Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P:(Masking) Reduce number of clicks, KBSCs to perform certain actions

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Adobe is reading this 🙂

Since the update the masking tool takes one action too many (it sounds minor, but it prolongs the editing process unnecessary in my opinion).

Normally pressing M (or K or shift+M) would show all mask pins already used when hovering the photo with the cursor, just the way it still works using the spot remeval tool (Q). But now pressing M, it opens a new mask, without showing the old pins. Another 'action' is needed to see what masks are already on the photo.

I hope this gets changed soon.

Or am I missing something?

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
84 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PetriPuurunen wrote:

Lightroom was originally developed for fast fluent workflow. Latest changes are something that wasnt tested on real for use. Otherwise these kind oddities and brain-f*rts wouldnt exist on a release version. I hope Adobe will fix this asap.

An untrue assumption. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything that he does is much easier and faster to do in Photoshop. Lightroom is designed for quick adjustments. They made things more complicated. Now I have a headache. They are unlikely to fix it. There are no censorship words for this innovation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several members have made that comment. Three that I can remember. It is absolute rubish.

LrC is not MS Paint etc. It is not some toy post processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An example. Editing model`s face or landscape on earlier version was fast just by "drawing" radial blur selection one after one on face, eyes, clothers etc. And on landscape-shot to various points. On new version it requires for each radiar blur two extra clicks. Try doing this for tens of photos in a row. Explain me how it can be better for user on new version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Goodbye fluent and fast masking - Welcome extra clicks!

I started thread also on same matter.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/changes-on-user-interface-for-local-adj...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On earlier version after radial mask-tool was selected, it stayed select. Then you just "draw" selections over model`s eye, face, clothes, etc. Same for landscape-shots: pick up stones, mountain tops etc. Now you have to select radial blur-tool for _each_ selection.  

Of course; you can use shortcuts. But why Adobe removed direct mask tools from top toolbar?  Now are are hidden to submenu.  I bet that betatesting wasnt wide enough. Basic usability and user interface-tests werent conducted properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I don't know if others have this problem, but while having all those masking options is great, this is slowing my workflow down terribly. Bringing back an addition icon for the gradient brush would help a lot. Maybe have a "quick add" mode so I don't have to go through all the steps.

I work for an aerial photographer and use the gradient mask constantly, multiple times over on every image. So now I need to click on the mask icon, select the gradient icon, then select my saved effect, click the + and do it again for another gradient... it feels like it takes forever compared to the older version. Before I could grab the gradient tool and drag it into place, drag again for another one, again for another one... I didn't have to go through all those steps every time I wanted to apply another gradient. One or two steps to get it done. Obviously you get used to all the additional steps and the panel sticking out there with your layers (prefer not to see that either), but for me it takes longer and I really need speed and efficiency. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard shortcut M will create a mask containing a new linear gradient -- that avoids the extra steps.

"the panel sticking out there with your layers (prefer not to see that either)"

You can dock the mask panel in the right column by dragging the white bar at the center top:

johnrellis_0-1635902547164.png

(LR's only floating/docking panel!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John, I appreciate it. I have used the 'M' shortcut before, but somehow it just doesn't seem to be as fast. I just thought it would be way more helpful to have a way to add a "favorite" or "frequently used" shortcut back to the top or something along those lines. Then if gradients aren't what you use most, maybe you put something else as your quick shortcut. I mean, just providing my opinion of course. I appreciate the addition of new features, just want efficiency since it's Lightroom, I use PS for the heavy lifting. I did end up docking the panel, it just seems to take up a lot of real estate, but it is what it is. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please move into Ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom was always about "Quick bulk edit", which they now completely ruined. The new masking system makes me slower big time, instead of 2 clicks I have to do 6.. Masking like this should be available only if I want to have it, I use Lightroom because of efficiency. These settings belong to Photoshop, where you can further edit your images, if you want. In lightroom i just want to quicky process hundrets of images, which is now extremely frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add an observation. This from getting an idea of mine properly disagreed with.

If you

A) Turn off that "Reset Sliders Automatically"

and

B) Preload the mask, say a Brush for example (Move sliders, etc, before clicking on image)

Then the Mask settings will stick, both in current image, and next

Also, if you

C) Save the current as a new preset (still with Reset Sliders Automatically off)

then, that preset for that brush will apply next time you select new brush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Furthermore: if you are seeking  to find the fastest way to individually commence similar adjustments onto each of many photos, IMO one is missing a trick by not looking for a bulk approach.

Example: I have a group of sequential photos of a lunar eclipse, where I want to apply a radial adjustment to the moon (which is positioned differently in each frame). And I want a sky grad (but the horizon is positioned differently in each frame), and a brushed adjustment on clouds (which vary per frame).

One way would be to set desired default moon local adjustments, then go through the photos drawing a fresh radial adjustment onto each. Then set different local adjustment defaults to be applied to the sky, then go through the photos drawing a sky grad within each. Then set different local adjustments to suit the clouds, then go through again painting where the clouds are within each.

Another way would be to either activate AutoSync before, or to use Sync after, applying and tweaking these three local adjustments together as well as global edits, for one active photo - with the others also highlighted. Then to go through those others one by one (but only once), moving the synced radial filter's location and size to suit where this one's moon is; moving the synced grad to correspond to this image's horizon; rebrushing the synced clouds adjustment to suit this one's clouds.

Even if a Sky or Subject auto selection was involved as part of the active photo's local adjustments which have been synced - there is an Update button which will refresh this, so that it now reflects the actual content of each other photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The new masking system makes me slower big time, instead of 2 clicks I have to do 6"

Can you provide details of those 6 clicks?  

The keyboard shortcuts can make adding brushes and gradients as fast as in LR 10. For example, to add linear gradient, type M, draw the gradient, click Done.

But perhaps you're talking about something different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compare 10.x version to latest one. Just those changes cause extra mouse clicks. "Use keyboard shortcuts" is really a brainless solution; try doing them with all day long and try using Wacom simultaneously.  I bet Adobe havent even tested changes with multiple test users (like it should be done in software development; User Interaface testing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I learned about the "Reset Sliders Automatically" check box, it's 4 clicks instead of 10.x 2.. But still, it gets really tiring. Back then, I clicked on the radial gradient and dragged in on the picture. 2 clicks. Now, I need to click the mask menu, select radial gradient, click "invert" and then drag in on the photo. 4 clicks.
Arguments about keyboard shortcuts are really redundant, I just don't wanna unconfortably use the keyboard, when I didn't have to. I like to lean back, hold my head with the left hand and edit with the right hand through the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use brushes a lot, usually with the same settings. Is there any scope for having a custom panel where there can be several brushes with preset settings, so that I can access them with one click. 

I'm getting used to the keyboard shortcuts for other tools but feel like the new masks feture is slowing down my workflow a bit. 

Just a thought 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at two things

1. In mask adjustment panel, at bottom, turn off that blasted Reset Sliders Automatically

MaskCustom1.png

2. In a mask adjustment panel, some may call this a brush panel, near the top,  click on Custom, select or create a custom brush.

MaskCustom2.png

MaskCustom3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree. Having to click or use the short cut key every time I want to make a radial selection is a major slow down when editing hundreds of photos from a shoot. Would be nice to bring back the ablility to, when you have radial or linear mask selected to drag out/draw multiple gradations without having to reselect the tool.  Or even if there was a short cut key you could hold down to keep it activate like the cap lock? This would be a great compromise. Having to constantly use two hands for what was done with one hand/mouse click is not an improvement in efficiency. I agree the new funtions to masking are great but we need a better/quicker way to acess the core elements that have become a staple for many peoples workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having to click or use the short cut key every time I want to make a radial or linear selection is a major slow down when editing hundreds of photos from a shoot. Would be nice to bring back the ablility to, when you have radial or linear mask selected to drag out/draw multiple gradations without having to reselect the tool.  Or even if there was a short cut key you could hold down to keep it activate like maybe the cap lock on/off? Or even a radio button in the masking interface to turn on "continuous" mode or "sticky" mode to force it to stick on last selected masking tool (radial or linear). This would be a great compromise. Having to constantly use two hands and/or multiple clicks for what was done with one hand/mouse click is not an improvement in efficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone back to the old version and my workflow has been restored.  I think we are in the minority of people who use the software in this way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge with existing Idea:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-masking-reduce-number-of-clicks-kbscs-to-pe...

@wayneheim, after it is merged, please upvote the merged Idea to make it a little more likely Adobe will consider the user feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to merge it with the original idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been merged -- click on the link in your email to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

как добавить в camera raw в разделе ,,кисть,, стиль коррекции, на экран,чтоб не щелкать постоянно для открытия в подменю. это очень важно

img-2022-01-11-21-45-27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate