• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom: Ability to delete the default develop presets

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[You can now hide the built-in presets in LR 7.3 using a free plugin or manually with a multi-step recipe.  --John Ellis]

It is now possible, though tedious, to delete the built-in presets in LR 7.3 and later. See this recipe: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/delete_default_develop_presets?topic-reply-li... --John Ellis]

I really would like to be able to delete the develop presets that ships with LR3. I don't use them as they are in the way of my own presets when using the Library Module.

Idea Released
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018
The ability to delete the default develop presets has been modified to allow you to hide them instead as of Version 7.4, We are closing this as implemented. We hope it helps keep your workspace tighter!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 111 Replies 111
111 Comments
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not in any simple and straight-forward way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not recommend/support deleting the default presets. That said, users have found ways to do it - that you can try at your own risk:

http://www.pixiq.com/article/getting-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2012 Jun 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't make sense to force your users to use them, and doesn't give them an easy way to remove them, even if you install a folder where all the user presets go to.

Why don't u just install them in the "userspace" to give your users the ability to easily delete the presets they don't like?

I deleted them in all of my LR versions, but I could't get rid of the folders.
And they are disturbing me immense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other parts of LR, this is done differently: E.g. for the local corrections or the file naming templates, you can delete the factory-supplied LR presets at any time, and if you want them back, simply restore them. Why not have it the same way for the development presets?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use Lightroom's default export presets. In fact, I can't. My computer doesn't have a CD drive, so "Burn Full-Sized JPEGs" isn't even possible. Since I can't use them they're just taking up space at the top of my export list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want the ability to remove/delete or rearrange default presets from LR.

At least in LR3 they could all be consolidated to a single folder - now they are each in their own categorized folder and I have no need for any of them, having developed my own presets that match my shooting/editing style.

While it's "not much space" taken, it is jarring to have to skim over the extra folders, and constantly make sure not to organize my presets without a number at the beginning so they fall above the defaults. I can't even rearrange them to suit my own organizational preference.

Being software developed for photographers - and many of them working into advanced skills, I know there are others who would like the same option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2013 Feb 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE allow us to delete the default Lightroom Develop Presets!
I hate scrolling through presets that I do not use or want to get to my presets that I DO use. It is a waste of my valuable time! Even if I delete the presets in the folder, they still appear. Make them go away PLEASE or at least allow us to turn them OFF so all we see are the presets we WANT to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is top of my list of things I do not like about lightroom! Why am I not given the ability to remove these? A decent explanation from The lightroom team would be good as opposed to a copy and pasted reply.

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but why can we not remove them? what was the reasoning for hard coding them and why isnt there an option in the preferences to either remove or hide them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic is 2 years old. Adobe is not interested in our wishes, only in maximizing their efforts (rent the software)...

Forget about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know about the work arounds for this and i can understand the possible reasoning for hard coding these into the develop module, but.....they are annoying!

Would it be so hard to add a tick box into the preferences menu that could "hide default presets" so those of us who have moved beyond the basics can start to organise our own develop presets without being forced into some unlogical method of doing so.

many thanks,

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also want to remove the visibility of the default Lightroom Develop Presets from the Presets Panel. I have never used the default presets ever as I have my own presets. I hate having to stumble past the huge list of Adobe presets to get to my own.

This thread is 2 years old and we're at LR 5.4. Are the Programmers/Customer Support/Product Managers even listening to the users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has Adobe disabled "real" feature request for Lightroom?

You get a feature request form if you select Illustrator but you're directed to the community forums for Lightroom feature requests. What gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2014 Nov 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE allow us to remove the default presets & preset folders. We're adults, we can handle choosing which presets we want and which ones are useless to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean McCormack wrote a "white paper" describing how to do the job:

http://lightroom-blog.com/2010/09/19/...

Note: in Windows 7 you may need Resource Hacker or the like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pixiq page is no more..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was written for LR3 and it breaks LR5, at least for me. Error upon opening LR: "Error changing modules" then the program freezes.

I tried putting an empty "templates" folder back in where the default was removed, LR5 opens and works but still shows each of the default preset folders, there's just no presets in the folders. Doesn't really help.

The point of this post is that it's insane that Adobe won't let use simply right click and remove these default presets, or as others have suggested, have a way to toggle them on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Josh - I assume you are talking about the Mac.

I wonder if the instructions for removal on Windows are still valid (I haven't tried).

PS - I understand people want Adobe to provide a supported method..

Personally, I don't mind hacks, if you only have to do them once, but since this one has to be redone each update, that takes a lot of the fun out of it, for me..

Cheers,
Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future readers: Adobe has made this feedback forum the official way of submitting "real" feature requests and bug reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2014 Nov 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am on Mac, sorry for not mentioning that. No idea if the Windows version still works.

I don't mind doing some minor hacking to remove this kind of stuff either, in LR1 & LR2 they kept the defaults in the same place as user presets - that was a perfect way of doing it, don't know why they ever went away from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2015 Jan 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default presets are clearly beneficial for new users – whether used to simplify complex functions for the most basic users; as demonstrations of the software's capabilities; or as departure points for exploration. However, once their usefulness inevitably wanes, good software design should allow for those presets to be hidden or completely removed.

Unfortunately, this is not the case with Lightroom's default 'Develop' presets, which are not only useless for advanced users, but, more importantly are:

1.) hardwired into the software;
2.) waste valuable screen space (taking up 7 folders in the most collapsed/hidden position);
3.) behave inconsistently with other Lightroom default presets (nearly all of which are user removable);

I suggest that Adobe restructure how Lightroom handles it's default presets. I'm a commercial photographer, and definitely not a coder, but from other Adobe products it seems the best method employs the following pattern:

1.) 'OEM' default presets are included in the application bundle (and therefore available for a 'reset default presets' option)
2.) global defaults presets are stored & registered in the root "/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/" folder (or PC equivalent), allowing users to edit the global defaults
3.) user application preset remain as they are, stored & registered in the user's "~/Library/Application Support/..." folder

As such, a user has the option of completely removing the global default presets if desired (while retaining the option to restore them to their default state).

In researching a solution, I found that I am far from alone in this request. The following thread was one of the more relevant:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/57404...

(Pleaes note: while I appreciate johnbeardy's software and useful contributions to the LR community, I can't disagree more with the relevance of his reply to the linked thread indicating that 'some things aren't designed to be customized'. The current implementation of LR's default presets is both poorly designed and internally inconsistent – and should absolutely be customizable.)

Thank you!
-Matthew
matthewturley.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2015 Jun 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just released the Any Preset plugin, which lets you work very quickly and efficiently with large numbers of presets in both the Library and Develop modules. One of its many features is the ability to hide the built-in Lightroom presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2015 Aug 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it would be great if users had the ability to remove the Adobe provided Lightroom presets if they did not want to use them. This would save about 7 lines of information and reduce scrolling for those that have a lot of preset folders and want a cleaner look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2016 Feb 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very annoying. I always have to look for my own preset folders among all the default ones that I never need.
I don't mind them being there to begin with, but why won't you let us hide them?

(Otherwise, I love Lightroom. I'm sorry. Thank you (: )

Votes

Translate

Translate