Exit

🔎 Quick Tips: How to give Full Disk Access to Lightroom Classic on macOS

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC HEADER .jpg

How to provide Full Disk Access on macOS

Since macOS 10.14 (Mojave), Apple introduced a new privacy structure to help ensure that all applications obtain user consent before accessing documents, downloads, desktop, iCloud Drive, and network volumes. This has been reinforced in newer versions of macOS. This change prevents unauthorized access to user files and folders.

When Full Disk access & Accessibility permissions are needed, users may be asked to or be required to change the setting in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy for Lightroom Classic manually.   

While for the File & Folders access, the user is prompted to allow or deny when needed. 

Why provide full disk access to Lightroom Classic?

Insufficient or broken permissions may restrict Lightroom Classic from functioning correctly and break your workflows. All tasks that require access to the computer's storage importing/exporting images, cross-app workflows, reading/writing metadata,  and more, behave unexpectedly. It may also lead to missing images, performance issues, unexpected sync issues, and random app crash on launch or while working on a file. 

Watch this video for the steps:

MohitGoyal_0-1686770353032.png

Quick steps to enable full disk access and grant permissions to Lightroom Classic

Follow these steps to prevent the permissions issues from occurring: 

❶  Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Click the Lock icon > Authorize via password > Unlock the lock to allow changes to system settings. 

SameerK_0-1649863460950.png

Add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.

SameerK_0-1651070095792.png

Go to Full Disk Access and add Lightroom Classic by clicking on the (+) button & navigate to the Applications folder on macOS.
Note: Adding Lightroom Classic under Full Disk Access overrides Files and Folders settings. 

SameerK_1-1651063386869.png

Click the Lock icon to save the changes. Restart your computer to see the applied changes. 

Stay tuned for more tips to come.

Related links:

Lightroom Classic system requirements 

Quick Tips: Optimize LrC preferences for better performance 

Basic troubleshooting steps to fix issues in Lightroom Classic 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 388 Replies 388
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

@Vesa5EC1wrote, "Changed manually permissions in folder of external hard drive".

Make sure you grant Full Disk Access, as described in step 3 of the original post in this thread. It looks like this: 

johnrellis_0-1655572067453.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I have gone through dozens of these threads and troubleshoted a lot, but I cannot figure out a solution to this problem. I've used the same drive to store my photos for lightroom for the last few years, but recently lightroom stopped allowing me to import anything from it, and it simply won't show anything that's on the drive. It shows up as a source, but when I click on it it says "no photos found". I hit include subfolders, I've changed privacy settings, I've updated the app and the OS system (mac os monterey 12.4), etc. but to no avail. Lightroom will read other external drives and sd cards, so I assume it's a specific issue with this one, but I can't figure out what could possibly be causing it.

Here's a screenshot of what I see:

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 3.36.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have granted LrC, Photoshop and Adobe Creative Cloud app psecurity and permission full disk access. See the link for additional information.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's it! Full disk access was not enabled. Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your screen shot, you have No Name and four total folders, If you click on each, do you ever see anything?

NoName copy.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRC works on my old Macbook pro. When I connect my camera it automatically shows the pictures to import and on my new macbook pro I get a message: "No photos found" My camera shows up but that's it ????? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ArmandoJan, did you grant LR Full Disk access as described at the top of this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnx John for your reply. Yes I did have all the access set as required etc. In the meantime I found out what the problem was. Apparently (and I find it very strange) LRC could not find the pictures on my camera because of a firmware issue in my EOS5D. Something I did not think of before because up to yesterday on my old MacBook Pro 2019, with exactly the same settings, everything worked perfectly. 

I connected a very recent EOS90D and had no problems whatsoever. That got me thinking. So something in my new notebook required a firmware update in my camera. It works perfectly now.

Kind regards 

Armando 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LIGHTROOM CLASSIC V11.4.1 Won't Export Any Files

I'm on a Macbook Pro OS 12.4

Help! For some reason lightroom won't export anything from my laptop at the moment. I've tried everything and restarting everything too. Any ideas what it could be or how to fix? When I send files to get exported everything runs normal until the loading bar just stays still and no files get exported so I have to cancel it. Doesn't show any erros happening either.

Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 10.16.53 AM.png

{Thread title updated by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry for the trouble with Lightroom Classic.

Where are the original images stored & what is the destination location for the export to an internal or external drive?

Has this started since you upgraded to macOS v12.4 or updated Lightroom Classic to v11.4.1?

Does the export get stuck with a specific set or collection of images? Could you please share a screenshot of the export dialog box to showcase the settings you are using for export?

Please check this thread and ensure Lightroom Classic is added under  Full Disk Access & Accessibility in the macOS preferences: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Let us know if this helps,

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sameer! Giving LR full disk access solved the issue, this was extremely unusual as I've been using the same laptop and everything's been running smooth with the last updates.

Best,

Alejandro C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have been using a MacMini M 1 for a few weeks.
Unfortunately, this shows with in the latest Lightroom Classic version:
11.4.1 [ 202206241800-b406ce4c ] it does not show any preview photos when importing photos from the Sony A 7 IV. Does anyone have any idea what I need to change? Thanks to all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just imported a sample A7 IV raw into my LR 11.4.1 without problems.

As a first troubleshooting step, make sure LR has been granted Full Disk access, as described here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

If that doesn't help, please provide more details about "does not show any preview photos when importing photo." Do you mean the Import window isn't showing the photos at all?  Or is it showing empty thumbnails not displaying any image?  If the latter, after you click Import, do the photos appear in the catalog with proper thumbnails?   Screenshots would go a long way in clarifying what you're seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting an error message when I try to download to LrC--it started yesterday sporadically but it won't allow anything today, not only from my new CF-B card but older ones too, plus an older SD card.   It's not the reader or the card--I can see the images I want to download, but they just won't download (getting the message in the screenshot below).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used LrC for a few years and have never had issues importing photos from either my Canon SIM card or Seagate HHD into LrC. However, now when I try to import photos from my SIM card and move then to my drive (technically "copy photos to a new location and add to catalog") I get an error saying "Could not copy a file to the destination folder because it is not writable." Additionally, when I try to import the photos directly into LrC from my Seagate drive, they do not appear on the import menu - "No photos found." Any clue what's going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something changed in Mac OS, and many people are finding they need to grant LR Full Disk Access. See:

Let us know whether that fixes the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just followed the steps in the link you shared and everything works perfectly again. Thank you for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you resolved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unable to import images from an external drive. During the import process the drive is visible but when selected, its shows no files or folders. See attached screen shot. I've also attached a screen shot of the files on the external drive. This just started happening out of nowhere. Any help would be appreciated!Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 3.30.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 3.30.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this: click on Copy (yes, I know you want to Add, but click on Copy anyway). Then make sure the Destination panel is present on the right hand side and expanded. Then click back to Add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines