are mosaiced (not linear) and Denoise works, so from now on I guess I will use the Lr mobile app if I am taking high ISO photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Google Cam mod app. It's more limited but faster than LR and the DNGs have more detail - also they save with mosaic data.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/working-gcam-for-s23-ultra.4550019/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using the Google Cam mod app. It's more limited but faster than LR and the DNGs have more detail - also they save with mosaic data.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/working-gcam-for-s23-ultra.4550019/

By @ArtOfK

I downloaded and tried 4 different .apk files, the first three had bugs and I couldn't even take a single photo. The fourth one allowed me to take photos, but it required Google Photos for me to view the DNG image. I downloaded and installed Google Photos (even though I am reluctant to use it as I don't want another photo manager on my cell phone, Lr Mobile does a fine job at managing my photos on the cell phone IMHO), and then another error appeared and Google Photos could not display my DNG image. So they have all been uninstalled, and I consider your claims about the software completely unverified.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you still shoot uncompressed RAW with S22 Ultra, that works with LR Denoise AI?

I also have some files from December last year that can be denoised, bur all the files I recently shot in Pro mode, are linear DNG using JPG compression, the same as the files shot with Expert RAW.

Except that Expert RAW file have more bits per sample, due to HDR. Unless I'm missing something, it looks that we lost the ability to have truly uncompressed RAW in Pro mode.

BTW, LR mobile can still shoot 8ncompressed RAW, but unfortunately it can only control the main camer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@UltimaGaina  Thanks for your post. I recently made some DNGs with my Galaxy S22 (before update to One UI 6.0) and they are of RAW-type linear which LrC 13.1 is unable to process via AI denoise, what a pity! Do you have an option to get DNG files of mosaic RAW-type?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2024 Jan 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated previously in this thread, use the Lightroom Mobile app to take DNG photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will LR Mobile be able to shoot with all 4 cameras? Right now it only works with the main camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2024 Jan 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will LR Mobile be able to shoot with all 4 cameras? Right now it only works with the main camera.

By @UltimaGaina

I don't know, I never asked that question. 

But really this is a question for the Lightroom ecosystem forum, not the Lightroom Classic forum, as your question is not about Lightroom Classic. (Although you will likely find that Adobe doesn't announce new features in advance, or even give rough estimates of when new features will appear)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 05, 2024 Mar 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Screenshot 2024-03-04 121236.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines